“Bike for Mom” historic event set to start making world record

Lite Beer

Just got back from wandering around the startup area near Dusit Palace and Dusit Zoo.

To all the grumps poo-pooing the idea, you're wrong, and you're missing out.

I was impressed by several aspects:

1) Tens of thousands of people enjoying themselves. Maybe a hundred thousand, but they were scattered over quite a wide area.

2) Virtually all of them smiling and joking around. Not a sour puss in the bunch that I saw. In spite of the wicked hot sunny day.

3) Tons of bicycles that cost more than my pickup truck. A lot more. Proof that Thailand has an amazing bicycle market.

4) Lots of support services, including medical, security, information guys, bike repairs, traffic contol, etc. Yet not intrusive.

4) Traffic nicely under control and a whopping 5 minute detour in the taxi getting back to Asoke where I live.

6) A high percentage of them were gorgeous bicycle chicks- lots to fall in love with

7) As it turns out, bicycle chicks have amazing legs...

It ends at 21:00 tonight at the same place, when it should be quite a bit cooler. I'd go back if it wasn't past my bed time.

Edited by impulse

Abhisit leads 150 Democrats to join Bike for Mom event
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva led some 150 former Democrat MPs and other party members to join the Bike for Mom event Sunday.

Abhisit and the Democrats gathered at the Wat Parinayok School at the Phan Fah Bridge at 1:30 pm, waiting to join the procession of cyclists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Abhisit-leads-150-Democrats-to-join-Bike-for-Mom-e-30266691.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-16

They should organize this at least twice a month. Love it, it's great to go for a 40 km spin with so much police and military personnel guaranteeing your safety.

No way I would go for a bicycle ride on ordinary days.

As a regular cyclist I could not think of anything more horrendous than being stuck in the middle of a pack of xx,000 cyclists who have no idea how to ride in a bunch. Dangerous? Frustrating? If you really want to ride come and join our group in Chiang Mai. We ride most days. This week I covered 499.5 kilos. Some wonderful roads up here.

They should organize this at least twice a month. Love it, it's great to go for a 40 km spin with so much police and military personnel guaranteeing your safety.

No way I would go for a bicycle ride on ordinary days.

As a regular cyclist I could not think of anything more horrendous than being stuck in the middle of a pack of xx,000 cyclists who have no idea how to ride in a bunch. Dangerous? Frustrating? If you really want to ride come and join our group in Chiang Mai. We ride most days. This week I covered 499.5 kilos. Some wonderful roads up here.

No thanks.

You do it once for a few hours, surely with a billion kms a week you are skilled enough to avoid any mayhem at the most likely incredible speed of 10 kmh?thumbsup.gif

Its a family event meant to bring more people onto pushbikes and celebrate the Queens birthday, something to be applauded and participated in, particularly if you are a cyclist and not a "I go further than you snob".

BTW I did, not for the whole distance, wasnt in Bkk, by the time I joined it was spread out and very well organized.

Edited by kaorop

Just got back from wandering around the startup area near Dusit Palace and Dusit Zoo.

To all the grumps poo-pooing the idea, you're wrong, and you're missing out.

I was impressed by several aspects:

1) Tens of thousands of people enjoying themselves. Maybe a hundred thousand, but they were scattered over quite a wide area.

2) Virtually all of them smiling and joking around. Not a sour puss in the bunch that I saw. In spite of the wicked hot sunny day.

3) Tons of bicycles that cost more than my pickup truck. A lot more. Proof that Thailand has an amazing bicycle market.

4) Lots of support services, including medical, security, information guys, bike repairs, traffic contol, etc. Yet not intrusive.

4) Traffic nicely under control and a whopping 5 minute detour in the taxi getting back to Asoke where I live.

6) A high percentage of them were gorgeous bicycle chicks- lots to fall in love with

7) As it turns out, bicycle chicks have amazing legs...

It ends at 21:00 tonight at the same place, when it should be quite a bit cooler. I'd go back if it wasn't past my bed time.

Good post... and all true.

Thais like to have fun.

That's one of the reasons I prefer living here.

Before claiming world historic, did anyone invite Guinness World Records? Or is this another made-in-Thailand miracle.... Like the cure for Ebola earlier this year?

136,411 cyclists were recognized by Guinness World Records

it's nowhere near as many as I'd thought would go, with all the publicity and spin, but sounds well organised for once

Anyone know which charities benefited from the sale of all the t-shirts?

Probably the same 'charities' that sell whistles, clappers, etc.

Folks feeding their families. The folks that made the shirts, the truckers who delivered them, the guys who screen printed them.

Here, they sell the T-Shirt for $3.00 and who cares where the "profit" goes? Lots of Thai kids ate dinner today because Mom worked at the screen printers or Dad drove the delivery truck.

Back home, they sell $20 T-Shirts and donate $0.46 of that to a charity, after expenses, overhead, advertising and on and on. And then spend $50 a plate for a banquet to "celebrate" the donation and thank the volunteers.