Buying land

My wife family have quite a bit of land and have houses dotted about on it some of them quite close. Her family is massive , Sisters , brothers, aunts , uncles , cousins, nephew, nieces all living in within a kilometer of our house. The land comes from one major source something like great , great grand mother and has been distributed verbally rather than legally to the whole family. As mentioned its a lot of land. Anyway the land we are getting is between our house and the road. Her uncle and old rice farmer of about 80 , has had enough and is gone to live with his Son. He was still planting last year .

So to give him a bit of dough and an opportunity for our kids he asked us if we wanted to buy his house land when he moved out and buy it in our kids name. The land area for the house is only about half a Rai, We are going to give him 300K , hes worked all his life in the Paddy has rented his Rice land out so does not need the house anymore.Its a nice spot by the road and has a view of miles and miles of paddy

My concern is there is adjoining land of ours to the back and a cousin either side , all this land has been handed down from generation to generation basically by word of mouth and family agreement no money changed hands, so its difficult to define where the land starts and ends. Its not now that worries me its 20 years down the road when my kids will be living there. I will need something on paper and a mutual agreement probably under the signature of a lawyer may be enough. Anyone know legally how this sits. I was thinking of getting a survey done but their are no coordinates for these small pieces of land the family put their houses on, just co ordinates for the original Mass

The first thing to determine is, is the land held under a Chanote (title deed with full rights of ownership, use and sale) and in who's name is the Chanote held.

If so a sale of a piece of land from the Chanote can be agreed and made (recorded at the local land office). The land office will survey and mark the boundaries of the land you are buying.

There is a rule about how many times a Chanote can be divided (8 times I believe, but check this), the point being that the maximum splits may have already been made.

Also check the no debts are held on the land title.

One final check, make sure that this sale is not treading on the toes of family members - if there is even the slightest suggestion of disagreement over this land in the extended family, buy elsewhere.

Sounds like a typical recipe for disaster I'm afraid.

Good luck in your venture,as above the land needs to have Chanote,but also as above the usual issue ends up being with the extended family who nine times out of ten cop the snot.

Sounds like a typical recipe for disaster I'm afraid.

Good luck in your venture,as above the land needs to have Chanote,but also as above the usual issue ends up being with the extended family who nine times out of ten cop the snot.

Yeah true enough , On the opposite side of the road some old bird was selling 5 rai for 3 million but 5 rai is too much. Ive known these people well for 13 years or so. Its just their kids I'm worried about in 20 years time. I wont build anything too palatial on it just in case

The first thing to determine is, is the land held under a Chanote (title deed with full rights of ownership, use and sale) and in who's name is the Chanote held.

If so a sale of a piece of land from the Chanote can be agreed and made (recorded at the local land office). The land office will survey and mark the boundaries of the land you are buying.

There is a rule about how many times a Chanote can be divided (8 times I believe, but check this), the point being that the maximum splits may have already been made.

One final check, make sure that this sale is not treading on the toes of family members - if there is even the slightest suggestion of disagreement over this land in the extended family, buy elsewhere.

That is good advice thank you. I want the area defined , so i know what I have to play with and don't block/encroach on anyone else s land . They are all very vague about whose is whose , I don't suppose to them it matters. There is a 2 story house on the land a wooden effort, the wood is still good and may use it as a long room for second floor. the view is worth the money alone , Temples and rivers at the back, mile upon mile of Paddy to the front which at the moment is not visible from my house

Never buy family land in Thailand.

If you want to give your wife money to buy land, let her buy somewhere else.

If you love the old guy and want to give him money, just do it, no strings attached.

PS

Building a house on family land is an even worse idea than buying family land.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

That is good advice thank you. I want the area defined , so i know what I have to play with and don't block/encroach on anyone else s land . They are all very vague about whose is whose , I don't suppose to them it matters. There is a 2 story house on the land a wooden effort, the wood is still good and may use it as a long room for second floor. the view is worth the money alone , Temples and rivers at the back, mile upon mile of Paddy to the front which at the moment is not visible from my house

Its not 'very good advice', its simply advice on the question you ask.

Very good advice is 'Don't mistake advice that supports your personal view as necessarily being good advice, it is often and more often than not, very bad advice'.

I've told you a few of the most important things to look at if you proceed with your plan to buy this land.

Others have given you far better advice on the matter of buying land from family and building on family land.

Its not 'very good advice', its simply advice on the question you ask.

Very good advice is 'Don't mistake advice that supports your personal view as necessarily being good advice, it is often and more often than not, very bad advice'.

I've told you a few of the most important things to look at if you proceed with your plan to buy this land.

Others have given you far better advice on the matter of buying land from family and building on family land.

You caught me out there, go away with your bad advice ;0)

Just go to the land office and get a new land title drawn up. I'm sure if you explain to the old geezer its for the kids benefit there will be no losing face stuff.

I'm married into a similar large thai family; the wife and I are about to start a development on her mum's land (not condo's) in Rama 2. Yes its family land and the wife will inherit it anyway.

Edited by fish fingers

Just go to the land office and get a new land title drawn up. I'm sure if you explain to the old geezer its for the kids benefit there will be no losing face stuff.

I'm married into a similar large thai family; the wife and I are about to start a development on her mum's land (not condo's) in Rama 2. Yes its family land and the wife will inherit it anyway.

I spoke to the Trouble about it today funnily enough. Going to get the area defined, Im not scared of he family taking it back , mainly I dont want to encroach on anyone elses , and they'll think I'm a farang Land grabber , not a massive amount of money either

Can of worms

Either give him a bottle of whiskey for the land or walk away

Yes, verbal agreements are great but not where farangs are involved

You build s house, you lose it in the future

He said, I said, they said wont be worth a baht when you waste your money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I appreciate even the slightly less optimistic posts , keeps me on my toes a bit , I am going to get a survey done and pegged out so I can see the limits and have them recorded and verified. The house that stand there now is little decrepit on the brick/concrete downstairs but the whole upper floor and roof the wood is in superb condition, will be used again for sure. Not thinking of doing anything with it yet, a couple of years maybe