Liverpool man recovering after savage axe attack in Cambodia

Jonathan Fairfield

Liverpool man recovering after savage axe attack in Cambodia

A Liverpool man is recovering in hospital after being hit over the head with an axe in a savage random attack in Cambodia.

Phillip Shimmin, 26, had 20 stitches after being struck twice while in a park in the Daun Penh district of capital city Phnom Penh last week.

He has been treated in two hospitals and said he was about to be sent to Bangkok for further treatment.

Mr Shimmin, from Netherley, arrived in the country last month with his husband to work on charity projects.

Police in Cambodia have charged a man with intentional violence.

Mr Shimmin said his attacker hit him with the axe and then “walked off casually”.

Absolutely disgusting attack that needs to be condemned in the extreme. If Cambodia had the death penalty this <deleted> attacker would deserve it. I hope the locals give out a vicious beating just like a mother who beat her son on the road between Siem Reap and Tonle Sap yesterday morning.

It concerns me that these random acts of violence against foreigners might be the overt response to an underlying Khmer seething anger from years of past abuse and human rights violations in Cambodia...

When I visited Phom Penn I was looking forward to a grand ole time as a tourist and first time visitor...did not stay long...found people to be suspicious and wary of strangers...not friendly at all...IMHO