Retirement visa

Hi all

I currently hold a non immigrant (o) multiple entry visa based on marriage to my Thai wife.The visa is valid from 10 December 2014 and expires on 9th December this year.I returned back to the UK in April this year and will return again to Thailand on 5th October.I understand that upon arrival I will be given 3 months entry that will take me up until January 2016.I then wish to obtain a retirement visa.I have held the equivalent of more than 800,000 baht in British pounds in my Siam commercial foreign deposit account for more than 3 months.

My question is do i have to apply for my retirement visa before the expiry of my non immigrant visa i.e December 9th or can i apply when, or just before the entry stamp expires in January 2016?Also what documentation other than a letter from my bank confirming the deposit of more than the equivalent of 800,000 baht and the fact that it's been deposited for more than 3 months is required?

Many thanks.

You must apply before the allowed stay period ends (so early January) but always best to do a week or two early in case of some paperwork mistake or you get ill. You will need the bank letter and update of account book and copies of visa/entry and data pages of passport plus departure card. A photo taken within last six months in 4x6cm size (they are not normally strict on size) attached to filled out TM.7 form with your phone number on back. Some proof of address will likely be asked. Marriage certificate and copy of her home register might be good to have for that. Advise which office you will use for current reports of anything else being asked.

You can apply for the extension up to 30 days before your 90 day entry ends in January.

For the first application for an extension of stay based upon retirement the money only has to be int the bank for 60 days.

Whether you can use the funds in a foreign currency account to apply will depend upon your local immigration office. You should confirm they will accept it.

You will need a letter confirming the amount in your account converted to Baht on the date the letter is written. You will need a statement or bank book to confirm it has been the bank for 60 days on the date you apply for the extension.

For my case, i applied the non imm o in nonthaburi and we need to apply in another office?.May i have the address of this office. thanks

You did not get a non-o visa at an immigration office unless you did a conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

You probably have a one year extension of stay.

If you are living in Nonthaburi that is the office you should be using.

Hi again

Just to clarify I shall be applying from the Phitsanulok immigration office located in the centre of town.

Many many thanks for such swift replies,you've been most helpful.

You should check with them to find out if they will a accept foreign currency account.