Powerful bomb explode near Rajprasong intersection wounding 20 people

webfact

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too early to speculate but according to a Thai expert on BBC tonight , since the bomb was placed at the shrine it was not primarily targeting tourists , but local Thais. So it could very well be a political motive.

Too early to speculate but according to a Thai expert on BBC tonight , since the bomb was placed at the shrine it was not primarily targeting tourists , but local Thais. So it could very well be a political motive.

Not a hope , what would be the point the Junta are on the back foot , its also a massive tourist attraction

but since it was inside the shrine, a religious symbol, it could very well have been religious. see how that works? easy to make short cuts.

Holy shiiii, just checked the location of the explosion. The explosion happened at the place I used to cross everyday. Its very near mixx nightclub, I used to walk from my hotel to there. Damn, I crossed that intersection literally everyday like 2-3 months ago.

So what ? ,you wernt there last night were you ?

I'm surprised that something like this hasn't happened on the BTS by now. I have never had my bags or luggage checked when entering a BTS station. I also haven't seen anyone else checked. Personally, I think that the lack of security is terrible and have always expected it to happen on a BTS service. I know this is aside from this terrible event. I just hope that this highlights the fact that if people can bomb the centre of Bangkok then surely they can cause maximum carnage on the BTS system if people aren't checked on a regular basis.

I know this is a little beside this subject but I just wanted to highlight that fact.

RIP the deceased and condolences to their families.

Have you been expecting the BTS to be bombed? If so why do you continue to use it? Very strange comment.

Not really a strange comment. It doesn`t take much imagination to see BTS, as well as many other things/places, being attractive targets. If you`re living in BKK, then it`s difficult not to use the BTS unless you want to be stuck in traffic half the day.

Strange to me that if you were expecting something bad to happen then you would continue to use that same service.

Channel 3 wouldn't even stop broadcasting it's trashy soaps while all this going on. Deplorable!

Same as BBC didn`t stop broadcasting `Eastenders` after the London underground bombings or the American soaps didn`t stop after 9/11.Deplorable!

Completely wrong! Even the home shopping channel along with ALL SOAP CHANNELS broadcast 9/11 news right after it happened. Don't apologise it's ugly.

Holy shiiii, just checked the location of the explosion. The explosion happened at the place I used to cross everyday. Its very near mixx nightclub, I used to walk from my hotel to there. Damn, I crossed that intersection literally everyday like 2-3 months ago.

So what? I used to walk across the WTC every morning to work before 9/11.

So what ? ,you wernt there last night were you ?

If you haven't anything useful to say keep your trap shut.

Now why would anyone be interested in knowing that ? Why bother to post such an irrelevance?

Maybe he's just had a chance to catch up on his own mortality. Circumstance intervened and he doesn't take that route anymore but acknowledges he could have been blown to bits on another day.

We all think the same, I reckon. My wife was relating to me our last visit there as she was of similar mind [next to Zen].

Edited by wooloomooloo

I'm surprised that something like this hasn't happened on the BTS by now. I have never had my bags or luggage checked when entering a BTS station. I also haven't seen anyone else checked. Personally, I think that the lack of security is terrible and have always expected it to happen on a BTS service. I know this is aside from this terrible event. I just hope that this highlights the fact that if people can bomb the centre of Bangkok then surely they can cause maximum carnage on the BTS system if people aren't checked on a regular basis.

I know this is a little beside this subject but I just wanted to highlight that fact.

Have you been expecting the BTS to be bombed? If so why do you continue to use it? Very strange comment.

Police ruling out southern insurgents already? Hmm....

The problem with the investigation is that if the truth is too damaging to the country, like southern Malays-Thais bringing terrorism further north, I really don't see it coming out. better to put out the fire behind closed doors.

Well if the Southern bombers are truly in Bangkok-only-Bangkok,.... , people there are truly in trouble......

Not really a strange comment. It doesn`t take much imagination to see BTS, as well as many other things/places, being attractive targets. If you`re living in BKK, then it`s difficult not to use the BTS unless you want to be stuck in traffic half the day.

Strange to me that if you were expecting something bad to happen then you would continue to use that same service

It's just the same as I take the odds of an aeroplane crashing every every time I board, Dezy1801. It's not very likely but there is that chance. But when I talk to a c**t then I know that next time I speak to him there's much more chance that the same kind stupid chat will evolve. I've made this exception for you out of the kindness of my heart. Don't expect it again with a comment like that.

Edited by jonaz

I bet it was. The location for the bomb has been chosen to deliver a message of terror to Thais and to foreigners.

Not a hope , what would be the point the Junta are on the back foot , its also a massive tourist attraction

You never know. I lived in Yangon whilst the bombings happened there. They were mostly harmless, attacking public toilets, however there was one in the Traders, and once in a supermarket. Word was, "a group in control" were responsible as to vindicate their existence and justify their position of power....

Explosions and chaos was the excuse for military intervention. Explosions and chaos insures their retention. Pray for the innocent lives lost in a moment of terror. This could have happen to any one of us in this forum. Who hasn't walked or rode passed this shine?

Yes of course, took too long to come up with this conspiracy theory.

It didn't take long for the crazies to make an appearance.

I clicked the link but there is no option to exit full screen and attempt to tell the idiot who edited the video he's a compete hoax......

You're right though.....these guys have no shame using horrible incidents to promote themselves.....as if nobody knows any better

I am so tempted to play internet detective on this but hope others also refrain and at least give it some time out of respect for the victims as well as it is all much of what is being reported will be changing in the coming days if not longer. RIP and thought go out to the injured maimed.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

I am so tempted to play internet detective on this but hope others also refrain and at least give it some time out of respect for the victims as well as it is all much of what is being reported will be changing in the coming days if not longer. RIP and thought go out to the injured maimed.

I'm with you in some respects. But my Thai wife, here with me in the UK, is convinced Thaksin supporters. I'm sure she's allowed her opinion.

What do I know.

Edited by wooloomooloo

A few years back there was a New Year's Eve bomb that went off just up the street, near the khlong. Did they ever come up with a culprit for that?

Then the 2010 occupation of that intersection, and the subsequent looting and arson.

That the shrine itself was damaged would lead me to think it was not a Thai national (or rather, not a Buddhist one), but maybe that's the idea.

On the a business day between 5 and 7pm that intersection is gridlocked in all directions. The body count could have been much higher.

Isn`t it weird, every time I`m going to travel, there`s some drama going on.

I came to Thailand first in 2010.

- When I was going back it was shooting both in Udon and BKK and a volcano eruption on Iceland (departure cancelled). Forced me to go to Laos instead where I waited 1 month.

- Then the big flood in 2011.

- Then the 2012 Bangkok bombings (departure delayed by 4 hours due to the airport security).

- Then it was some protesting and bombing in BKK in 2013 (lost my flight).

- Then it was the coup in 2014 and an unrelated 20 hour delay from Norwegian Air Shuttle.

- Then a cabin crew strike (Norwegian Air Shuttle) when I was coming to Thailand last time earlier this year.

- ... and now this as I`m due to travel back to Norway again, though not before next week.

Could also mention my wife and I was suppose to have been on a bus that crashed in Surat Thani and killed many, but the bus was already full (which was wife has said was unusual that early) so we took the next one (we learned the next day about the crash).

There`s a lot going on in Thailand, that`s for sure.

Maybe you should consider to stop traveling!

Actually, it may be the last time. My plan is to settle down next time I arrive in Thailand (next month).

Wow - what great news, you can then spend more time telling us all about your fantastic travel experiences.

Wakened up earlier than intended and now trying to get to grips with this terrible news.

BBC's Jonathan Head reported that an unnamed govt official said early on that tourism had been targeted and the studio anchor has quoted the defence minister as saying foreigners were the intended targets.

I'd like to think the spokespeople have some idea what they're talking about rather than the usual obligation to say something, anything. It's not a sign of inefficiency to say something like ' wait until more is known ' but unfortunately that's not the usual style.

BANGKOK: -- Several cars were also damaged and injured

My thoughts go out to those that have been savagely denied the right to live by some scum that think butchering innocent people is somehow justified, I sometimes don't want to be affiliated to the human race and this is one of those times -

Give us all strength to deal with this - what a tragedy and a waste of human life

feeling very sad right now

I hope they are getting the rope ready for the cowardly scum that did this

Leave no stone uncovered

I have other thoughts but I will keep them for now - keep an eye on the news these last few days