Powerful bomb explode near Rajprasong intersection wounding 20 people

webfact

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone actually given blood in response to the emergency requests? Tried phoning Thai Red Cross donation centre and just got stuck in a loop in the auto switchboard. Samitivej not taking blood, Police General Hospital and Chula not answering phone (not surprising as they will be busy) but I don't want to turn up and get in the way.

Would you rush in knowing that very often there are additional bombs set off with delays timed just right to kill the rescue personal?

BANGKOK (AP) - At least 1 dead as large explosion rocks major Bangkok intersection; cause unclear.

i'm reposting my last comment from my Forum Blog (as my forum thread was closed adn redirected to here)

I live very close to there.. (a few minutes walk)

its really buzzing with sirens.

and yes,, i felt the blast sound (vibrations of it) through my body in my condo.

tonnes of emergency services now I can see...

but really.. I must say how pathetically SLOW they were to arrive. (especially as its a couple of minutes drive away).

at least Emergency Bikes should have been the first ones to the scene... (but I heard NOTHING until at least 15 minutes after the blast).

that in itself is a story.. the shocking response time!

it has taken more than 40 minutes (since the blast) to free-up a lane of traffic so that emergency services vehicles can hurry to and from the blast site.

Even 15 minutes is pretty risky.

Rescue vehicles in Thailand are a bad joke.

People are not required to pull over and let an ambulance pass...they crawl through traffic like everyone else...why even have sirens on and lights flashing???

Wow, really? In Thailand the ambulance doesn't have free pass? Cars don't have to pull over? That's insane.

no, its not insane, it is somebody who has no idea what they are talking about making himself feel important on the internet by spreading ignorant misinformation

So you mean people let the ambulance through? Because if not, then it's insane that they don't realise that someday it could be them needing help. Or even at this very moment that they

don't let the ambulance through, one of THEIR family member could be dying. Ignorance is bliss for some people.

Why are the major news outlets reporting this as "Totally Unexpected?"

I think it has something to do with the fact that nobody expected it, perhaps apart from you that is.

Actually Chiang Mai, I also guessed something like this might happen. Its not such a big leap.

Its almost as if you believe Thailand is not a place where bombings occur on a regular basis.

Have you heard about the troubles with the Muslims down south and the red shirt movement.

There were a few bombings in Bangkok around the beginning of last year.

And FYI, Thaksin and his red shirts refuse to stop involving themselves in Thai politics.

Wake up and smell the coffee boy, 'unexpected'?, perhaps by a deaf ostrich with their head stuck up their jacksy.

For the rest of us, just more tot-for-tat violence.

I guess it's good to buy a house near some hospital then and not count on ambulances.

I live in central BKK and have lived here for many years.

Virtually every day, I see ambulances with lights and sirens blaring stuck in BKK traffic and no one around them even trying to move their vehicles to clear a path. I mean, NO ONE!

Same thing on streets and highways that aren't gridlocked. The Thai drivers just keep tooling down the road and don't seem to pay any attention to whether there's an ambulance coming up behind them.

That's very sad to hear... As I said before, those ignorant people don't realize that the ambulance may be coming for THEM in the future. And at the time they don't let the ambulance through

some of THEIR family member can be dying. It truly blows my mind that people just don't care when the ambulance is coming.

I better rent some flat 100 meters to the hospital... ;)

I think the location is significant. There would be plenty of places in Thailand tourists could be targeted in greater numbers with fewer surveillance cameras around (eg night spots like in the Bali bombings).

The Erawan shrine is significant to Thais more so than to tourists. The area also saw political violence a few years ago. I don't think its religious fundamentalists. I think its political. Sh!t just got real.

I agree but I think its probably not going to endear the perpetrators side to anyone. Unless this is the clarion call for a larger coordinated reaction. Which might explain closing all the stuff tomorrow.

Correct.

We still don't know who is to blame (although my gut feeling points south, because the reds have nothing to gain from such barbaric attack) and while it is not a game, such an attack certainly changes the rules.

RIP - what a terrible act.

To me it seems the reds have everything to gain from this - when tourism takes a hit then the economy tanks even more than it already does, and people will want the businessman back in power. Because all his other shenanigans aside, Thaksin certainly was better at managing the economy than the old military guys who seem to idle away their time in power with nonsense like alcohol bans around schools and "thainess". No one cares about these things when the economy goes down the drain. Tourism and particularly Chinese tourists have been the light in the darkness for this military government.

I am not saying the reds or Thaksin's infamous "black guards" did it; I don't know that. But the reds have everything to gain from destabilizing the government. Of course in order for the plan to work, nobody who didn't have to know would know about it, and they'd deny it until the end of time.

Southern insurgents can't be ruled out because they might do something totally irrational. But I don't see them gaining anything from this, except resentment and more repression. I always figured there was a very good reason they did not attack BKK in the past. Such an attack would not further their cause, which is a separate state in the south.

And how will the reds gain by turning the Thai people against them.

yes.

the southern insurgents on the other hand won't lose support if the attack is traced back to them

RT@RichardBarrow: 9:40pm Thai media reporting that the explosion was from a TNT bomb hidden under a bench and not a motorcycle bomb #Bangkok

i would be interested to know how they determine it was trinitrotoluene at this early stage.

Would you rush in knowing that very often there are additional bombs set off with delays timed just right to kill the rescue personal?

BANGKOK (AP) - At least 1 dead as large explosion rocks major Bangkok intersection; cause unclear.

i'm reposting my last comment from my Forum Blog (as my forum thread was closed adn redirected to here)

I live very close to there.. (a few minutes walk)

its really buzzing with sirens.

and yes,, i felt the blast sound (vibrations of it) through my body in my condo.

tonnes of emergency services now I can see...

but really.. I must say how pathetically SLOW they were to arrive. (especially as its a couple of minutes drive away).

at least Emergency Bikes should have been the first ones to the scene... (but I heard NOTHING until at least 15 minutes after the blast).

that in itself is a story.. the shocking response time!

it has taken more than 40 minutes (since the blast) to free-up a lane of traffic so that emergency services vehicles can hurry to and from the blast site.

Even 15 minutes is pretty risky.

Rescue vehicles in Thailand are a bad joke.

People are not required to pull over and let an ambulance pass...they crawl through traffic like everyone else...why even have sirens on and lights flashing???

Wow, really? In Thailand the ambulance doesn't have free pass? Cars don't have to pull over? That's insane.

no, its not insane, it is somebody who has no idea what they are talking about making himself feel important on the internet by spreading ignorant misinformation

So you mean people let the ambulance through? Because if not, then it's insane that they don't realise that someday it could be them needing help. Or even at this very moment that they

don't let the ambulance through, one of THEIR family member could be dying. Ignorance is bliss for some people.

the enforcement of all thai traffic laws is dire, and motorists are notoriously ignorant.

worse, often there is nowhere to pull over too if traffic is bad.

but it is law to clear a path for emergency services.

the fact that proper ambulances are few and far between, generally privately owned, and that any idiot can buy flashing lights doesn't much help

ISOC says there are three possible motives of bomb blast
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Internal Security Operation Command announced that the there were three possible reasons for the blast: political conflict, state official reshuffle, and international terrorism.

It ruled out insurgents from the deep South.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-17

When they find the woman who placed that shopping bag @ the shrine, and they will.....

They should use pipes and blow torches until everyone is given up.....

That is if she's still alive!

RIP to those innocent people..

A true tragedy!

The extend of this explosion is much bigger than what could be caused by a bomb in a shopping bag. Most of the explosives used in the southern terrorists attacks are home made and not commercial or military grade, for that reason you need much bigger quantities to cause damage on this scale.

It's really not difficult to figure out who is behind it. Whenever Thai tourism picks up; the very same person and his cronies do their outmost to ruin Thai tourism and economy. The sick bastard simply couldn't get over hugely successful event which took place yesterday - Bike for Mom. Mr T simply had to do something really nasty. This time he miscalculated. This atrocity will cost him dearly.

Good to know you have it all figured out Sherlock. But you know nothing.

Again, trying in these circumstances to forward your own political agenda and views is crass.

Mackie has an option you don't like? Its a forum for airing opinions.

Its not crass to air an opinion. Ironically that's what all the pro redshirt brigade insist is their god-given right?

I agree with Mackie. Sound points well made without resorting to insults or some supposed moral superiority.

National police chief says only one bomb exploded at Ratchaprasong

BANGKOK, 17 August 2015 (NNT) - Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police Pol.Gen. Somyot Phumphanmuang has confirmed there was only one bomb inside the Erawan Shrine at Ratchaprasong intersection. Officers are identifying the bomb type.

At 9 PM, the national police chief said 12 people had been killed by the explosion but the number of injuries had not yet been confirmed. An urgent meeting would be called at the police headquarters, he said.

Spokesman of the Royal Thai Police Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawut Thawornsiri said the bombing at the Erawan Shrine was not similar to the explosion in front of the Siam Paragon shopping complex in February this year. The Erawan Shrine bombing was intended to kill but the Siam Paragon blast was intended to create chaos, he said.

The national police chief, the commander of the metropolitan police bureau and military officials have met at the police command center to monitor the situation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-17 footer_n.gif

RT@8td: BKK Governor @Sukhumbhandp: Closed-circuit camera footage of #BangkokBlast is being handed over to police. https://t.co/ZzFhFwRnE0

Wow - real intelligence being displayed, hand it over before it's lost or misplaced.

Not wanting to be (too) negative I would still almost say "write-protect and copy before handing over to the police"

Edited by rubl