Powerful bomb explode near Rajprasong intersection wounding 20 people

webfact

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is absolutely zero proof, but I've often said in the past that if the "insurgents" down south took their show on the road, to places like BKK, Pattaya, and Phuket, they could cripple Thailand in a matter of days. On the one hand, this could have absolutely nothing to do with them. On the other hand, who knows?

Oh, so that is where they got the idea. You should be careful who you speak to in the future.

Of course, the potential for the expansion of the South Thailand conflict out of that region has existed for decades. I think the reason that has not happened (and I doubt it has happened now either) is that there is the understanding that IF that is done the blowback from the massive Buddhist majority on the south would be of SHOCK AND AWE magnitude. So basically, just not tactically wise.

In the cctv video recording, before the yellow shirt suspect sat down, the white and red shirt guys seem to have been keeping the bench for him.

Will be interesting to talk to these 2 other men.

A Kiwi paramedic was one of the first people on the scene helping. Listening to his interview here on NZ radio he said that when he had finished helping he went back to his motor bike which he had hastily parked just to the side of the scene. He noticed a bag hanging on the wall / fence ? behind his bike at head height. He alerted police at the site who looked at it then called in Army to deal to. Had to go to an appointment so did not hear it all but from what I caught of this guy's interview its sounds like there was another device that was set to go off once emergency services were there but it failed to detonate. Would certainly add to the reasoning that there were more than the one in the yellow Gucci top involved.

There is absolutely zero proof, but I've often said in the past that if the "insurgents" down south took their show on the road, to places like BKK, Pattaya, and Phuket, they could cripple Thailand in a matter of days. On the one hand, this could have absolutely nothing to do with them. On the other hand, who knows?

Oh, so that is where they got the idea. You should be careful who you speak to in the future.

Of course, the potential for the expansion of the South Thailand conflict out of that region has existed for decades. I think the reason that has not happened (and I doubt it has happened now either) is that there is the understanding that IF that is done the blowback from the massive Buddhist majority on the south would be of SHOCK AND AWE magnitude. So basically, just not tactically wise.

If the conflict was extended say by terrorist attacks and bombings in Bangkok and other urban centres it would be the Thai Government that would be the loser.I have no doubt the Thai military would seek crushing retribution and - given its record of brutality and incompetence - it needs no explanation of how measured and selective that would be.The Southern insurgency would become internationalised with the interest of Al- Quaeda type organisations on one side and intense international scrutiny on the other.In the latter regard there would be little regional sympathy or ASEAN solidarity from key players like Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei.There would be a period of appalling carnage leading to negotiations and some form of autonomy for the Southern provinces, precisely the opposite of what the Thai establishment wants.

The tragedy is that the problem could be solved and the Thais are skilled at patient negotiation.A solution is possible.Fortunately all the evidence suggests the problem is still very much a local one and the influence of foreigh Islamists while present is not at an advanced stage.The problem - and it's a hefty one - is the stiff necked stupidity of the Bangkok political/military establishment epitomised by Prem's refusal to accept Khun Anand Panyarachun's recommendations on giving Yawi an official status alongside Thai.Thaksin was dreadful on the South but with a few exceptions (to be fair the Junta after 2006 had the right idea) other politicians have been equally heavy handed.

Still the dimbulbs will always prefer the "Shock and Awe" approach.Worked so well in Iraq after all.

And from the vid we can definitely see they and their accomplice are no way Muslims

If the conflict was extended say by terrorist attacks and bombings in Bangkok and other urban centres it would be the Thai Government that would be the loser.I have no doubt the Thai military would seek crushing retribution and - given its record of brutality and incompetence - it needs no explanation of how measured and selective that would be.The Southern insurgency would become internationalised with the interest of Al- Quaeda type organisations on one side and intense international scrutiny on the other.In the latter regard there would be little regional sympathy or ASEAN solidarity from key players like Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei.There would be a period of appalling carnage leading to negotiations and some form of autonomy for the Southern provinces, precisely the opposite of what the Thai establishment wants.

The tragedy is that the problem could be solved and the Thais are skilled at patient negotiation.A solution is possible.Fortunately all the evidence suggests the problem is still very much a local one and the influence of foreigh Islamists while present is not at an advanced stage.The problem - and it's a hefty one - is the stiff necked stupidity of the Bangkok political/military establishment epitomised by Prem's refusal to accept Khun Anand Panyarachun's recommendations on giving Yawi an official status alongside Thai.Thaksin was dreadful on the South but with a few exceptions (to be fair the Junta after 2006 had the right idea) other politicians have been equally heavy handed.

Still the dimbulbs will always prefer the "Shock and Awe" approach.Worked so well in Iraq after all.

You guys don't know what you are talking about it is way over your heads. The South problems would have no way in spilling into Bangkok or other parts of the country as the Muslim as I said before fear the backlash and international support would cease. Other issues you forgot is drugs! They would lose out if that were to happen! That is why it is localized.

Bangkok bomb: Thai authorities suspect Uighur link to Erawan shrine attack

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bangkok-bomb-thai-authorities-suspect-uighur-link-erawan-shrine-attack-1516045?

Have you even read the link ? The article says are are investigating this line amongst others they is nothing in that article which states the RTP suspect any link,

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bangkok-bomb-thai-authorities-suspect-uighur-link-erawan-shrine-attack-1516045?

Interesting - I believe that possibility was floated earlier in this thread. If true, it might shut some of the 'this has Muslim extremism all over it' brigade up. How many years have the insurgents in the south had to mount an attack on BKK / Pattaya / Hua Hin ? The Police cant rule anything out, but Thai Muslims know they have everything to lose and nothing to gain by mounting an attack like this. Granted, it only takes one fruitcake with access to explosives, but this was a very specific target and I cant see the upside for the insurgency turning their focus to Bangkok or another tourist destination within Thailand, but I expect the experts will tell me I'm wrong. Given that I've never ventured further south than Chumphon, I may be guilty of underestimating the threat from homegrown Muslim extremists, but surely such a group would have claimed responsibility by now ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Thailand_insurgency

Have you even read the link ? The article says are are investigating this line amongst others they is nothing in that article which states the RTP suspect any link,

This is the exact wording:

Thai authorities are investigating whether Uighur militants from far-western China staged the deadly bombing in the Erawan shrine in Bangkok which killed 22 people.

They arent ruling anything out - to my mind, that makes all of the groups discussed in the article possible 'suspects', but I guess its just semantics until they identify the guy with the backpack and others in that video.

Interesting - I believe that possibility was floated earlier in this thread. If true, it might shut some of the 'this has Muslim extremism all over it' brigade up.

Except that the Uyghurs are just another branch of Muslim extremists

This stuff about the seat being saved is nonsense. He didn't need the seat. All he needed to do was take off the backpack and leave it somewhere which in such a crowded area would have been ridiculously easy.

Yeah! Just happens to walk right up there and immediately gets the seat which is the place they were going to place it and the 2 guys just happen to stand in front of him and immediately leave! Yes you are right everything just happened as plan by the sole bomber with no help just an ordinary guy wanted to bomb someone because had nothing to do so just went there and placed a bomb! Duh........

In the cctv video recording, before the yellow shirt suspect sat down, the white and red shirt guys seem to have been keeping the bench for him.

A Kiwi paramedic was one of the first people on the scene helping. Listening to his interview here on NZ radio he said that when he had finished helping he went back to his motor bike which he had hastily parked just to the side of the scene. He noticed a bag hanging on the wall / fence ? behind his bike at head height. He alerted police at the site who looked at it then called in Army to deal to. Had to go to an appointment so did not hear it all but from what I caught of this guy's interview its sounds like there was another device that was set to go off once emergency services were there but it failed to detonate. Would certainly add to the reasoning that there were more than the one in the yellow Gucci top involved.

This is the interview with the Paramedic who says he pointed out a 2nd bomb in a bag hanging from a tree and the Army diffused it.

It's at the 6 minute mark - http://www.6pr.com.au/news/bangkok-paramedic-first-on-blast-scene-20150818-gj1h72.html

The point is they were professional they had team work they had spotters and also had people take up the place they wanted to place the bomb that means everything was planned staked out even the timing I don't know how long they must have been watching that place. Maybe checks of surrounding hotels with a good view of the place who booked in and what nationality might help.

The point is they were professional they had team work they had spotters and also had people take up the place they wanted to place the bomb that means everything was planned staked out even the timing I don't know how long they must have been watching that place. Maybe checks of surrounding hotels with a good view of the place who booked in and what nationality might help.

And that brilliant observation is no doubt information passed on to you from your "insider" sources.

And that brilliant observation is no doubt information passed on to you from your "insider" sources.

Nope by my brain cells working properly

Interesting - I believe that possibility was floated earlier in this thread. If true, it might shut some of the 'this has Muslim extremism all over it' brigade up.

Except that the Uyghurs are just another branch of Muslim extremists

I am also amazed at the all-too-common 3rd-grade level of comments from what I suppose are adults.

Do you really think that Uyghurs=extremists? So all Colombians are are cocaine dealers, all Germans are skinheads, and so on?

In the internet age this level of ignorance is really inexcusable.

This is the interview with the Paramedic who says he pointed out a 2nd bomb in a bag hanging from a tree and the Army diffused it.

It's at the 6 minute mark - http://www.6pr.com.au/news/bangkok-paramedic-first-on-blast-scene-20150818-gj1h72.html

What is a "plastic bit bag" ? sounds like he said 'bit' but I am not sure. The red shirt guy in the CCTV video had a one strap bag over his shoulder.

I'm happy the bloke got found innocent but really, really hope he doesn't use his new found fame to further himself of the back of a tragedy.

thats exactly what he is doing, he has already offered to assist the media in any way he can.

I agree, but it could also be just a coincidence , maybe the yellow shirt guy was just standing there hoping some of them would move away from the bench , but as you say , the men wearing red and white shirts needs to come forward and talk to the police, unless they were killed in the bomb blast.

I agree, but it could also be just a coincidence , maybe the yellow shirt guy was just standing there hoping some of them would move away from the bench , but as you say , the men wearing red and white shirts needs to come forward and talk to the police, unless they were killed in the bomb blast.

If we are to believe there was up to a 15 minute lag between dropping off the backpack and explosion, then unlikely any of those in video would have been killed and all should be going to the police asap with camera phones in hand

Archived