software for sorting photos

corkman

Hi all,

I have literally thousands of photos taken over the last 10 years. They've been taken using different cameras and phones and I have saved them all in different folders. Over the years i have tried sorting them. Sometimes by catagory, sometimes by date, and as a result there are lots of duplicates and they are all mixed up.

Is there any software that can assist in sorting these out? I dont mind buying it. Ideally it would through all the folders and organise them chronolically (I assume every photo has a "date taken" stamp inbedded in it). If it could further identify duplicates that would be outstanding.

Any ideas?

"PhotoSweeper" will identify duplicates both inside the iPhoto libraries and in other folders even if the file size is different then "A Better Finder Rename" can rename files with almost any variety of shooting date, hour, minute, second, camera make and model and many many other tags.

You have to be running OS X on a Mac to use those programs.

My main library has about 34,000 pics and those programs work well with it and other folders. YMMV.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I'd also recommend Adobe Lightroom as it organizes and provides a terrific way to categorize photos and search. It does an impressive job of enhancing and fixing photos as well. It's tied in with google maps so you can add location info with it too.

For just sorting I'd use a freebie like picasa but you can do much more with Adobe.

Adobe Lightroom would be the best, but there are other free/cheap programs that will do the job. Lightroom can sort by date taken, or filter by camera or even lens used, ignore duplicates if you wish, and also will do a decent job of editing photos too if you want to. You can add keywords to past and future photos to filter by that method too, add them to collections (virtual folders) such as family/holiday/Thailand/whatever. the newest version even has face recognition builtin, which might be handy if you want to sort out photos of family for instance.

You can get a free trial and see how it goes. It comes in 2 versions, LR6 which is a one off purchase, stand alone program, or LR CC which comes bundled with photoshop for a monthly subscription, and is probably more than you need so stick to LR6.

+1 Adobe LR6

thumbsup.gif

Adobe Lightroom would be the best, but there are other free/cheap programs that will do the job. Lightroom can sort by date taken, or filter by camera or even lens used, ignore duplicates if you wish, and also will do a decent job of editing photos too if you want to. You can add keywords to past and future photos to filter by that method too, add them to collections (virtual folders) such as family/holiday/Thailand/whatever. the newest version even has face recognition builtin, which might be handy if you want to sort out photos of family for instance.
You can get a free trial and see how it goes. It comes in 2 versions, LR6 which is a one off purchase, stand alone program, or LR CC which comes bundled with photoshop for a monthly subscription, and is probably more than you need so stick to LR6.

Google Photos: https://photos.google.com/

Free. Unlimited*. Cool features. Check it out.

Install this program and it will automatically scan your entire computer and will come up with thumbnails of everything, and I mean everything, on your computer, that is graphic related

Once you see what you really have to deal with and where they are located , you can then determine if you need any more specialized sorting / duplicate finder / deletion type program