Tourists among 19 killed by bomb at Bangkok's Erawan shrine

webfact

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bomb was intended to kill?

Now that is what I call ..a very helpful piece of info.

And highly intelligent.

Not all bombs are intended to kill...some are used for scare tactics. This one wasn't a scare tactic.

The incident occurred adjacent to a shrine held sacred by both Buddhists and Hindus. This is unlikely to be linked with either main political faction in Thailand but rather the issues in the south. Having said that - too early to jump to conclusions.

Jimbo, I don't know how long you have lived in Thailand But anyone who has lived in Thailand and especially in Bangkok , KNOWS just who are responsible for this bomb ... one day Cycle for Mom and the next day a bomb...... This has absolutely nothing to do with the southern insurgents , that is a local issue and the Thai Muslims know what would happen if they came to Bangkok. And the location of the bomb is Very significant ... This is communist(Red) through and through.... But let us all hope that the sick perpetrators are caught and shot ASAP..... RIP to all innocents...

But, anyways nothing to do with us Farangs... there's the door....

And highly intelligent.

Why does TV has such ignorant posters,such as yourself.. take one point out of context..some bombs are placed ( including many of the most recent ones) to scare rather than kill. They were emphasizing the point..but don't waste a chance on having a go at Thais..

This has the markings of radicalisation by IS. Not members of IS but people who have learnt how to make these devices from them.

I hope that when they are caught they get the death penelty. Dont put them in jail you wont alter this type of person with a jail sentence.

Jail or death.....I would say whatever is cheaper....

Execution, you wont change the type of people who did this

The police commanders are making a mess of this event with their quick conclusions and claims. They need to shut up and undertake a proper investigation first. Without a thorough investigation, it is impossible believe these clowns when they attribute responsibility or the cause of the explosion.

If it takes the police in the EU and the USA days, if not weeks to construct a credible hypothesis, how is it that so many foreigners are quick to accept whatever the unprofessional and poorly trained Thai police commanders say?

There are only 2 viable suspect groups, but the MO does not match completely for both. The red shirts however bad they are only killed people in small numbers and the separatist from the south have so far never bombed BKK and even for their doing this is an extreme case.

At this point I would not bet either way, maybe a third group but that would be totally new.

You are right in the west they are more about careful about statements, but that is just not the norm here.

The fact that the southern insurgents have largely kept their activities confined to the south has always been a mystery to me, and I've long predicted in threads here that they would eventually move up north. We don't know if this is the case here, but the choice of an iconic place of reverence for Buddhist Thais as well as a tourist attraction would seem to point in that direction... they would get to send a message to the Thai Buddhist majority while also dealing a blow to the economy. I don't see the Reds or Yellows (etc) selecting such a target--that would be beyond the pale--and I don't buy the conspiracy theory that the coup-makers would something so over-the-top to justify holding on to power.

Indonesia in the last decade may be the apt comparison. Muslim extremists from Java chose to launch attacks on tourist hot-spots in Bali. Bali was Indonesian tourism's 'golden egg', but also a place where the majority local population is Hindu, not Muslim. By launching their attack on the territory of 'the other' in their own country and targeting foreigners at the same time, they sent two messages out and minimised risk to their own people. It's something I expected the southerners here to copy a long time ago...

It is worth noting that in the past there has been a muslim cleric who has openly stated that he wants the entire SEA to be muslim. I think he is in jail in Malaysia butt that wont stop him from spreading his doctrine. People like IS now have connections within the Phillipines so maybe they have nothing to do with this incident but I wouldnt rule it out.

The basic trouble is there are many crazy muslims, most do not agree with these actions, that believe it is the way to do things.

Muslim trouble in the south may now be targeting Thailands hot spots for bigger devastation, I have always suspected they would hit Nana as its enclosed .

don't worry. the sex tourists will be safe. The muslims have no issue with them.

Yeah, Nana was the 'target' I've long expected also for the same reason.... that, or Phuket (because of proximity). But I guess the symbolism of the Erawan Shrine--it's importance to Buddhist Thais--gives it added value as an act of terror. The message goes not just to tourists but also to Thais.

Edited by Docno

And highly intelligent.

Why does TV has such ignorant posters,such as yourself.. take one point out of context..some bombs are placed ( including many of the most recent ones) to scare rather than kill. They were emphasizing the point..but don't waste a chance on having a go at Thais..

Anyone with a smidgen of intelligence would know that this particular device was meant to kill. As for having a go at the Thais' - no - just an ineffective corrupt police force.

The police commanders are making a mess of this event with their quick conclusions and claims. They need to shut up and undertake a proper investigation first. Without a thorough investigation, it is impossible believe these clowns when they attribute responsibility or the cause of the explosion.

If it takes the police in the EU and the USA days, if not weeks to construct a credible hypothesis, how is it that so many foreigners are quick to accept whatever the unprofessional and poorly trained Thai police commanders say?

There are only 2 viable suspect groups, but the MO does not match completely for both. The red shirts however bad they are only killed people in small numbers and the separatist from the south have so far never bombed BKK and even for their doing this is an extreme case.

At this point I would not bet either way, maybe a third group but that would be totally new.

You are right in the west they are more about careful about statements, but that is just not the norm here.

You are not to bright. I think you forgot about the 90 people killed 10 years ago. stop thinking in the past and wake up to the future.

Certainly , where free speech is encouraged ABC news radio at noon had an expert that gave a step by step objective opinion on all the possible groups who could be behind it .

This included the last speculative one that falls within reason .

Though not in name permitted here.

The advantage of justifications to remain in control was plausible .

Another theory was outside influences like ISIS or even CIA both whom may have agendas .

One to continue their terror and spread fundamentalist doctrine.

The other perhaps to destabilise the military which is entrenching itself and moving towards China .

It was interesting to hear views and expressions not permitted in the Kingdom...however far fetched .

The thing that isn't far fetched is the economic outlook there.

And the sharp fall in Tourism such events of terrorism cause .

It will be interesting to see if authorities pin point a suspect on CCTV footage as they seem easily able to capture the actual explosion ....maybe the culprit is there too if someone thinks to rewind .

post-219560-0-26379000-1439872101_thumb.

Edited by Plutojames88

The incident occurred adjacent to a shrine held sacred by both Buddhists and Hindus. This is unlikely to be linked with either main political faction in Thailand but rather the issues in the south. Having said that - too early to jump to conclusions.

Jimbo, I don't know how long you have lived in Thailand But anyone who has lived in Thailand and especially in Bangkok , KNOWS just who are responsible for this bomb ... one day Cycle for Mom and the next day a bomb...... This has absolutely nothing to do with the southern insurgents , that is a local issue and the Thai Muslims know what would happen if they came to Bangkok. And the location of the bomb is Very significant ... This is communist(Red) through and through.... But let us all hope that the sick perpetrators are caught and shot ASAP..... RIP to all innocents...

But, anyways nothing to do with us Farangs... there's the door....

"This is communist(Red) through and through"

And that comment is yellow-blinded, politically one-sided drive-by shooting through and through.

Edited by Blackfalds

On CNN this morning they are saying this shrine is a Hindu shrine??? Bad reporting? I was within 50mtrs of this shrine on Sunday going to shopping centre. The wife and daughter don't wish to do the tourist thing anymore! So it has impacted on our length of stay in Bangkok. Scary stuff. Condolences to those affected by this terrible incident.

People are discussing the possibility of two suspect groups.

Muslim Separatists from the South of Thailand

Anti-Govournment Protestors (Pro-Thaksin), in recent light of Thaksin loosing his Police Rank.

I find both unlikely for may of the reasons already discussed.

A third possibility:

Thailand recently upset many people over the extradition of a number of Uighurs people to China.

These minority people who protest against ill treatment are considered Terrorists in China (What happened to them on their return to China?).

With links to Turkey, the Thai Embassy in Turkey was attacked in protest against this decision to send the 'asylum seekers' back to China in effect sealing their fate.

Its possible that this is a revenge attack from a minority Uighur Group against Thailand.

Certainly , where free speech is encouraged ABC news radio at noon had an expert that gave a step by step objective opinion on all the possible groups who could be behind it .

This included the last speculative one that falls within reason .

Though not in name permitted here.

The advantage of justifications to remain in control was plausible .

Another theory was outside influences like ISIS or even CIA both whom may have agendas .

One to continue their terror and spread fundamentalist doctrine.

The other perhaps to destabilise the military which is entrenching itself and moving towards China .

It was interesting to hear views and expressions not permitted in the Kingdom...however far fetched .

The thing that isn't far fetched is the economic outlook there.

And the sharp fall in Tourism such events of terrorism cause .

It will be interesting to see if authorities pin point a suspect on CCTV footage as they seem easily able to capture the actual explosion ....maybe the culprit is there too if someone thinks to rewind .

Post 76 says that police have a clear cctv picture of the assasin carrying the bomb but have not disclosed his race yet.

Moving towards china sounds plausible as well, whatever the outcome this has done thailand some serious damage, I myself would not feel safe in BK anymore as I am usually around some of the areas police now say may be the next site for an attack

On CNN this morning they are saying this shrine is a Hindu shrine??? Bad reporting? I was within 50mtrs of this shrine on Sunday going to shopping centre. The wife and daughter don't wish to do the tourist thing anymore! So it has impacted on our length of stay in Bangkok. Scary stuff. Condolences to those affected by this terrible incident.

It is a Hindu shrine.

Bombs were intended to hit the shrine, and most people close of it.....It is hard to believe that this was the work of Buddhist people....red or yellow.

Southern terrorism coming to Bangkok?

My wife tells me that there is speculation among Thais that this is the start of a campaign to undermine the values of Thais and Thailand, attacking and challenging the fundamental belief system by showing: "Look, Buddha can't protect you, the Military can't protect you, the government and police can't protect you.............."

The reason for that is to promote massive changes that will completely alter Thailand.

I really have no idea other than this was a very deliberate attack to cause very many deaths and injuries unlike previous bombings which seemed more aimed at proving a point and causing inconvenience.

Sad to see this in Thailand, but bombing as a political and terrorist tool has been around for a long time; and some organizations have now become legitimate political power sharers as a result of their bombing, shooting and terrorist activities.

If it weren't so stupid it would be funny. The southern Muslims didn't do this. This was political. The Reds have been far too quiet and their discontent can only be put off for so long.

RIP to those poor souls enjoying a holiday or visit to the shrine. Terrible.

Please post proof of your claims, as you dont have any lets wait for the investigation.

Muslim trouble in the south may now be targeting Thailands hot spots for bigger devastation, I have always suspected they would hit Nana as its enclosed .

don't worry. the sex tourists will be safe. The muslims have no issue with them.

Soi 3 would be a safe haven and possibly Soi 4 where muslims are creating new enclaves after outgrowing Soi 3.

Anti-Govournment Protestors (Pro-Thaksin), in recent light of Thaksin loosing his Police Rank.

A third possibility:

Thailand recently upset many people over the extradition of a number of Uighurs people to China.

These minority people who protest against ill treatment are considered Terrorists in China (What happened to them on their return to China?).

With links to Turkey, the Thai Embassy in Turkey was attacked in protest against this decision to send the 'asylum seekers' back to China in effect sealing their fate.

Its possible that this is a revenge attack from a minority Uighur Group against Thailand.

It would represent a big step up in activity for the Uighur Group - but possible of course and therefore a consideration.

Or perhaps, an extreme Moslem terror group who are sympathetic to the Uighurs and have more experience?

Or is it an attempt by some faction within Thailand to start a major destabilization and change program?

Very difficult without anyone claiming responsibility, or any released intelligence. Unusual for Moslem terror groups not to claim responsibility for their work and issue PR and warnings.

If it weren't so stupid it would be funny. The southern Muslims didn't do this. This was political. The Reds have been far too quiet and their discontent can only be put off for so long.

RIP to those poor souls enjoying a holiday or visit to the shrine. Terrible.

Please post proof of your claims, as you dont have any lets wait for the investigation.

My contacts in the NE provinces say the dogs have been barking for a number of months that terrorist acts were likely to break out at any time. No proof just gossip. But where there is smoke there is fire and possibly explosions. This would fit in with Thai police concentrating security up in the NE. How many Uighurs and radical muslims in that area?

The fact that the southern insurgents have largely kept their activities confined to the south has always been a mystery to me, and I've long predicted in threads here that they would eventually move up north. We don't know if this is the case here, but the choice of an iconic place of reverence for Buddhist Thais as well as a tourist attraction would seem to point in that direction... they would get to send a message to the Thai Buddhist majority while also dealing a blow to the economy. I don't see the Reds or Yellows (etc) selecting such a target--that would be beyond the pale--and I don't buy the conspiracy theory that the coup-makers would something so over-the-top to justify holding on to power.

Indonesia in the last decade may be the apt comparison. Muslim extremists from Java chose to launch attacks on tourist hot-spots in Bali. Bali was Indonesian tourism's 'golden egg', but also a place where the majority local population is Hindu, not Muslim. By launching their attack on the territory of 'the other' in their own country and targeting foreigners at the same time, they sent two messages out and minimised risk to their own people. It's something I expected the southerners here to copy a long time ago...

I've always wondered that too. But, as analogy used the IRA. Their "campaign" in mainland Britain was very small by comparison to activities in Northern Ireland. One reason, I suspect, was the backlash effect on the large amounts of Irish nationals living and working in the UK. I remember the Birmingham pub bombings. Irish employees were sent home or told not to report for work the next day; bricks were thrown through Irish club windows. It didn't get too out of hand but could have if the campaign had increased or continued.

I've, rightly or wrongly, judged the Southern insurgents to be more interested in some form of autonomy rather than extreme Moslem fundamentalism. The Moslem Thais I've met have all been very nice polite peaceful people. However, that is hardly a representative sample and of course the violence in the South is appalling. But just don't see them doing this. Although you never know.

A third possibility:

It would represent a big step up in activity for the Uighur Group - but possible of course and therefore a consideration.

Or perhaps, an extreme Moslem terror group who are sympathetic to the Uighurs and have more experience?

Or is it an attempt by some faction within Thailand to start a major destabilization and change program?

Very difficult without anyone claiming responsibility, or any released intelligence. Unusual for Moslem terror groups not to claim responsibility for their work and issue PR and warnings.

There are a lot of plausable theory posted, it will be interesting to see in the next few days what is revealed. it may well be the case that we will be reading between the lines on this one for a long time.

The fact that CNN were on to this so quick and the incredible amount of coverage they are giving it is a worry.

One previous post being plausible as well that it may be a warning shot that Thai government is moving to cozy with China.

We may well see a lot of political upheaval in the next months.

As always with terrorist attacks the innocent are the victims , I know well the devastation and mourning as my niece died in the london tube bombing.

You are not to bright. I think you forgot about the 90 people killed 10 years ago. stop thinking in the past and wake up to the future.

Are you referring to the 90 persons killed 10 (5) years ago in 2010? Why is it necessary for TV contributors to insult others in what could and should be a meaningful, sensible and well thought out discussion? What Robblok wrote seems, to me, to be reasonable. It is not reflective of him being "not to(o) bright". No one has the monopoly on knowing all about the future, or even the present.