Koh Tao murder trial reconvenes in Koh Samui

webfact

article from yesterday's Eastern Daily Press. . . .
(defense attorney) Nakhon Chomphuchat intimated that control of the re-testing procedure was the issue, as the results would not be directly returned to the defence, but to the police and then the court. “This is a very sensitive issue,” said Mr Chomphuchat.
“The lawyers cannot speak of it. There is also a lot of debate in the lawyers’ team on this issue. But if they retest it we have no control over that testing process.”
Boomer's spin: By mentioning how the re-tested DNA data will be handled by the RTP, the defense lawyer is sensibly doubting its veracity. The RTP has already shown, in a hundred examples, how it has a thick agenda in this case, and how it can't be trusted. Just the act of transferring data from one place to another is questionable. This is the same RTP who don't know how to save digital photos and who don't know how to find a photocopying machine in a city.
Here's how Thai officialdom's assertions make sense, re; DNA evidence. It boils down to two announcements RTP made at press conferences last year:
1. When officials announced, "DNA from the Burmese suspects match DNA found on the victim" ...a simple lie.

2. When officials announced, "DNA from Nomsod does not match DNA found on the victim" ...it was a lie.
It's as clear as glass. Who's going to argue with or challenge the chief of police? You? Me? a reporter? A lower ranked policeman? a lab techie?
The defense, by saying they don't want RTP-managed DNA results, are saying they don't trust anything RTP do with DNA. I think it was a smart move.

Yes, it's a clear-cut indictment of the RTP's practices by a Thai attorney. Don't trust the bar-stewards.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

article from yesterday's Eastehrn Daily Press. . . .

(defense attorney) Nakhon Chomphuchat intimated that control of the re-testing procedure was the issue, as the results would not be directly returned to the defence, but to the police and then the court. This is a very sensitive issue, said Mr Chomphuchat.7

The lawyers cannot speak of it. There is also a lot of debate in the lawyers team on this issue. But if they retest it we have no control over that testing process.

source

Boomer's spin: By mentioning how the re-tested DNA data will be handled by the RTP, the defense lawyer is sensibly doubting its veracity. The RTP has already shown, in a hundred examples, how it has a thick agenda in this case, and how it can't be trusted. Just the act of transferring data from one place to another is questionable. This is the same RTP who don't know how to save digital photos and who don't know how to find a photocopying machine in a city.

Here's how Thai officialdom's assertions make sense, re; DNA evidence. It boils down to two announcements RTP made at press conferences last year:

1. When officials announced, "DNA from the Burmese suspects match DNA found on the victim" ...a simple lie.

2. When officials announced, "DNA from Nomsod does not match DNA found on the victim" ...it was a lie.

It's as clear as glass. Who's going to argue with or challenge the chief of police? You? Me? a reporter? A lower ranked policeman? a lab techie?

The defense, by saying they don't want RTP-managed DNA results, are saying they don't trust anything RTP do with DNA. I think it was a smart move.

Yes, it's a clear-cut indictment of the RTP's practices by a Thai attorney. Don't trust the bar-stewards.

Do you think he woke up Friday morning and said Hey!!!! I wonder if they might tamper with the results..???

Come on Stephen. ..think about it... Something happened that day...they have fought for months and months for retest. They had it agreed to be done at the institute for forensic sciences. Exactly what they wanted.

What the done was hijack the trial with an irrefutable test in front of the judge. Something that he couldnt ignor. In his face. 2 days later...

Oh we dont need anymore testing of the items. We have enough to prove our case....!!!!

I would put my house on line and say the profiles where processed Thursday/Friday and they dont match the profiles submitted by the prosecution.

Anyway we will see but they are so confident.

You really are all crediting the rtp and headman with too much strategic thinking .

They are thugs with influence nothing more.

They really are as useless as they appear. It steams from arrogance and from years of steam rollering a subservient population lacking in critical thinking.

Foreign lawyers ,press and the Internet are a newish problem for them and they are floundering badly.

You really are all crediting the rtp and headman with too much strategic thinking .

They are thugs with influence nothing more.

They really are as useless as they appear. It steams from arrogance and from years of steam rollering a subservient population lacking in critical thinking.

Foreign lawyers ,press and the Internet are a newish problem for them and they are floundering badly.

Thats to general a statement. I haven't credited them with anything. In fact I think so far its been a comedy of errors.Like a load of baffoons.

Can't read cant write. No copier. Dont know. Not sure. Untrained. First time doing this procedure. Where do I stop?

A shambles of a trial.

I am very surprised , the defense team should know from the start that another DNA test would be performed in Thailand , in a Thai DNA lab. And they have asked for a retest, not only one time but repeatedly.

Suddenly they change their minds. Why ?

It's a smart move by the defense. The re-testing results would be channeled to the RTP who, in turn, would channel it to the prosecution. How much does anyone trust the RTP? They've shown, in a thousand ways, that they've got a thick agenda to bust the B2 while sheltering the real culprits.

it would not be channeled to the RTP, these tests were requested by the defense team and the results/findings would be disclosed to them only, it is then up to the defense whether they want to reveal the results in court, although it would not be helping the defense case at all if they chose not to reveal unless they had a very good reason, demanding the dna be handed over for retest was a risky thing to do unless they were absolutely sure of the result

For now we have a little confusion as to why this has happened.

I am very surprised , the defense team should know from the start that another DNA test would be performed in Thailand , in a Thai DNA lab. And they have asked for a retest, not only one time but repeatedly.

It's a smart move by the defense. The re-testing results would be channeled to the RTP who, in turn, would channel it to the prosecution. How much does anyone trust the RTP? They've shown, in a thousand ways, that they've got a thick agenda to bust the B2 while sheltering the real culprits.

it would not be channeled to the RTP, these tests were requested by the defense team and the results/findings would be disclosed to them only, it is then up to the defense whether they want to reveal the results in court, although it would not be helping the defense case at all if they chose not to reveal unless they had a very good reason, demanding the dna be handed over for retest was a risky thing to do unless they were absolutely sure of the result

It is confusing yes as apparently some tests would go directly to the defense and others go directly to the RTP first:

Nakhon Chomphuchat intimated that control of the re-testing procedure was the issue, as the results would not be directly returned to the defence, but to the police and then the court.

Fresh DNA samples were taken from the two defendants in the court on Tuesday of this week. The test results on those samples is being returned directly to the defence team.

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/defence_team_reverse_demands_to_retest_dna_found_on_body_of_hannah_witheridge_1_4204183

Off-topic, baiting, threatening, bickering posts and replies removed.

Please stay on the topic of the thread. That means addressing the issues presented in the post, not in making comments to or about other posters. Doing so is off-topic and your post will be removed and you could face a suspension. Digging through other member's posts and bringing them up on the forum can be considered stalking and it is against the forum rules.

You have every right to express your opinion about the topic. You may disagree, but it must be done in a civil manner.

Posts in violation of fair use policy have been removed as stated yesterday.

Morning Smedly.

You are wrong M8.

What the defence alleges is the test results from the items get channelled through the RTP. The additional B2 DNA test results that where taken in front of the judge goes direct to them.

Theres no confusion over that as its stated in the lawyers announcement.

Theres also no confusion in the lawyers plan. He has what he needs now. He has stated it. He is on the home ru in his mind. We just have to wait and see if he is going to score a win....

Yesterdays interview with David Cameron for Heart http://www.heart.co.uk/norfolk/news/

The Prime Minister's exclusively told Heart the government will to do all they can to ensure a fair trial into the murder of Hemsby student Hannah Witheridge.

David Cameron's told us the government's committed to ensuring justice is done.

He said: "We will continue to do everything we can to help in this tragic case.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

(defense attorney) Nakhon Chomphuchat intimated that control of the re-testing procedure was the issue, as the results would not be directly returned to the defence, but to the police and then the court. This is a very sensitive issue, said Mr Chomphuchat.7

The lawyers cannot speak of it. There is also a lot of debate in the lawyers team on this issue. But if they retest it we have no control over that testing process.

source

Do you think he woke up Friday morning and said Hey!!!! I wonder if they might tamper with the results..???

Come on Stephen. ..think about it... Something happened that day...they have fought for months and months for retest. They had it agreed to be done at the institute for forensic sciences. Exactly what they wanted.

What the done was hijack the trial with an irrefutable test in front of the judge. Something that he couldnt ignor. In his face. 2 days later...

Oh we dont need anymore testing of the items. We have enough to prove our case....!!!!

I would put my house on line and say the profiles where processed Thursday/Friday and they dont match the profiles submitted by the prosecution.

Loon, where I was coming from is that they wouldn't give the RTP a chance to contest what they already possess to disprove the case. Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but your scenario seems reasonable - and if that's factual, the B2 have no case to answer...and more to the point, whose profiles did the prosecution submit? I wouldn't put it past the RTP to submit any old profiles, and said it matched.

source

DNA retesting has nothing to do with the prosecution or the police, the samples should have been handed over to the Bangkok Institute following strict protocol and the results of the retest disclosed only to the defense team, up to them what they then do with them, the prosecution/police have already made their case and done their tests - how the defense proceeds is nothing to do with them period - if they were trying to interfere with the retest process then I can see why the defense team have cried foul

Old news but worth another read

Police promised cash reward to buy false testimony: taxi driver

The Nation October 2, 2014 1:00 am

A TAXI driver on Koh Tao off the Surat Thani coast yesterday went public with his accusation that police investigating the murders of two British tourists had tried to intimidate him into providing false testimony.
In a media interview yesterday, Prasit Sukdam also accused the police of giving him a large sum of money in exchange for false testimony to frame the wrong people. He claimed the money was taken from the Bt700,000 offered as a reward by Koh Tao residents for information leading to the arrest of the killers.

Separately, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha dismissed reports that tourists will be encouraged to wear wristbands or register electronically upon arrival in addition to passport verification at the airport. "We can't make them wear any chip-embedded device. We want them to keep visiting Thailand," he added.

All your posts will not change the fact that they simply will hang and burn the B2. Too much money has been paid, too many "facelosses" are at stake. Mon and Nomsod will open an "Hit me with your love" dating service franchise, unsolved rapes and murders on KT will continue as will any possible mafia business competitors find their investments in smoke and ashes. Does anyone seriously believe that "justice will be served" in the KT case? You are all discussing a lost case, still theorizing at what happened, with the clever and out of the box thinking ones unravelling all the cockups of the RTP, while some complete nutcakes try to back up the official story of the rotten to the core RTP... What will you guys achieve in the end? Nothing! Why? Because law and order does not apply to people who own whole cities and islands and more money than they could possibly spend in a hundred lifetimes.

Edited by MockingJay

Off-topic, baiting, threatening, bickering posts and replies removed.
Please stay on the topic of the thread. That means addressing the issues presented in the post, not in making comments to or about other posters. Doing so is off-topic and your post will be removed and you could face a suspension. Digging through other member's posts and bringing them up on the forum can be considered stalking and it is against the forum rules.
You have every right to express your opinion about the topic. You may disagree, but it must be done in a civil manner.
Posts in violation of fair use policy have been removed as stated yesterday.

Digging through other member's posts and bringing them up on the forum can be considered stalking and it is against the forum rules.

My apologies if this is directed at my post of this morning. In no way was I stalking - my intention was only to bring to light information regarding the topic which I felt relative to the current discussions.

Speaking of tragedies as the this thread is about,

here is a link to the RTP regarding their proficiency in investigating

and performing forensic operations and keeping the Thai public informed!.gigglem.gif

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2015/08/21/thai-junta-turning-tragedy-to-farce/

And an extract from it that has similarities with the Koh Tao tragedy:

Unsurprisingly, Prayuth immediately refused offers of external assistance – including help from the British government – as attempts to ‘intervene’ in Thailand. His brilliant solution was instead to urge Thai police to watch the US crime drama Blue Bloods to get ‘tips, ideas and insights’.

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

Future posts found to be in violation of the above will be removed.

A post in which the font size in the quoted post had been re-sized has been removed as per above.

Old news but worth another read

Police promised cash reward to buy false testimony: taxi driver

The Nation October 2, 2014 1:00 am

A TAXI driver on Koh Tao off the Surat Thani coast yesterday went public with his accusation that police investigating the murders of two British tourists had tried to intimidate him into providing false testimony.
In a media interview yesterday, Prasit Sukdam also accused the police of giving him a large sum of money in exchange for false testimony to frame the wrong people. He claimed the money was taken from the Bt700,000 offered as a reward by Koh Tao residents for information leading to the arrest of the killers.

Separately, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha dismissed reports that tourists will be encouraged to wear wristbands or register electronically upon arrival in addition to passport verification at the airport. "We can't make them wear any chip-embedded device. We want them to keep visiting Thailand," he added.

That incident was the day before the arrest of the B2 I believe.

Murder of British backpackers on Koh Tao solved, say Thai police

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/03/burmese-men-arrested-murder-british-backpackers-thailand

An embarrassingly premature statement from the RTP - as most people felt in their bones at the time. Wonder what the 'evidence' apart from the confession was that made the police so confident? Something to do with DNA profiles maybe?

All your posts will not change the fact that they simply will hang and burn the B2. Too much money has been paid, too many "facelosses" are at stake. Mon and Nomsod will open an "Hit me with your love" dating service franchise, unsolved rapes and murders on KT will continue as will any possible mafia business competitors find their investments in smoke and ashes. Does anyone seriously believe that "justice will be served" in the KT case? You are all discussing a lost case, still theorizing at what happened, with the clever and out of the box thinking ones unravelling all the cockups of the RTP, while some complete nutcakes try to back up the official story of the rotten to the core RTP... What will you guys achieve in the end? Nothing! Why? Because law and order does not apply to people who own whole cities and islands and more money than they could possibly spend in a hundred lifetimes.

I suggest had there not been 'interference' notably by Andy Hall and his lawyers, supported by many TVF who contributed to the defence costs your first sentence would have been likely. As it stands, it is intimated that the defence have a sound chance in getting the B2 off the hook by disproving the prosecution's case. As the trial is being reported by a few select media outlets, it is 'unlikely' (but not impossible) for the court to have grounds to convict.

That would be an achievement none thought possible at the beginning.

source

Loon, where I was coming from is that they wouldn't give the RTP a chance to contest what they already possess to disprove the case. Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but your scenario seems reasonable - and if that's factual, the B2 have no case to answer...and more to the point, whose profiles did the prosecution submit? I wouldn't put it past the RTP to submit any old profiles, and said it matched.

Hi Stephen, I have made some suppositions here and read through the lines. He cannot show his hand so to speak but I bet he has a straight flush.

As for who's profiles well lets wait and see. I maybe well of track but if we are to believe the scenario that's been suggested and they are scapegoats well it could be anyone hey.

What we do know is that they have resisted at every attempt to get the DNA verified. that's not just the scene samples its the B2 as well. They kept the tests in house, only police forensics had access. They never showed the DNA profiles to anyone except they had to put the graphs into the evidence disclosure file before the trial started. So they are fixed in stone now as far as the prosecution case is concerned.

Anyway you reap what you sow as they say. if this is a cock and bull story you couldn't keep it up all the way through without difficulty. They have shown they have had the difficulty part from the reports we have seen. The defence has a team of lawyers and forensic experts inc Pornthip on their side. I do believe they know exactly what they are playing at. This isn't one lonely lawyer doing this on his own as a freebie.

But hey what do I know?? If this wasn't such a horrific sad case I could laugh at it. In the circumstances though my heart goes out to all the familys caught up in this situation.

Especially we should remember David and Hannah have lost their lives having been brutally murdered on a beach in Koh Tao whilst having a fun holiday.

May they rest in Peace.

Sadly most of what you have said is true.. However if there's been sufficient evidence submitted to the court in support of a not guilty verdict I don't care how much money has been paid they will never convict them. The eyes of the world are upon them however much they try to stifle news etc. If Nakhon puts damning evidence that proves they didn't do it, they walk.

Other than that what you say is sadly correct. Its long forgotten on Koh Tao already with respect to new tourists.

and performing forensic operations and keeping the Thai public informed!.gigglem.gif

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2015/08/21/thai-junta-turning-tragedy-to-farce/

I see no difference in the RTP's ability to investigate a murder and their ability to enforce law and order on the highways...

That is incompetence, lack of equipment, laziness, corruption and racial discrimination.

Loonodingle is very clued up on all of this and if all the posters posting here, he appears to be the most credible and reliable source of information.

I don't see anyone setting themselves up for the ultimate humility if he's wrong, personally I believe the bombshell for the defence is still to be played.

Keep up th good work sir!!

I see no difference in the RTP's ability to investigate a murder and their ability to enforce law and order on the highways...

That is incompetence, lack of equipment, laziness, corruption and racial discrimination.

And that's the good points. How about, arrogance, greed, immoral, violent, intransigent, and liars. But it would be wrong of me to tar all RTP with the same brush. As in any society, there are those who would uphold the law and be pleasant about it, who would not accept bribes, and be decent family men.

Edited by stephenterry

Loonodingle is very clued up on all of this and if all the posters posting here, he appears to be the most credible and reliable source of information.

I don't see anyone setting themselves up for the ultimate humility if he's wrong, personally I believe the bombshell for the defence is still to be played.

Keep up th good work sir!!

Thanks Fat Haggis for your words of support. Not everyone has that opinion but I offer a toast to them anyway.

post-69687-0-22799200-1440230338_thumb.j

Yesterdays interview with David Cameron for Heart http://www.heart.co.uk/norfolk/news/
The Prime Minister's exclusively told Heart the government will to do all they can to ensure a fair trial into the murder of Hemsby student Hannah Witheridge.
David Cameron's told us the government's committed to ensuring justice is done.
He said: "We will continue to do everything we can to help in this tragic case.

Making soothing sounds is what politicians do best. In the end, he did not promise to do anything specific. I predict he will do nothing. He will be receiving advice from the FCO that any actions he takes could harm relations between the UK and Thailand, without directly helping any UK nationals. At the end of the day, he will say he wants the Thais to do the right thing, but it is their show. Sad. Only the world's media and court of public opinion provides any real restraint on what the Thai authorities can get away with.

Defense no longer want DNA tested, (another news source)

http://news.sky.com/story/1539622/mother-sobs-over-backpacker-murder-re-enactment

After reading the article I think the defense is correct in their assumptions. They have no control over the process. With this in mind the retesting could just solidify the prosecutions case.

Edited by elgordo38