Somyot says Ratchaprasong bomber aided by some Thais

webfact

Somyot says Ratchaprasong bomber aided by some Thais

8-18-2015-10-02-39-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Poompunmoung said Tuesday night that the bomb attack at Ratchaprasong is not the sole work of foreign terrorist but with help from some Thais.

“He could not carry out the bomb attack alone if he was not aided by some Thais who have no Thai hearts but they are monsters”, said Pol Gen Somyot as he visited China Town to give morale boost to foreign tourists visiting the Chinese communities in Bangkok Tuesday night.

Security at China Town was boosted with patrol police and soldiers conducted foot patrol along the road to ensure safety for tourists.

He said it was impossible for a foreigner to come into Bangkok and would able to know where to go and how to hike motorcycle across the bridge.

He asked for cooperation from all the people who have information of the man who appeared in the video footage and left a backpack inside the fence near the Erawan shrine and left. Three minutes later explosion went off just exactly at the place where he sat and left the backpack behind.

Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Lt-Gen Prawut Thawornsiri also said that now all security personnel were hunting for the man and was confident to apprehend him very soon.

The man rode a motorcycle taxi to Silom Soi 9 after the explosion and disappeared into the soi.

He urged people living in the area to alert the police immediately if they spotted the man who now might disguise himself to avoid recognition.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/somyot-says-ratchaprasong-bomber-aided-by-some-thais

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-19

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem with Thai police is that they are so hell bent on pinning something on someone immediately that they release too much information. Police around the world "hold back" information that ONLY a perpetrator would know, which when it comes down to prosecution, would be used to convict.

They need to take a good look at how badly they effed up the Koh Tao investigation and revamp their procedures.

The top cop is bang on the mark. Such admirable detective skills. There's no doubt that Thais were involved in helping the bomber. The taxi driver that took him to Erawan was Thai, as were the hotel staff who gave him a place to stay.

"He said it was impossible for a foreigner to come into Bangkok and would able to know where to go and how to hike motorcycle across the bridge."

Mayhaps he had ummm...errr... been there a couple times before?

"He said it was impossible for a foreigner to come into Bangkok and would able to know where to go and how to hike motorcycle across the bridge."

Mayhaps he had ummm...errr... been there a couple times before?

Yes plus maybe guide books, tourists maps and all the useful bumf from TAT etc.

How does one hike a motorcycle? This sentence has me quite stumped facepalm.gif

It's Thai PBS. Their translations are often a bit skewed.

He might be wrong, but why is it so hard to believe? There were explosives involved. Did some foreigner manage to smuggle in explosives as well, or is it more they likely acquired them in Thailand? Of course it isn't impossible for someone familiar with Thailand to also bring in or aquire explosives without a Thai involved, then pull this off, and maybe a second attempt by walking or riding accross the bridge by himself. But that's a lot of stuff for one person to do by themselves.

To what percent is the investigation complete so far?

In their haste to save face, the powers that be are intent on blaming anyone other than a Thai person for this crime.

But who else, other than a Thai person, with Thai interests would carry out this atrocity?

There are plenty of 'farang' looking Thai people from mixed race marriages. This could be one. Or a foreigner hired to do the bidding of a Thai.

Edited by Charlie Croker

How this man and other stupid foreigners overcome the impossibility of coming to Thailand and not getting lost for all eternity

1. Lift hand to hail a cab

2. Point at picture of shrine

3. Leave bag

4. Hail a motorbike

5. Point to picture of hotel / business card of hotel

Not every human on the planet needs to go on an organized tour bus to get around a country

Please for the love of sanity tell me that he is holding information back.

Speech kind sir is silver, silence is gold

The top cop is bang on the mark. Such admirable detective skills. There's no doubt that Thais were involved in helping the bomber. The taxi driver that took him to Erawan was Thai, as were the hotel staff who gave him a place to stay.

How about the immigration officer that let him into the country?

Ii is quite possible this person has lived in Thailand for a long time. Works here and speaks Thai.

I don't understand why the RTP can't find out who he is. I know the photos are not too clear but as they have photos at immigration of every foreigner who has entered the country then sure they must be able to use some kind of facial recognition software to narrow it down somewhat.

If you look at yellow shirt man you will see he his carrying a plastic carry bag after leaving the backpack, maybe he has nothing to do with the bomb but was paid to leave the backpack and pick up his money then call to say job done then whoever are behind the bomb where close by a set it off.

How about the immigration officer that let him into the country?

Ii is quite possible this person has lived in Thailand for a long time. Works here and speaks Thai.

I don't understand why the RTP can't find out who he is. I know the photos are not too clear but as they have photos at immigration of every foreigner who has entered the country then sure they must be able to use some kind of facial recognition software to narrow it down somewhat.

Their facial recognition software is probably a lot like the 90% of Pattaya CCTV cameras or the 60% of Phuket tsunami warning towers........That don't work.

------------------------------

CCTV Cameras Pattaya - 1260 of 1400 do not work... No maintenance budget.

Batteries missing/not replaced on tsunami warning buoys & towers rusting to pieces.

Edited by jaywalker

I'd have to agree that it would be difficult for a foreigner to source all the materials to manufacture a bomb of this scale on his own without arousing suspicion or people noticing.

I only go to the hardware store once a year and they always remember me, and I'm spending a few hundred baht on cheap everyday tools. A foreigner buying materials for a bomb of this scale without being noticed/remembered? Not impossible, but not as easy as people suggest. I very much doubt he acted alone, especially given the behaviour of the 2 that gave up their seat to him without question and then shielded him (then immediately left) as he planted the bomb.

Someone knows who this is, I'd suggest a large reward for information, Thais aren't the best at keeping secrets at the best of times, but when money is offered to grass on a foreigner?

How long before somebody looks at the specification/quality of the cameras?

They then need to compare the quality of the picture to the specification in the bidding process and the price paid.

Perhaps it will come to nothing.

The people of Thailand can not expect a responsible high quality police force or even if we extend the argument, a secure country with the level of corruption which exists at each and every level.

People are promoted based on connections rather than ability, contracts awarded are based on sweeteners rather than on quality and price.

Rant over

He might be wrong, but why is it so hard to believe? There were explosives involved. Did some foreigner manage to smuggle in explosives as well, or is it more they likely acquired them in Thailand? Of course it isn't impossible for someone familiar with Thailand to also bring in or aquire explosives without a Thai involved, then pull this off, and maybe a second attempt by walking or riding accross the bridge by himself. But that's a lot of stuff for one person to do by themselves.

I could make some explosives this morning if I wanted to it's that easy.

Until test results are released as to what the actual explosive used was there needn't necessarily be Thai connection if it were a foreign bomber.

I'd have to agree that it would be difficult for a foreigner to source all the materials to manufacture a bomb of this scale on his own without arousing suspicion or people noticing.

I only go to the hardware store once a year and they always remember me, and I'm spending a few hundred baht on cheap everyday tools. A foreigner buying materials for a bomb of this scale without being noticed/remembered? Not impossible, but not as easy as people suggest. I very much doubt he acted alone, especially given the behaviour of the 2 that gave up their seat to him without question and then shielded him (then immediately left) as he planted the bomb.

Someone knows who this is, I'd suggest a large reward for information, Thais aren't the best at keeping secrets at the best of times, but when money is offered to grass on a foreigner?

should have already issued a reward, much too slow.

make it a big one too.

does this cop realise just how stupid this statement seems " impossible for a foreigner to come to bkk and kike a motorbike across the bridge " i have driven all around bkk regularly with no problems at all. not really that hard for a tourist like me, so it would be a piece of cake to any committed terrorist. just seen this link below.

100 Chinese Muslims 'plotting to join ISIS' deported from ...
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Hooded-shackled-100-Chinese-Muslims-plotting-j...
12 Jul 2015 - The Chinese government claims more than 100 minority Muslim Uighurs who were sent back from Thailand to China after fleeing the country ..

The police are inept and worthless. The man they are looking for has departed Thailand already! They should've locked down the city, including the airports, immediately after the attack. If he was part of a terrorist cell comprised of foreign nationals, he wouldn't need any help from Thai people. Iran had two cells operating in Bangkok right under the nose of the police in 2012! I pity the poor Thai citizens that will be sacrificed as patsies when the government is unable to find the real killer(s).

Edited by Echo Tango

"Security at China Town was boosted with patrol police and soldiers conducted foot patrol along the road to ensure safety for tourists."

Perhaps an indication that the police have finally realized that the bomber was targeting ethnic-Chinese tourists, and that makes it highly likely they're dealing with an Uighur terrorist?

so now we get a litany of misinformation, contradictions and false leads from various different sources within the authorities as various officers try to make themselves look important at the expense of a true and thorough investigation.

PS - they cleaned up the site pretty quick....how much evidence did they wash away in that process???