Bangkok hotels tighten security

webfact

Bangkok hotels tighten security
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

30267018-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- HOTELS in Bangkok have stepped up security measures in the wake of Monday's bombing at the Erawan Shrine in the centre of the city, which killed 20 people and injured 130 others. The Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel, which is located next to the shrine, said in a statement that the safety and security of guests was its top priority.

The hotel has elevated security following the incident. All perimeters have been secured and all bags and luggage are being checked at each entrance. The property experienced some minor damage as a result of the incident and will continue to monitor the situation closely, said the hotel management.

Meanwhile, the Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel is in full operation at this time, it added.

Nattakit Tangpoonsinthana, executive vice president for marketing at Central Pattana, said its flagship complex consisting of CentralWorld, Zen, and Centara Grand and Bangkok Convention Centre, located at the Ratchaprasong intersection, had increased the number of security guards by 20 per cent following the bomb blast in the area.

The company is also leveraging its space and the Skywalk by increasing the number of security reminders and adding precautionary measures inside and outside the complex. Security guards have been assigned to check visitors' bags, while all CCTV cameras have also been checked to ensure they operate properly, said the executive.

Following the lethal bomb blast at the Erawan Shine on Monday, there was a second blast on Tuesday under the Taksin BTS Skytrain station beside the Chao Phraya River.

There were no deaths or injuries as a result of the latter incident, as the device was misdirected and detonated harmlessly underwater.

"This [second] blast has rocked many luxury hotels located along the banks of the river. Hotels have begun to be fearful, but we have now introduced more security measures," said a member of staff at one of the hotels in the area. The international and big local chain hotels located in the area are the Anantara Bangkok Riverside & Spa, the Chatrium Hotel Riverside, the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, the Millennium Hilton, The Peninsula, the Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, and the Shangri-La Hotel.

"For the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, we can confirm that the safety and security of our guests and colleagues is of paramount importance at all times. Our comprehensive fire, life, health and safety protocols are firmly in place and we continue to cooperate with the local authorities regarding proactive security measures in and around our property," said a Mandarin Oriental Bangkok spokesperson. The InterContinental Bangkok, a luxury hotel in the Ratchaprasong area, said it was continuing to operate as normal.

However, the hotel has implemented its "security wise" protocol in the wake of Monday's blast, which entails security teams tightening up and adding security both within the building and outside.

"We are providing all guests with the latest information updates and also advising them to avoid going to blocked-off places," a hotel employee said, adding that the property had set aside rooms for staff in case of a crisis.

Meanwhile, a suspicious object was found yesterday at Nana BTS station, bringing fear to locals and tourists in the city-centre Sukhumvit area.

Minor Hotel Group said it was taking additional security action at its Anantara, Oaks and Avani hotels in Bangkok after Monday's explosion.

Primary actions include bringing together a crisis management team from the property and corporate offices and activating the company's crisis communication plan, which is in place.

Measures taken include personal checks with every single guest; providing regular updates on the situation for guests; providing a 24-hour central point of contact; taking additional safety and security measures and monitoring the situation closely; providing alternative options for guests who may wish to transfer to another hotel in the group; and communicating with agents in Thailand and outside.

Meanwhile, in the wake of Monday's atrocity, the authorities are increasing safeguards and security measures at major tourist attractions, public areas, airports, as well as zoos.

The Stock Exchange of Thailand Index rebounded yesterday following an almost 30-basis-points drop on Tuesday after Monday's bomb blast and the attempted secondary attack, while the baht has remained stable at around 35.50 per US dollar.

The country's main stock index closed at 1408.74 points on Monday before declining to 1372.61 on Tuesday, but was able to rebound by 6.51 basis points to close at 1379.12 yesterday.

The baht was trading at 35.536 per US dollar on Monday and 35.539 on Tuesday, before continuing its depreciating trend against the greenback to 35.580 as of 5pm yesterday, due to the strengthening of the dollar.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Bangkok-hotels-tighten-security-30267018.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-20

It is all very well to tighten security and this applies to everywhere in the world, it is indeed difficult to stop these types of atrocities , this scum don't wear special uniforms or advertise their presence and generally blend in with their surrounds and how many backpacks do you see out n about today, you can only do the best security you can do , that is still no guarantee of your safety. coffee1.gif

What kind of garbage is this article getting at? Maybe two or three hotels nearest to the bombing slightly stepped up their security.

But there sure as hell aren't any changes at the Kempinski Hotel, behind Siam Paragon and less than 1km from the bomb site. Porters still open doors and let you walk in and out without so much as looking at any bags you may be carrying. This information is from today.

Cars and motorcycles are still parked on the roadside at the Asok intersection, within metres of the subway and skytrain systems. I also spotted numerous gas bottles placed carelessly on the footpath next to these vehicles.

Hardly anything has changed in Bangkok - there is no sense of "we need to change our security measures to prevent this happening again".

It's difficult to say this, but the attitude here seems to be, "let's sweep away the body parts, re-open the shrine and pretend life is the same as always". "Let bygones be bygones". I'm not sure this is a Thai attitude or a Buddhist attitude. But from our perspective, it's very bizarre indeed.

While most Thais are probably angered and saddened by what happened, for the average Somchai not much has changed and in a year or two from now, most likely it will all be forgotten. Which I think is very sad and indeed quite dangerous.

What kind of garbage is this article getting at? Maybe two or three hotels nearest to the bombing slightly stepped up their security.

But there sure as hell aren't any changes at the Kempinski Hotel, behind Siam Paragon and less than 1km from the bomb site. Porters still open doors and let you walk in and out without so much as looking at any bags you may be carrying. This information is from today.

Cars and motorcycles are still parked on the roadside at the Asok intersection, within metres of the subway and skytrain systems. I also spotted numerous gas bottles placed carelessly on the footpath next to these vehicles.

Hardly anything has changed in Bangkok - there is no sense of "we need to change our security measures to prevent this happening again".

It's difficult to say this, but the attitude here seems to be, "let's sweep away the body parts, re-open the shrine and pretend life is the same as always". "Let bygones be bygones". I'm not sure this is a Thai attitude or a Buddhist attitude. But from our perspective, it's very bizarre indeed.

While most Thais are probably angered and saddened by what happened, for the average Somchai not much has changed and in a year or two from now, most likely it will all be forgotten. Which I think is very sad and indeed quite dangerous.

If they're going to take it seriously though, it would mean changing the entire city

Large piles of Garbage every few metres on busy streets is the norm for bkk and people just walk past dropping more things on top....

To take security seriously would mean changing the entire culture of parking wherever you like or can fit your vehicle, it would have to be illegal to leave anything unattended anywhere etc

I think if we are honest, it's only a matter of time until the next one of these things happens, security is crap, I walked into a hotel last night at pantip (not far from the bomb site) and nobody asked me anything and I was not even a guest there nor had I ever stayed there before

I was allowed to go unchecked and the people I met were not checked either