23 countries issue travel warnings for Thailand

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travel warnings are a way for governments and insurance companies to avoid paying any compensation.

The point is not to protect you, which is impossible with terrorism, but to tell you "if you go there, it's at your own risk", as insurance companies will refuse to pay.

I would find it difficult to support a position that "warnings are a way for governments and insurance companies to avoid paying any compensation". I don't know the workings of each government or every insurance company, therefore, it seems illogical to profess to know differently.

Travel warnings are a way for governments and insurance companies to avoid paying any compensation.

The point is not to protect you, which is impossible with terrorism, but to tell you "if you go there, it's at your own risk", as insurance companies will refuse to pay.

I would find it difficult to support a position that "warnings are a way for governments and insurance companies to avoid paying any compensation". I don't know the workings of each government or every insurance company, therefore, it seems illogical to profess to know differently.

this was an answer to forum members who say there is no point in warning against terrorism acts.

These official warnings are more a tool used by insurance companies and embassies to discharge themselves from responsibilities, and protect themselves, than a way to actually protect you which anyone knows it's impossible in terrorism.

And that was an answer I had from my own embassy when asking the same candid question: "What's the point of warning people against terrorism?"

There's no safety in numbers. Terrorists are like hackers, they want to create maximum damage. Microsoft gets the majority of hacks because it has the majority of customers. Linux-based operating systems rarely get attacked, if ever. Terrorists want large crowds. Ergo, stay away from large crowds and your chances of being the victim of a bomb attack are very small.

Calm down gentlemen.

A detailed list of instructions for safe tourism is being compiled.

1) Check the toilet seat before and after use.

2) Check your girlfriend for authenticity by grabbing you know where.

3) Visit only those places which do not have Chinese tourists around.

4) Avoid South, North, East and West parts of Thailand.

5) Mingle freely with locals - they are always safe.

6) When meeting with foreign tourists make sure they are not French Uighurs.

7) During your whole stay never walk out onto the balcony.

8) When ordering Korean food don't forget to specify 'South'.

9) Learn basic Thai: Island of Dr. Moreau = Koh Tao.

10).... please, help!... thanks

otherwise these warnings make little sense.

Statistically speaking and with all security checks going up, and the madness around it, there are very little chance that a terrorist would plant a second bomb. So in reality Bangkok has never been so safe right after the bombing

Nowhere is completely safe these days... Just go, have fun and hope that you're not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Your statement is almost correct. By having fun and not worrying it's actually impossible to meet with unfortunate circumstances.

I don't expect most here to comprehend the nature of our vibrational reality, but hey, those who have ears... 8-)

you've been hugging too many trees. I bet a lot of people who were victims of the bomb blast weren't worried and were having fun

Nowhere is completely safe these days... Just go, have fun and hope that you're not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Correct and I commend your positive attitude but the fact is some places are safer than others. The bedroom could normally be regarded as a safe place but not necessarily in a few parts of Thailand. With Thailand the way it is at present in relation to road safety, civil law, crime (serious and petty), politics and now terrorism a person has more than a fair chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. By comparison Vietnam seems a much safer place to travel in Asia.

Edited by Brer Fox

AGAIN!! I know dozens of other "countries" where it's bloody more dangerous! Everywhere you have lunatics and fanatics politically motivated or not. A sad but real fact. Does that mean you always have to hand out travel warnings over and over again? It's like creating a sort of panic situation among would-be travelers implying that every single day something bad can happen in Thailand. Please wake up "International Community"! saai.gif

For me the fact that there are no bins outside the malls in Siam-area says enough.

But even that can't stop the bombers the last years. Also loads and loads of camera's doesn't help at all.

Did they ever arrest the bombers who placed a small bomb at Siam Paragon some months ago?

I never heard of that case again.

For me it sounds weird that with so many dashcams and people filming or making pictures they still can't find a good picture of this bomber.

I mean you can't even walk 10 steps in the area without seeing people making selfies or pictures, the bomber weared a yellow shirt so he should be filmed somewhere by somebody i guess.

I thought the lack of bins was to make you throw your fag ends on the floor so they could fine you?

Yup i agree that's why i always search for the missing bins. I had to pay the police once 1000 baht for dropping my fag end in a drain.

So now i walk around with the fag end but if i don't see a bin within 10 minutes i just drop it somewhere.

Why can't they just have an ashtray right next to the securityguard???

Insurance companies do not need gov warning NOT to pay.

Each policy has terrorism, war and act of god exclusions

You have different degrees of compensation, and I'm no expert, but basically once you have been officially warned not got, you get even less.

That's the idea

There are no degrees or limits.

If you come to Thailand and get hit by a car, insurance covers all your costs.

If you come to Thailand and get hit by a bomb, insurance does not pay a cent.

Anything which falls into exclusion is not covered at all, anything outside the exclusions still has the same cover smile.png

However some companies may increase premium because of the warning, but warning level is not really high enough at the moment

Why not just say insurance companies will not pay out for anything if there is any way they can get away with it.

"Urging citizens to take extra care" ??

And how does a citizen do this.

You can't, avoiding an area like the shrine that was bombed makes little sense as it is unlikely to be targeted again any time soon, funny thing human nature, as we will avoid this place and gather at another place of interest that may well be on some ones list of targets.

Edited by Oziex1

Travel anywhere in today's world is dangerous. Bangkok is no more dangerous than New York City. However, no family with children should visit Thailand until the underlying political situation is normalized.
Most travel insurance policies have exclusionary clauses in the case of injuries or damages due to civil unrest. It is reprehensible to put your children in danger.

Hawaii awaits ....

And how does a citizen do this ?

Monitor risk advice from reputable sources, try to have a heightened sense of awareness of potential risks when you are out and about, and keep your eyes open for things like left bags. If in doubt, avoid the most busy tourist sites, or other location categories that might be associated with the specific threat. You can choose to be affected or not by such terror actions as this bombing. Stay safe.

This American, feels very comfortable taking his Thai family anywhere in the kingdom.

You have a better chance of hitting the lottery 3 times in a row then being blown up!

Where's Spock when you need him?

You have different degrees of compensation, and I'm no expert, but basically once you have been officially warned not got, you get even less.

That's the idea

There are no degrees or limits.

If you come to Thailand and get hit by a car, insurance covers all your costs.

If you come to Thailand and get hit by a bomb, insurance does not pay a cent.

Anything which falls into exclusion is not covered at all, anything outside the exclusions still has the same cover smile.png

However some companies may increase premium because of the warning, but warning level is not really high enough at the moment

Why not just say insurance companies will not pay out for anything if there is any way they can get away with it.

Because that would be a false statement . No problems being paid for legitimate claims.

Good news because travel warning are telling people that Thailand is about to explode. Dictator PM and people who want democracy about to come to a head. So sorry to see what they have to be free speaking and voting people again. I think this is only the tip of the iceberg!

Is there a stupidity clause?

Quote: "The Netherlands is the only country that instructed its people to be alert. That represented just a Level 1 advisory, meaning its citizens should be aware of the situation around them."

Dutch meaning of Level 1 advisory: "Keep your eyes open (look right and left) when crossing the street !"

In reality: "Dutch government doesn't give a $#!t about their citzens in foreign countries. Just see all the lies they've told about the MH-17 flight!"

Edited by FredNL

And how does a citizen do this ?

What they mean is you should walk around with your eyes and ears open. then you might know what is going on around you and not being drunk all day and night.

What fun is that? Might as well not go then?giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

Go somewhere else.

Did the same countries issue warnings about Turkey as well?

The current violence in Turkey is much worse than it is in Thailand, what do you think?

Travel and other 'warnings' issued are country specific.

"What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" theory does not apply today!