Some NRC members happy with revised charter draft

webfact

Some NRC members happy with revised charter draft
WASAMON AUDJARINT
KHANITTHA THEPKAJORN
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Representatives of National Reform Council (NRC) groups said they are satisfied with the revised version of the draft charter, which includes some of the changes they recommended.

The Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) yesterday held a meeting with four groups of the NRC to hear and acknowledge changes on the draft before submitting its final version to the NRC on Saturday.

After the meeting, representatives of the NRC said the CDC had followed many proposals suggested by them.

Poldej Pinprateep, spokesman of the NRC administration group, said the CDC fully agreed with 31 points among the NRC's proposals. The committee, however, only partly agreed with another 38 proposal points.

The CDC also agreed to reduce senators' authority following their proposals. However, the CDC turned down their proposal to select the total number of senators. The CDC also agreed to not merge the National Human Rights Commission with the Ombudsman.

"I don't think the CDC will make any changes during the remaining time [before submission]" he said. "Personally, I think this draft is more progressive than those of 1997 and 2007."

Teerayut Lorlertrat, leader of the group, said he did not see any major problem with the revised version.

However, Teerayut expressed some concerns over overlapping authority between the National Strategic Committee, focusing on a national 20-year overall strategy, and the National Strategic Reform and Reconciliation Committee, focusing on the subject of its name.

Once established, both bodies would be led by the same group of people, according to the current draft, he said.

"I know that [the CDC] will clearly separate both functions, but I would like them to prioritise agendas on governance and development [as urgent issues]" he said, weighing in on the National Strategic Committee.

"But I agree that both of them are important and should be harmonious with each other."

Asked if he would vote for the draft, he replied "I'm happy with it, so why not? But I will have to see the whole draft again [before making a final decision.]"

Lt-General Navin Damrigan, another NRC member and CDC spokesman, however, reassured that both bodies would be driven simultaneously.

"Our country needs continuation, and we need firm strategies to guide our directions." he said.

Somchai Ruchupan, who led the NRC group working on finance issues, said he was satisfied with the proposal to establish the National Strategic Committee. He said it was time for the country to be guided with long-term strategies and there should be an agency responsible for this task.

He said he was also happy to see the CDC set clear authorities for government agencies, so they do not have confusing roles. This ranges from regulatory authority to policy making and operations among others.

Somchai said the CDC had also responded to the NRC's proposal to have the Finance Ministry play the part of a key agency that takes care of state enterprises on behalf of the public.

Other changes introduced by the CDC in response to the NRC's proposals are removing the narrow definition of the national budget, as well as covering tax collection at both local and national levels as well as reforming the national pension system.

Manoon Siriwan, representative of the environment and energy group, said 70 per cent of his group's proposal -including the removal of "political group" from the draft - received a response from the CDC.

He said his group was satisfied with the CDC's revision because the drafters were able to maintain the draft's major principles.

The CDC, chaired by Borwornsak Uwanno, was scheduled to meet representatives of eight groups from the NRC yesterday and today.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Some-NRC-members-happy-with-revised-charter-draft-30267031.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-20

"Our country needs continuation, and we need firm strategies to guide our directions."

It would be more accurate to have stated:

"Our military needs continuation and we need firm strategies to guide our direction."

The draft 2015 Constitution deleted the novel Article 68 in Part 13, "Right to Protect the Constitution":

"No person shall exercise the rights and liberties prescribed in the Constitution to overthrow the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State under this Constitution or to acquire the power to rule the country by any means which is not in accordance with the modes provided in this Constitution."

In this way the military doesn't have to invoke amnesty the next time it overthrows an elected government. Hardly what I would a more liberal constitution.

I think it will be a good outcome in the end. Western style democracy has never worked in Thailand.

The majority of Thais support the present governments efforts and it is up to them to decide the future and posts like yours are irrelevant because you are not Thai

I think it will be a good outcome in the end. Western style democracy has never worked in Thailand.

The majority of Thais support the present governments efforts and it is up to them to decide the future and posts like yours are irrelevant because you are not Thai

I disagree that foreign opinion is irrelevant. Foreigners cannot vote, but wield a significant influence in other areas. Expats determine foreign investment decisions, and opinions of foreign diplomats here influence their home country's foreign policy towards Thailand, both of which have significant economic influence on Thailand.

Not to mention the large investment and spending by the foreign residents / retirees.

Foreign opinion that the charter will not lead to rule of law or democracy is far from irrelevant.

Poldej Pinprateep, spokesman of the NRC administration group, said ... "I don't think the CDC will make any changes during the remaining time [before submission]" he said. "Personally, I think this draft is more progressive than those of 1997 and 2007."

wel of course he would say that - he is as yellow as they come. complete anti-democrat.

Democracy is not "western style"

Democracy is democracy, and comments like yours are just smoke and mirror excuses for non-democracy.

As for relevance, some of us are members of Thai families, and as such, whether we are Thai or not Thai, we have a stake in this country. Again, claiming otherwise is just smoke and mirror excuses.

As for it being "up to Thais", well it isn't now and it won't be in the future under this current draft - that is exactly the objective of the current clowns drafting a "constitution".

When it should have been "up to Thais" would have been in 2014 when they went to the polls and when they were going to go to the polls again in July. As any blind man can see, the current group in charge of drafting the constitution and cementing in place the rules for the next 20 years at the ones who worked actively against leaving it "up to Thais".