Australian leader Tony Abbott says 7 jihadi suspects stopped at airport

webfact

Australian leader says 7 jihadi suspects stopped at airport
ROD McGUIRK, Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Seven young Australians were recently prevented from leaving the country for fear that they intended to join terrorists in the Middle East, the prime minister said Thursday.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott refused to give details, including who the seven were, their ages, gender or where and when they were intercepted.

"We have stopped at the airport seven young Australians who were planning to travel to the Middle East, it seems, to join terrorist groups over there," Abbott told reporters.

"This indicates the continuing allure of this death cult," he said, referring to the Islamic State movement. "It shows the importance of the most vigorous action at home and abroad to disrupt, degrade, to destroy this menace to the freedom and the security of the world."

The largest single group of suspected jihadis to attempt to leave Australia for Syria and Iraq were stopped by counterterrorism authorities at Sydney International Airport on Aug. 12, The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported Thursday. That group comprised five men, the newspaper reported, citing an unnamed intelligence source.

Border Protection Minister Peter Dutton confirmed there had been "an incident" at the airport on Aug. 12, but would not provide details because an investigation was ongoing.

"I can say to you that there was an incident at Sydney International Airport on Aug. 12 and that follows a number of people who have been off-loaded by the counterterrorism unit officers in particular in Sydney and Melbourne over a period of time," Dutton told reporters.

"We are concerned about the number of people presenting at airports, particularly younger people, who might be seeking to travel overseas for reasons that would horrify Australians and their parents and family and community, no doubt, as well," he added.

Australia has posted counterterrorism units at all international airports since September last year in a bid to prevent jihadis traveling to the Middle East.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-20

A tiny microchip may be a way of following these suspected wannabe terroists. If they are recruits they will head for the boot camp training area. Once that location is pin pointed and verified as to its purpose it should be a easy target for several military groups who have access to aircraft that can eliminate a part of the problem, plus raise a lot more questions about who is recruiting who, within the te4rroists group itself.

The drug routes have been traced this way so its not a new or novel practice.

I cannot understand why the government are stopping these people, let them go and revoke their passport so they cannot come back. Who really needs these resentful people living amongst us,would they now be considered a bigger threat to Australian people?

I cannot understand why the government are stopping these people, let them go and revoke their passport so they cannot come back. Who really needs these resentful people living amongst us,would they now be considered a bigger threat to Australian people?

I've said it before & now say it again. It would be totally wrong for Oz government to permit people to join Islamist groups who have a proven track record for murdering innocents, including non-Muslims, rape as a tool of war & other horrendous crimes.

Apparently the people mentioned in the OP returned to the airport the next day and again were stopped from departing. To me this is ridiculous as if there was sufficient info to stop them departing in the first place they should have been arrested & held until further investigations provided enough info for appropriate charges to be laid. If further legislation is required, hopefully it will be swiftly enacted.

USA has now requested RAAF to be given permission to engage targets in Syria, but not Western Syria as aircraft would be more exposed to anti aircraft defenses!

Edited by simple1

I've said it before & now say it again. It would be totally wrong for Oz government to permit people to join Islamist groups who have a proven track record for murdering innocents, including non-Muslims, rape as a tool of war & other horrendous crimes.

Apparently the people mentioned in the OP returned to the airport the next day and again were stopped from departing. To me this is ridiculous as if there was sufficient info to stop them departing in the first place they should have been arrested & held until further investigations provided enough info for appropriate charges to be laid. If further legislation is required, hopefully it will be swiftly enacted.

USA has now requested RAAF to be given permission to engage targets in Syria, but not Western Syria as aircraft would be more exposed to anti aircraft defenses!

You make a valid point however if you accept the premise that their intent is to cause terror then why are they still walking around free in Australia. If there is not enough evidence to arrest them then let them go and don't let them come back. Can't have it both ways.