Carter will undergo radiation for brain cancer

Lite Beer

ATLANTA (AP) — The latest on Jimmy Carter's first public comments since announcing his cancer diagnosis

Jimmy Carter says his cancer has shown up in his liver and on his brain and that he will undergo radiation treatment.

Carter said Thursday in his first public remarks since his diagnosis that the cancer was first discovered as a tumor on his liver. On Aug. 3, he says, he underwent surgery to remove the tumor. He says about one-tenth of his liver was removed.

But he says that later, four spots of melanoma were found on his brain. He says he will have his first radiation treatment Thursday afternoon.

He says no cancer has been found on his pancreas or any other part of his body so far. He says doctors are monitoring closely.

He says he will cut back "fairly dramatically" on work at his Carter Center in Atlanta. He says treatment will be his top priority.

Carter says he is not feeling despair or anger over his health. He says he feels good, with only slight pain.

He says: "I'm perfectly at ease with whatever comes. I'm ready for anything. I'm looking forward to a new adventure."

Former President Jimmy Carter says cancer that first was discovered as a tumor on his liver also is on his brain, and he will undergo radiation treatment.

Carter said Thursday at a news conference in his first public remarks since his diagnosis that he would undergo the first treatment later that day.

Carter also says he will cut back "fairly dramatically" on his work at the Carter Center.

Carter says a tumor showed up in an MRI after he sought treatment at Emory hospital in Atlanta. He says he first felt sick while he was in Guyana in May to monitor an election.

He says he underwent surgery to remove the tumour on his liver on Aug. 3.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-20

Carter is the most under appreciated American president in recent memory. As far as I'm concerned, Ronald Reagan's greatest achievement was not getting caught making the deal with Iran to hold on to the hostages until Carter was out of the White House. I remember watching with my dad the hostages being released and him saying, the ayatollah has just elected the president of the United States.

T

He is one of the greats. Unfortunately these days, in our lifetimes, there simply are a limited number of truly great men and women who really do something with their lives. He is one of them. He made such a difference. He left a legacy tiny men like Little George II can only dream about. Hope he does not have to suffer much. He does not deserve that. Frankly, I think he was too noble for the office of president.

He is one of the greats. Unfortunately these days, in our lifetimes, there simply are a limited number of truly great men and women who really do something with their lives. He is one of them. He made such a difference. He left a legacy tiny men like Little George II can only dream about. Hope he does not have to suffer much. He does not deserve that. Frankly, I think he was too noble for the office of president.

My hope is that, in my lifetime, America becomes the kind of country that deserves a president like Carter. He was ahead of his time on many issues: climate change, human rights, sustainable development, etc

T