American newspaper mistakes Thailand for Taiwan

webfact

That's pretty bad.

I might expect that in Kansas but San Jose is a major city and also hosts a very large (mostly Vietnamese) Asian American population.

I wonder how many American noticed the difference?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big deal. Most American thanks New Mexico is a foreign country and you need a passport to visit.

Most Americans think Mexico is a foreign country, but you don't need a passport to visit (by land or sea).biggrin.png

Actually you do because you can't get back into the USA without a passport, unless you have one of those business exception things. I only went once a few years ago to Tijuana (never went back), but I thought they now check that you do have a passport as you leave the USA?

Oh, <deleted>! Is this thread still running?

WHY???

Because we so very much love American-bashing probably, which is an opportunity not often present on a Thailand forum.

I know, I know. There are a surprising number of guys born and raised in the west who are frothing at the mouth at the mere mention of the US. Never understood it. Sure, there's a lot to criticise in the US, and the widespread American belief in its exceptionalism, uniqueness and being number one in everything is annoying, but would you rather have Russia or China as the big dog? Looks like some of the US bashers would.

I have a suggestion for the mods. Why not create a thread exclusively dedicated to US bashing? That way we could hopefully get rid of the most boring posters. Come to think of it, better dedicate a thread to Pattaya bashing as well.

WHY???

Because we so very much love American-bashing probably, which is an opportunity not often present on a Thailand forum.

It's actually often present and often exercised here. Boring and tedious as it is.

Big deal. Most American thanks New Mexico is a foreign country and you need a passport to visit.

Most Americans think Mexico is a foreign country, but you don't need a passport to visit (by land or sea).biggrin.png

Actually you do because you can't get back into the USA without a passport, unless you have one of those business exception things. I only went once a few years ago to Tijuana (never went back), but I thought they now check that you do have a passport as you leave the USA?

There are other options.

WHY???

Who are you speaking for?

This is not just a one-off, but is indicative of widespread ignorance in the USA. It is a shock to discover really how little is their knowledge of geography, and therefor world history. I speak of the masses, not the elite, educated, worldly minority.

Republicans feed and milk the ignorance to stay in power.

Please tell us what superhuman country you are from where everybody knows everything....kinda like you?

This is not just a one-off, but is indicative of widespread ignorance in the USA. It is a shock to discover really how little is their knowledge of geography, and therefor world history. I speak of the masses, not the elite, educated, worldly minority.

Please tell us what superhuman country you are from where everybody knows everything....kinda like you?

Who cares? It obviously makes a lot of people feel bigger than their tiny little lives to insult the most important and powerful nation on the planet. I say let them have that cheap thrill and move on. No skin off my sweet Yankee ass!

Who cares? It obviously makes a lot of people feel bigger than their tiny little lives to insult the most important and powerful nation on the planet. I say let them have that cheap thrill and move on. No skin off my sweet Yankee ass!

The most important and powerful?

China or Saudi Arabia, either of those countries call for debt payment or turn off the oil valves respectively and the chaos in the United States would be epic.

Sad but true, front row seat to the modern day fall of the Roman Empire.

When I first moved to California I met some locals and told them I was from back east. (How Californians generally refer to the US east coast.) One guy replied. I've been back east. Nevada.

Remember flying into Denver and catching a cab with a 70 year old cab driver whose proudest boast was that he had never been out of the state.

China or Saudi Arabia, either of those countries call for debt payment or turn off the oil valves respectively and the chaos in the United States would be epic.

What ever so powerful country are you from?

World's largest economy is what? US I think. Neither one of those countries have anything near the power and wealth of the US. This crisis right now is because of the Chinese and monetary policies. And Saudi oil, pfff you know why the oil is $40 a barrel right now? Its because other countries are now getting oil from other places other than Saudi.

But sorry I had to correct your incorrect responses but what does this have to do with a simple typo mistake other than the I hate the US TV brigade to have a place to bitch and complain.

World's largest economy is what? US I think. Neither one of those countries have anything near the power and wealth of the US. This crisis right now is because of the Chinese and monetary policies. And Saudi oil, pfff you know why the oil is $40 a barrel right now? Its because other countries are now getting oil from other places other than Saudi.

But sorry I had to correct your incorrect responses but what does this have to do with a simple typo mistake other than the I hate the US TV brigade to have a place to bitch and complain.

facepalm.gif

can't fathom why those on this forum compares world geography knowledge between a state level multi-million dollar professional English language tabloid company with an underprivileged girl from E-san "Thai wife" or a Thai taxi driver who just returned from his paddy fields?

Perhaps you should invest in a ten-dollar English language course, so that some day you may be able to write something that makes sense.

fishin,

We used to be a great country, before the Bushes got into power.

Today the USA spends a whopping 800 Billion every year on so-called "defense" but only 30 Billion for all of medical research, you know, on the kinds of things that actually kill people? Like heart disease and cancer?

More Americas are killed by their bathtubs every year than by terrorists worldwide. But you wouldn't know that from watching CNN or FOX News. The mass media in America makes its living by scaring people instead of educating them.

Hence, Taiwan instead of Thailand.

It has the same thing to do with the OP as another poster claiming the US is "the most important and powerful nation on the planet".

My country doesn't care about being the "most powerful" or having the "biggest economy" but it does care about educating her citizens on geography and world history.

As related to the original post.

Edited by HLover

I think your perceptions may be lagging a bit behind reality.

Regarding Saudi oil...

In 2014, according to CNN, the US was the world's top oil producer. Saudi Arabia was #2. Russia was #3.

In 2012, only 15% of Saudi crude oil exports went to the US, and 5% of refined oil products, went to the Americas. Asia was the top destination for Saudi oil.

Because of the boom in oil production in the US, it is a net exporter of refined products.

All of this makes the US far less dependent on Saudi Arabia than they were in the past.

The world economy is interdependent (what goes around, comes around). There is no rational scenario now for the actions you imagine.

Taiwan vs Thailand may be confusing to some, but we all know where Dumbfuckistan is: between Canada and Mexico.

And here's the evidence!

"The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2014-2015 list the best global universities and are the only international university performance tables to judge world class universities across all of their core missions - teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook."

1) California Institute of Technology (US)

2) Harvard University (US)

3) University of Oxford (UK)

4) Stanford University (US)

5) University of Cambridge (UK)

6) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (US)

7) Princeton University (US)

8) University of California at Berkeley (US)

9) Imperial College London (UK)

10) Yale University (US)

11) University of Chicago (US)

12) University of California at LA (US)

13) Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Switzerland)

14) Columbia University (US)

15) Johns Hopkins University (US)

16) University of Pennsylvania (US)

17) University of Michigan (US)

18) Duke University (US)

19) Cornell University (US)

20) University of Toronto (Canada)

Kudos to the Brits for scoring 3 in the top ten. As for those other countries, not so impressive.rolleyes.gif

Taiwan vs Thailand may be confusing to some, but we all know where Dumbfuckistan is: between Canada and Mexico.

What an Ass Clown ...

Agreed but nothing will ever change. TV thrives and makes money on US, Thai, and ladyboy bashing. Its all about the number of clicks performed as it generates revenue. The forum is about the owners of TV making money off the backs of its members plain and simple. The number of fucktards on this site is overwhelming.

And here's the evidence!

"The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2014-2015 list the best global universities and are the only international university performance tables to judge world class universities across all of their core missions - teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook."

10) Yale University (US)

18) Duke University (US)

Kudos to the Brits for scoring 3 in the top ten. As for those other countries, not so impressive.rolleyes.gif

I bet you were rejected by every single one of these universities. They're extremely well funded by rich alumni and expensive tuition rates, which results in higher quality of education, and attended by Asians and other foreign students who easily outperform their slower-witted US counterparts on the admission tests.

And here's the evidence!

10) Yale University (US)

18) Duke University (US)

I bet you were rejected by every single one of these universities. They're extremely well funded by rich alumni and expensive tuition rates, which results in higher quality of education, and attended by Asians and other foreign students who easily outperform their slower-witted US counterparts on the admission tests.

“Will you walk into my parlour?” said the Spider to the Fly.

cheesy.gif

#15 Tubby. Class of '76. Rah rah.

Not rich. No alumni connections.

Just An American Dumbass.

Now, be a good boy, and fetch me a gin and tonic.

Edited by phoenixdoglover