Moving Langkawi to Krabi

Moving to Thailand: I ask for the benefit of your expertise.

Here is the situation. I am a 73 year old American. I do not work nor intend to. My wife is a Thai national. We now live on Langkawi Island (Malaysia). We intend to buy and live in a new, small house (freehold) near Krabi.

1) Real Estate. I am aware that I cannot directly own property in Thailand, and that, in effect, I am buying my wife a house. That is fine. What are the main pitfalls of buying property in Thailand? Should we have a lawyer? How do we check for a clear title? How do we insure that there no encumbrances/liens?

2) Moving household goods. We will leave all furniture in Malaysia. What companies might do the move for us? My wife says we can do most of it ourselves, but I am not too sure. Advisable or not? How do we deal with Thai Customs at the Satun/Tammalang ferry terminal? Are they helpful or obstructive? Any advice on incentives for easing the difficulties? I was a sailor for a very long time and therefore have many tools, power and hand: Problem? Electronic components (my hobby): Problem? Paints and volatiles remain in Malaysia. Other difficulties? Should I sell my motorcycle (150cc) here or try to bring it?

Are you moving into a village? An already built home? Or buying a piece of dirt and building your own?

As far as moving household goods, you wife should have no problems. How long has she lived outside of Thailand?

I'd definitely bring the bike. You'd have to ship it, but that shouldn't be a big problem. Is it licensed in your name?

Are you moving into a village? An already built home? Or buying a piece of dirt and building your own?

As far as moving household goods, you wife should have no problems. How long has she lived outside of Thailand?

I'd definitely bring the bike. You'd have to ship it, but that shouldn't be a big problem. Is it licensed in your name?

Yes. small village. House already built.

As we live on the Malaysia (Langkawi) border my wife goes back to Thailand monthly.

Motorcycle.....I had heard rumors of heavy duties on vehicles ???? Yes it is registered in Malaysia in my name.

You should be pretty safe with regards to the house. If it was a standalone property, I might be more concerned as you never know about the title deeds here. Did you use an agent to buy the house? You wife should be able to read the property deed to make sure there are no liens, which are normally recorded on the doc.

As for the goods, if you wife has been living outside the kingdom for some time, she can get a one time clearance for bringing in goods. As for the scooter, you might want to open a topic about that in the motorcycle forum. And yes, duties here are ridiculous.

1.) Check with land registration office, they should have the info you need regarding to the land you are purchasing and if its a clear title.

2.) Not sure what your moving budget is, if you ship via moving companies they will pack everything up for you, they will be able to handle the duties and unpack it for your at your house. I'm guessing that is probably not what you want as its a costly option, if you ship via freight forwarding companies sometimes they can clear it for you for a small fee. That is probably the best route, you do not really want to deal with customs yourself. Again not sure how much household goods you have. Sell the bike a buy a new/used one here, not worth dealing with licensing and customs.