Looking for 12VDC To 220VAC Power converter 1,000 Watts

etsllc

I live near Pattaya, does anyone know where I can purchase a dc to ac Inverter / Power supply ? 12v DC in and 220v AC out, power here in Sattahip goes out a lot when weather is Bad. I want to build an alt AC power supply with large Battery (63A Car Battery) and Charger 20A for recharging car Battery. Any help finding store which has both items would be great.

Thanks !

Have you considered a small generator? If for just small items these are not too expensive. Bear in mind I mean only for a direct connection such as plugging in a fridge or lights directly to the genny no connection to house mains so no worries about feeding back to the mains

A gen is not good as it needs gas and the noise level is too high. That's why an inverter is the way to go ( 6 - 15 Hrs on one charge - 63A Battery). I can have it inside and setup small lights in each room and run a small fan, as it gets quite hot here. But thanks for the response !

There are inverter systems supplied in the Office support place near Homeworks/Big-C South Pattaya, Tai area.

I bet they are also available in Tuk-Com, Amorn too, but 1000W s is a pretty high load requirement.

You can get Inverter units from Ali Baba, a 12v-220/240VAC 3KW unit is about 10,000 baht incl postage.

They also have them on Lazada (12vDC/220AC, 1300W, 1200 baht)

Edited by jacko45k

A gen is not good as it needs gas and the noise level is too high. That's why an inverter is the way to go ( 6 - 15 Hrs on one charge - 63A Battery). I can have it inside and setup small lights in each room and run a small fan, as it gets quite hot here. But thanks for the response !

Uhm, I think you made an error in your calculations. The 63Ah is of the 12V battery. If you would draw a 1000Watt of 220V then your battery would be dead in under half an hour.

Edited by Gulfsailor

You may well have a problem with the fan, they do not like motors, the starting current will probably trip the overload.

You can get an inverter at Amorn, basement of Tuk.com on South Pattaya road. I bought an 800mA one, think it was about 2K baht. Not sure what they go up to but certainly more than the one I bought.

At Amorn in Sriracha Tukcom they have inverters 2000 W, 4000 Watt peak, delivering pure sine wave.

Motors have no problem with pure sine wave, they have with modified sine wave though, and 4000 Wat peak would solve the problem of starting current.

Uhm, I think you made an error in your calculations. The 63Ah is of the 12V battery. If you would draw a 1000Watt of 220V then your battery would be dead in under half an hour.

A chunk of current too....

I did not see any mention of wattage. I am not sure how big they come but mine at 800mA would only support about 176 watts. On a 63Ah battery that would last about 4 hours.

Handy website if you want to calculate how long your battery will last.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/202955/Inverters-UPSs

A chunk of current too....

Yeah. Didn't even think of that yet. Drawing 80+Amps on a standard car battery for anymore than a few seconds would surely bend the plates.

Better to get 2x 24V truck batteries for this purpose. Or look at deep cycle batteries, but those get expensive quickly.

I checked my fans rating and it draws .22 A or 47 Watts and small lights run about 22 Watts. So my load is very small, 4 lights and a Fan, total load less than 150 Watts, so if I choose a converter that can handle 1,000 Watts I should not have any problems. I am not running 1,000 Watts, just the device can handle up to 1,000 Watts. As far as current, 150 Watts is less than 1 Amp, so a 63A car battery should not run out quickly. (Power=Voltage x Current) or (Current=Power/Voltage)

I checked my fans rating and it draws .22 A or 47 Watts and small lights run about 22 Watts. So my load is very small, 4 lights and a Fan, total load less than 150 Watts, so if I choose a converter that can handle 1,000 Watts I should not have any problems. I am not running 1,000 Watts, just the device can handle up to 1,000 Watts. As far as current, 150 Watts is less than 1 Amp, so a 63A car battery should not run out quickly. (Power=Voltage x Current) or (Current=Power/Voltage)

I think should have taken the time to look at the link I posted

To convert AC Watts to DC Amps:

AC Watts ÷ 12 x 1.1 = DC Amps

So 150 Watts = 13.75 Amps.

Unless you have a deep cycle battery, a discharge below 50% will damage the battery.

Edited by Anthony5

I have a 2.2KW inverter on the back of the van with a 108AHr battery, most of the time it is drawing less than 200w but I can run power tools and flood lights if required.

Number of factors to consider:

• Efficiency, a lot of energy loss due to power conversion, even if the inverter is not driving any load it is still a drain on the battery.
  • Draining the battery will shorten the batteries life.
  • High current will also shorten the battery life.
  • If the battery is not being cycled the plates will fur up reducing the power out.

Have you considered 12v lighting, LED lighting is probable the best option for efficiency.

I have a 2.2KW inverter on the back of the van with a 108AHr battery, most of the time it is drawing less than 200w but I can run power tools and flood lights if required.

Number of factors to consider:

• Efficiency, a lot of energy loss due to power conversion, even if the inverter is not driving any load it is still a drain on the battery.
  • Draining the battery will shorten the batteries life.
  • High current will also shorten the battery life.
  • If the battery is not being cycled the plates will fur up reducing the power out.

Have you considered 12v lighting, LED lighting is probable the best option for efficiency.

The op was not interested in post 15.

hay what do we all know.

I did not see any mention of wattage. I am not sure how big they come but mine at 800mA would only support about 176 watts. On a 63Ah battery that would last about 4 hours.

they come as big as you want them. this is a small one providing 2,500 kVa (~2,000 W) powering my study and my TV-room in case of a power failure:

post-35218-0-47603200-1440250998_thumb.j

if you want a simple inverter, no integrated charger, manual switching, peak output 3000 Watts, brand new, free of charge send me a private message with your phone number and we'll arrange that you can pick it up.