Authentic Thai Cheap Eats

stament

I've hear the North Gate area outside of the Moat referred to as the best night food market in the world.

This used to be the case... But lately the area has been overrun by Chinese tourists... Mainly because an interprising lady vendor that sells pork over rice has made herself famous on the Chinese Internet with a cowboy hat...

Also, the street food stalls at the North Gate have been featured on TV shows like Anthony Bourdain, so English-speaking tourists go there, too.

But, it will always have a "special place" in my heart because it was the very first place where Hubby and I ate dinner as new retirees, fresh off the boat in Chiang Mai. We were staying in Viangbua Mansion and walked down Chang Puek looking for a place to eat. We didn't even know about the food court at Tanin Market at that point and didn't know the basics of ordering Thai food. But, we made our way down Chang Puek, figuring we'd stop at a sidewalk eatery where the food looked good and, while we passed a few places were people were eating, nothing looked appealing. And no one made any eye contact with us, either.

But at the North Gate food stalls, we wandered around, looking at the food on everyone's plates and finally an enterprising stall owner shoved an English-language menu in our hands and motioned for us to sit at one of his tables. We ordered by pointing at what we wanted and he brought us water. We asked about "beer Chang", mispronouncing the vowel as most English-speakers do and he spoke to someone and a bottle appeared after what seemed like a long wait. I realize now someone was sent to the 7-11. He offered us ice, which we thought very odd at the time. (what newbies we were!)

Overall, it was a splendid first meal for our first night of retirement in Chiang Mai, all because of the hospitality of a food cart vendor at the North Gate. I must admit, we went back a few times, but not much after the first month or two once we discovered a much broader horizon.

Oh, what did we order? Chicken fried rice. We were still pretty timid at the time.

Edited by NancyL

Yes, the Cowboy Hat lady has the Chinese lining up 7 deep from 18:00 to 02:00. Notice, I said "Night time," so when you start looking at what is available after 23:00 the landscape changes a lot. You really can't paint all the places with the same brush, same for Suthep. Sanitation can vary from stall to stall. Chiang Phuak is probably the most Muslim centric food area, that is mainstream.

I will check it out CMKiwi, I don't like jok, what sort of food is it or just a mix?

I'm not a fan of that Jok slop either. This place has Thai food of various types. Menu in English as well.. I've not had a dish there yet that I don't like.

Unfortunate I live in Mae Rim so don't get to visit them as much as I'd like to. But in Mae Rim we a spoilt for choice too. A great place that is only open for dinner is directly opposite the Green Valley golf club. Only downside is the menu is only in Thai. But I generally only go there with the GF.

Oh and that place near the Jok outfit is only open from about 1830 (6pm) too

Edited by CMKiwi

Be a little wary of cheap and flavourful food, especially in food courts, as it usually contains high doses of sugar and MSG which may cause insomnia and insatiable thirst among other symptoms.

We seek out the restaurants, like Hello Solao, where you'll pay a tad more (~80 or 90 bt per dish), but it's cooked fresh and naturally tasty. The Thai lady owner lived and worked in USA for many years and runs a good clean restaurant. Isaan and Bangkok menu items mainly.

I never pay more than 35 Baht for any single Thai dish, such as the typical Pad Grapao Mu, or KaoManGai, or any of the red curry, green curry dishes, or Panang Moo, Panang Gai, or GengKiaoWan, etc.

Why pay more when you do not need to?

If you are in Chiang Mai, then it is best to stick close to where the uni students hang out for lunch, brunch, breakfast, dinner.

The students don't normally pay more than 30 Baht for one dish.

Also, the students are very well behaved and it is a pleasure to share their restaurants.

Of course, the exception to the rule might be the huge open restaurant near the night market outside the CMU front gate.

Sorry, but I find the quality of the food there quite low, and although it is healthy it is poorly prepared to provide the flavor you should expect from Thai food.

I would go on but I am starting to drool just thinking about all the Thai food available in this area.

Edited by AhanFan

• 2 months later...

I'm of a similar opinion ^. I don't get it, paying 100B for Thai food. The outdoor evening food vendors along Suthep Rd. next to the university offer a great range of choices. One I often go to is, roughly between the two 7/11s across the street. A little closer to the 2nd one. Two red Chinese lanterns hang in front. My choice is usually the phla sabba, you can get it as a set or just the fish with a small salad.

Across the road are many options also. The eye candy is also worth a visit. Also Malin Plaza almost across from the main CMU entrance. Big Thai food court at the back, sushi and bbq places also. Excellent value and mostly uni students.

There are a couple of food courts at the Maharaj Nakorn Hospital during the day.

One is located in a basement level off the main building, the other is located on an upper level outdoor area also off the main building.

The roof level had a far greater selection though.

Was quite busy with the numerous staff and hospital visitors eating there.

Thai language barrier may be an obstacle for some however an index finger pointing works quite well.

Lack of A/c may also put people off.

Also considerably cheaper than the shopping mall type food courts.

There are a couple of food courts at the Maharaj Nakorn Hospital during the day.

One is located in a basement level off the main building, the other is located on an upper level outdoor area also off the main building.

Thai language barrier may be an obstacle for some however an index finger pointing works quite well.

Some of the best fried chicken in the Province, is in front of the big 7-11, across from the hospital. If you hate going to the doctor, but like nurses; it's worth a visit.

This Thain man does the kow mahn gai for 35 THB....and does a booming business by CMU Steak....Tom Yum Gai with chicken cut right off the bird, too.

post-227967-0-50320400-1446638811_thumb.

Certainly you are joking.

Certainly not, ailing mother-in-law was at the hospital for a week, so we did a great proportion of the bedside vigil, and became quite familiar with the place.

The hospital would have to have one the largest concentration of Thai workers in Chiang Mai and people still need to eat.

Admittedly, not the place to go for a romantic lunch or treating visiting friends but the thread title was Authentic Thai Cheap Eats which fits the bill.

What's the highest priced fast food franchise in America? What fast food franchise just had an extensive E.coli outbreak? Maybe high prices don't really buy you protection from carelessness.

Keep on being terrible at statistics. Terribly bad post. I want you to take some time and explain why your post is abysmal. You can pm me if you want.

What's the highest priced fast food franchise in America? What fast food franchise just had an extensive E.coli outbreak? Maybe high prices don't really buy you protection from carelessness.

Keep on being terrible at statistics. Terribly bad post. I want you to take some time and explain why your post is abysmal. You can pm me if you want.

There were no statistics given. It was a response to the usual comments about paying more giving you protection. Paying more usually just pays their high rent. The story I mentioned has been all over the English speaking news. Some one, who hails from the land of Michael Jackson and the State that made "corn-hole" a verb, really shouldn't be judging.

There were no statistics given. It was a response to the usual comments about paying more giving you protection. Paying more usually just pays their high rent. The story I mentioned has been all over the English speaking news. Some one, who hails from the land of Michael Jackson and the State that made "corn-hole" a verb, really shouldn't be judging.

So, you mean there is no difference between a place that actually pays a rent, has a sink, and a bathroom and say, a place on the side of the road? I realize you think that unless the relationship is completely deterministic, one might as well not take any precautionary actions on deciding where to eat. But ya, go ahead and make fun of me because you don't like the country I am from. Let me know how you like using your iPhone, searching on Google, communicating with friends on facebook, using your laptop powered by an intel chip, drinking your Coke, eating your Pringles, taking your Tylenol, and walking around in your Nikes. So... Where are you from?

Certainly not, ailing mother-in-law was at the hospital for a week, so we did a great proportion of the bedside vigil, and became quite familiar with the place.

The hospital would have to have one the largest concentration of Thai workers in Chiang Mai and people still need to eat.

Admittedly, not the place to go for a romantic lunch or treating visiting friends but the thread title was Authentic Thai Cheap Eats which fits the bill.

Food served in, or around hospitals the world over is notoriously bad. ANd who would want to go where sick people are located...to eat???blink.png

Sometimes you pay a bit more and get more, after my recent prom. Imm. "experience" I bought a couple of items from the Thai food place directly in front of the Rimping mkt. doors. Many choices, all look bright and fresh, as I had just been stressed a bit I opted for comfort food. Gang phet and the slimy squishy delishy green egplant (makua) fried with ground pork and basil leaves... to go, in the bag. 55baht per item and well worth it. Larger portions and more complex flavors than your usual 30 baht kau gang place.