Visiting Advice Appreciated...

Cinders

I was wondering if someone could be so kind to take 5 minutes just to offer me some advice....

I'm coming over to Thailand at the start of may for 3 weeks as a much needed break away from England. I need a break away from the mundan 9-5 office job, and all the crap that comes with capitalism... (i won't go on, otherwise i'll never stop - anyway after 7 years of working 9-5 job, the rat race, being invaded with advertising left right and centre, buy this, buy that, get a bigger house, tv, car, look like this, etc. etc. - i've decided this life ain't for me, but thats another story!...)

Now I'm planning on touring South East Asia next year once I've sold my house, so that way I can just land in Bangkok and go and see places at my own pace, I'll have all the time in the world... but this time I've only got 3 weeks so I'd like to plan out roughly what I'm doing.

I've been to Chiang Mai twice now, my best friend lives there with his wife, so I'm going to Bangkok, spending three nights there (want to do some site seeing in bangkok), then off to chiang mai for to see my friend, then we're doing a 3-day jungle trek, then I want to fly down south to see either phuket or some of the islands (Ko Sumai etc.)

I know I'm just another site-seeing farang but I'm after some advice of what's worth visiting in Bangkok during my 3 days (last time i was there, I never saw the day much.... never again!)

Also, where's best down South? I wanted to spend my last week chilling out reading books on a beach, swimming in the sea etc.

Any advice or people's opinions will be gratefully recieved!.... It's mainly what to see around Bangkok and what offers the most down in Southern Thailand.

I'm doing this holiday on a budget as well.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt.

things to see in bangkok, daytime

a long boat trip around the klongs.

the grand palace.

temples etc

things to see in bangkok, night time.

nana

eden club soi 7.1 (highly recommended)

seriously i don't know bangkok that well but the boat trip and the grand palace, emerald buddha is a must see.

if you want a nice relaxing time on the beach try koh chang its beautiful

i live in pattaya which is great. (don't listen to what other people say about it)

:o

The best in the south

If you want excitment and nite life you can't go wrong with Phuket.

If you are looking to lay on the beach rest. Krabi would be a better choice.

either way you can't go wrong.

phuket is ok, patong is a small pattaya but not as good.

never been to krabi but i hear its better then samui & phuket.

phi phi island is lovely, but the down side is its full of back packers,

and be careful theres 2 new gay guys from england looking for an energetic older man.

:D:D:o

Krabi or Phuket are just at the beginning of the real South Thailand. and full with tourists.....

I recommend you to go further down to South.....

Try it out in Songkhla ..... I am sure, you will like it there.... Now most visitors from Singapore and Malaysia stay in Hadyai and Songkhla is just a day-trip for them.

I recommend you to stay in Songkhla and visit Hadyai as a day-trip. It is my favorite place since 30 years in Thailand.

Johann

You might want to think before going too far south at the moment. Check out the terrorist reports. If your not a worrier then go ....... but be aware!

Trang province is nice and can easily get to most places in the south from there, islands etc

Apart from that the central province of kanchanaburi is nice too. trecking, mountains, jungle, lakes and rivers.

Too many other places to list but i'm sure other members will suggest places.

Have fun :o

You might want to think before going too far south at the moment. Check out the terrorist reports. If your not a worrier then  go ....... but be aware!

Songkhla is a very nice place... no need to worry, Samila Beach is very clean and developed, plenty of people there and plenty of accomodation of any kind....

Visitors are mostly from Singapore and Malaysia - Chinese and Malay people entering that area over the weekend...

Visit Kukut bird sanctuary, Koh Yoo Island and Culture Museum.....lighthouse, many wats and mosques .....you will be busy around all day and not regret that trip. Friendly and nothing to worry about.

It is my favorite place since almost 30 years, and all of my family members have been there for vacation. Very easy from Hadyai, plenty of buses, minibus, tuk-tuk all the day around.

Hadyai is one of the biggest cities in Thailand, and the most important connection point into Malaysia. Everything available if you need urgent help....like hospitals, international airport, department stores, quick departure into Malaysia to Penang.

-----

About Muslim areas:

No need from Songkhla on to continue to the South on the East side and to enter the Muslim provinces .... like Pattani, Narathiwat, Yala.

If you like to continue to the Muslim Southern provinces and to explore that area, I recommend you not to go alone -

If you like some adventure feelings, go first to the Hadyai railway station, on the left opposite site are some Muslim coffee-shops, and Thai Muslim taxi drivers from the neighbouring provinces always stop there...ask there for a Thai Muslim man with a car (a VERY old American or Japanese car, full with Islamic labels and stickers) to drive you around for 2 days and to show you the Buddhist caves, the mosques, the fisherman villages, the plantages in that area....and ask him to help you to take some pictures with the local Muslims....Expect something, which is not really Thailand....

Johann

Why sell your house ?? You should think this over very very seriously before doing something like that. You'll end up with nothing

Bangkok klongs are good. You can get your own boat from the walkway along the river at the park at the end of Pra Athit road Banglampoo. It is about 600 baht for an hour or so...they will ask if you want to go to a snake farm along the way. Just say no. But the klong trip is 1 hour and well worth it. Sit at the front of the boat and be prepared to get small splashes of water from the river or klong. Hard to get good picks but you might be able to ask the guy to stop at times for picks. If he goes to fast just tell him 'cha cha noi na kup' ....means go slowly please.

Gradn palace is worht a look. Also around behind it is Wat Pho with the huge reclining buddha. Another Wat worth visitng would be Wat Traimit......it has a three metre solid gold Buddha. Interesting story about it as well.

Have a look at Vinmanmek Mansio as well. An old fully teak building which was once a place up country. No nails or anything like that. Well worth a look. As is Jim Thompsons house. It is close to MBK shopping centre. It has a good cafe so you can rest your weary legs.

It's alo really easy to get out of Bangkok for a one day visit to some places like Ayuthaya. It is an old captial of Thailand before being scacked by the Burmese. Some nice old Wats and ruins. Go up by road (about 1-2 hours max) and come back by boat to Bangkok. Really nice and relaxing trip back.

Kanchanaburi can easily be done in a day but two days one night is best.

Just been looking at the weather forecasts for when I'm over and I think Phuket and around that area is off the cards due to the heavy down pours....

I was thinking of heading to Surat Thani (whats that place like?!?....)

and then on to Ko Sumuai (whats Ko Samuai like?....)

I've heard these places are very hot in May with little downpour.....

What do you guys think?

Matt.

Surat Thani is more of a staging post to Samui by boat and connections south by coach - not really a destination.

Hat Yai is fine, I lived there for over a year, very big in rubber, not too many farang but IMHO there are are better holiday destinations - Rayleigh for example - although not been there for a few years, great mountain / lagoon to explore.

I spent a few days at Khao Sok National park, can't reccomend it highly enough, trekking through the jungle, Indiana Jones caving, elephant riding and monkey touching. Peaceful and relaxing - especially if you partake in the Boom Boom Chakka.

Phuket is a doozey and always a good laugh.

Good luck!

Just been looking at the weather forecasts for when I'm over and I think Phuket and around that area is off the cards due to the heavy down pours....

I was thinking of heading to Surat Thani (whats that place like?!?....)

and then on to Ko Sumuai (whats Ko Samuai like?....)

I've heard these places are very hot in May with little downpour.....

What do you guys think?

Matt.

I recommend you to forget Surat Thani, better head for Chumphon.....had a lot of good experiences in that area.....

Yes if you are suddenly in heavy rain on the West side, it is easy to change to the East coast...

I did that several times between Penang and Songkhla....

Hadyai - I do not recommend to stay in Hadyai.... better stay in Songkhla, and visit Hadyai on a half-day trip..... plenty of bus services between these two cities...

Johann