What are my chances?

About to return to Thailand soon. Thinking of trying for a Non immigrant O visa. If I can hand over our child's Thai birth certificate plus proof of funds and my partners (not married) UK ILR visa (probably the best proof we have that we live together), do you all reckon that that will be enough to grant a 'Non Immigrant O'?

Have used the back to back tourist visa rout before but that is not really the right category for me anymore.

Any sound advice appreciated.....

Are you asking about getting a single or multiple entry non-o visa? Where do you plan on applying for it?

Dependent on where you apply for a multiple entry visa you will need to be the legal father of your child by way of legitimization of your parenthood.

Will be applying for multiple entry, at Thai consular Queen's Gate, London UK.

My name is in the Father box on the birth certificate.

Sorry but a name on the birth certificate does not make you the legal farther.

Only by being married to the childs Mother or by securing legitimisation via the Thai court system can legal parental status be secured.

Edited by nowretired

I've just received a single entry non o in vientane with just a copy of my sons birth certificate, Thai passport and a Thai bank book with 200+k, no taliban as he was born in the UK, I was married to his mother at the time of birth but I haven't got a clue what it says on his Thai birth certificate so don't know if it says that we were married at the time of his birth.

• Like 1

I've just received a single entry non o in vientane with just a copy of my sons birth certificate, Thai passport and a Thai bank book with 200+k, no taliban as he was born in the UK, I was married to his mother at the time of birth but I haven't got a clue what it says on his Thai birth certificate so don't know if it says that we were married at the time of his birth.

The birth certificate does not and should not detail the marital status of the mother at time of birthgiving. If would take a very crazed civil servant to put anything but your name on it. All what matter is your marriage certificate pre-dating birth, and no records proving divorce within a number of months before it.

Edited by paz

Come to think of it, why do they (attempt) to translate your name into Thai on the birth certificate, wouldn't that just cause confusion? Why not just write your name as printed in the passport?

They can't do that, just as your country would not use any writing but English (Latin) script for writing on official documents.

The birth certificate does not and should not detail the marital status of the mother at time of birthgiving. If would take a very crazed civil servant to put anything but your name on it. All what matter is your marriage certificate pre-dating birth, and no records proving divorce within a number of months before it.

Not strictly true, because if you marry after the birth, the child is legitimized as well.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I won't speculate for much longer. Going to the consulate this week with all the documents I have to get the answer 'straight from the horse's mouth'.

It does seem to vary a bit and depends on the office you go to and the 'officer' you apply with. I got one with just the birtrh certicate and a bit of back up like photos etc, however the "officer" knew me from multiple tourist visa apps. He said they normally require a Yellow Book proof of address with the Birth Certificate, which I did not have and he let it go. I got one year.

It is not usually necessary to be the legal father, however its good to have. Anything is good to have but the Birth Cert and Yellow Book are usually essential. Otherwise get a single entry 3 month family visit or tourist visa, get your Yellow House Book entry when you're here and get the Non O, multiple entry in Savanakhet at the end of that. In fact in Vientiane they were not perticularly interested in my legal fatherhood status. It wasn't on the required document list.

Its more for more complex issues like custody and travelling for the child.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I won't speculate for much longer. Going to the consulate this week with all the documents I have to get the answer 'straight from the horse's mouth'.

No funds required in Savanakhet either, or anywhere else just the fee.

It does seem to vary a bit and depends on the office you go to and the 'officer' you apply with. I got one with just the birtrh certicate and a bit of back up like photos etc, however the "officer" knew me from multiple tourist visa apps. He said they normally require a Yellow Book proof of address with the Birth Certificate, which I did not have and he let it go. I got one year.

It is not usually necessary to be the legal father, however its good to have. Anything is good to have but the Birth Cert and Yellow Book are usually essential. Otherwise get a single entry 3 month family visit or tourist visa, get your Yellow House Book entry when you're here and get the Non O, multiple entry in Savanakhet at the end of that. In fact in Vientiane they were not perticularly interested in my legal fatherhood status. It wasn't on the required document list.

They were not asking for your yellow book if you have one. They wanted a copy of you child's blue house book registry.

They don't ask for legitimization documents to get a single entry non-o.

Legitimization will be required in Savannakhet to get a multiple entry non-o. The only successful applications based upon being the parent of a Thai there I know of was when the entire family was present for the application to prove they were living together as a family (de facto marriage).

• Like 1

They were not asking for your yellow book if you have one. They wanted a copy of you child's blue house book registry.

They don't ask for legitimization documents to get a single entry non-o.

Legitimization will be required in Savannakhet to get a multiple entry non-o. The only successful applications based upon being the parent of a Thai there I know of was when the entire family was present for the application to prove they were living together as a family (de facto marriage).

In which case, I will most likely take the whole family, at least mother and two children. Not sure if I can get the son out of the monkhood. Yes, with everybody's Blue books, my yellow book, legal father papers and birth certificate.