Pedestrian killed by car driven by 17 year old in South Pattaya

webfact

Pedestrian killed by car driven by 17 year old in South Pattaya

road-4.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A car, driven by a 17 year old unlicensed driver, hit and killed a pedestrian in South Pattaya in the early hours of Sunday.

The crash occurred at the South Pattaya intersection with the Sukhumvit Road and left the pedestrian, named as Khun Namfon, dead on the street. The driver of the black Toyota Yaris that hit the victim, was being driven by a 17 year old boy and there were two other female passengers in the car aged 17 and 18.

Apart from the drivers’ school bag, there was also cigarettes and two half-empty bottles of Whisky in the car. It was not made clear if the driver was breath-tested by Police or not.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/213238/pedestrian-killed-by-car-driven-by-17-year-old-in-south-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-08-24

Last week 10-20 people killed by the Bangkok bombing.

Yet 400 people killed weekly on the roads.

The bombing could not have been prevented.

Yet what puzzles me is why so much attention has been drawn to the bombing, yet little attention is drawn to the weekly carnage on the roads which could be prevented.

In a country where 10 years old ride a motorcycle, with 2-3 other boys with him, no wonder that

people killed in this way, do the police even care? like a blind in a dark room, no see, no hear,

not know....

Only last evening I was talking to the Mrs. on the phone (she's away at the moment) and I was telling her that I took a stroll along Jomtien Beach at around 17.30 hrs. All along the footpath and under the trees were hundreds of people drinking beer and listening to music from their pick-ups and having picnics (a regular occurrence at a lot of beaches on a Sunday, a lot come from BKK to get a break. On my way back they were all finishing up and packing their stuff away. I said to her that after dark on a Sunday must be the worst time to go for a drive in Thailand.

RIP. to the deceased

A 17 year-old school kid in a souped up Yaris. I wonder how old he was when the doting parents gave him his first motorbike? Probably about the same time as dad got the new BMW or mum got her new Lexus.

What's the odds on a paltry donation towards the next of kin of the deceased with more significant monies for the cops welfare fund and it will all be forgotten.

Under aged drivers and uninsured drivers seem to be the norm in Thailand as well as unlicensed drivers.

Several years ago my wife was stopped at a red light and was hit by an older pickup driven by an unlicensed and uninsured driver. He immediately took the police aside and a 10000 THB tea money contribution suddenly made my wife at fault even though she was struck in the rear (she must have backed into him). She struck her head and was unconscious for about 2-3 minutes. Now she has Parkinsons as a result. Her mother who was with her wound up with a broken clavacle bone. Fortunately we carry top end insurance but how does one compensate for her Parkinsons?

The police need to start doing their job all month instead of at the end and beginning of each month.

Edited by PilotEd

Thailand has its own laws and as much as we don't like to see innocent people die we cannot change there laws drink driving happens all over the world no way to stop it my philosophy is sit back and chill out if I die today ok if I wake up tomorrow ok.

Rip to the pedestrian.

This is yet one more example of the increasing lawlessness of Pattaya city.

Only somewhat correct. I would say the lawlessness of Thailand in general. The lack of law and order here is astonishing. I wonder how many other countries have such incompetent police, who are so poorly trained, equipped and paid. (It is no wonder they have not solved the Bangkok bombing case yet.) The fact that this kid may not have been subjected to a breathalyzer at the scene of the accident leaves one in wonder and awe. How many countries would allow that to happen? Two open bottles of whisky? Most drivers here are so poorly trained when it comes to driving skills. Most drivers here, are so unaware of the consequences of their speed, recklessness or apathy, on either themselves, their passengers, or the people they mow down so frequently. And the fact that the authorities are not taking this kind of behavior seriously, says alot about the government, safety standards, or lack thereof. Since we cannot count on an effective judiciary to create and sustain a deterrent, it is an alarming situation indeed. My situational awareness on the roads here is very high, as I am aware of the danger involved in getting into a car, or onto a motorbike, both of which I drive here.

Thankfully, I have left Koh Samui behind, as that island had the highest fatality ratio per capita of anyplace in Thailand, and maybe the entire world. People there died every day on the road, and most of it was unnecessary, and avoidable. There was no law enforcement, whatsoever on Samui. Absolute mayhem on the roads. I have never in my life witnessed such careless driving, and nobody did anything. Not the mayor Jaikwong Ramnate, not the governor, not the army, not the police. Nobody cares.

Edited by spidermike007

It is not clear if he was breath tested, why? Should it not be the first thing to do?

Witnessed an accident last week. Car hit a bike.

Driver of the car was absolutely wasted, it was just so obvious.

Took about 20 mins for police to arrive.

Another hour for insurance agent

Then hour or so of talking

On about 4th hour, police decided to breath test the driver.

By then he sobored up pretty well.

I am guessing it might be deliberate , because of driver is drunk , insurance is void.

If not, insurance pays the victim.

But only a guess as I can not see any logic in not testing on the spot and waiting for hours

Come on police and start doing some work instead of sitting in noodle shops drinking beer

I worry about all the guys sitting all day in shops as security. Must be 10's of thousands them nationwide. They sit in a comfortable chair in an aircon area if available, 6 or 7 days a week, with their salary presumably being paid by Bangkok out of an allocation to pay all these 150,000 or more police (that figure from the Sig handgun customer list.

So these guys are all charged out with monthly timesheets to the retailer and the money invoiced directly to the shops in an orderly and accountable manner by Bangkok head office so the money can come back to the wages pool. Yeah right.

With the number of police on security duty as described above, plus those collecting monthly operating permit subscriptions from retailers, those off operating other businesses while they punch each others' time cards, and those selling tickets to the police ball on roadside vehicle stops. Sometimes I marvel that they get any policing done at all. I wonder how many baht it takes to create the oversight that fails to breath test a 17y.o. drive who just killed a pedestrian.

It is a sad commentary. I am afraid to go out at night in Kalasin, half the people are drunk, driving on the wrong side of the highway or road and many with no lights at all.

I used to wonder why Thais drive so fast, I think it is because they are all late.

deleted post

I believe it is quite the contrary. I am amazed at how well the Thai people do, despite the nearly total lack of law and order, and government support. In most other nations, it would be absolute mayhem. A daily purge. In the US people would be out rampaging, pillaging, raping, and murdering. The fact that there is a relatively low amount of crime here, is testament to the Thai spirit, and the fact that they are relatively honest and peaceful people. Most people know, if they do something very bad here, there is little chance that they will be badly punished, as this country seems to have some of the weakest and most ineffective judges anywhere in the world. At least, that is the way I see it.

I think you see it pretty good, the Thais have to be good drivers given the conditions they have.

Perhaps. Probably most have decent skills. I guess it is the young ones, and the incredibly reckless ones, that give Thai drivers a bad name, in general. The primary issue for me, is that even the ones with great skills, seem to take alot of unnecessary risks. When I am at an intersection, or about to enter onto a fast highway, I really look hard for oncoming traffic, and if I see that there is one car coming, and nobody behind him, I wait. It is simply not worth taking the chance, right? Alot of Thais do not seem to think like this. I am always amazed, when I see someone cut in front of me, while I am traveling at high speeds, and look in my rearview, and notice that there is not a car for a long distance. Why did that driver not take that into account? Why didn't he say to himself, it is not worth the risk, and in one additional second, the highway will be completely clear, so why cut in front of this guy who is doing 100 km. per hour? Why put my safety at risk, that of my family, and that of the people in the other vehicle? Is this something we were taught in the west, and it is simply not something being taught here, by either the parents, or the driving instructors? I believe we refer to it as common courtesy, protecting ones life and limb. Oh, and also common sense and reason. I sometimes forget where I am. I love the Thai people. But those last two qualities are not something I see alot of here. LOL.

Edited by petercool

Other than obscure name, there is no information at all about the victim. This is very sad - a life stamped out in godawful circumstances, and we know nothing about her. If my interest sounds a little ghoulish, it's only because she is not just a statistic. We need to know her as a real person in order to bring some perspective to this hideous and deeply saddening incident. Certainly the driver needs to be made fully aware of the suffering he has caused by making the victim a real person, not just a white sheet on the road with an arm sticking out of it.

RIP, Namfon.

Only last evening I was talking to the Mrs. on the phone (she's away at the moment) and I was telling her that I took a stroll along Jomtien Beach at around 17.30 hrs. All along the footpath and under the trees were hundreds of people drinking beer and listening to music from their pick-ups and having picnics (a regular occurrence at a lot of beaches on a Sunday, a lot come from BKK to get a break. On my way back they were all finishing up and packing their stuff away. I said to her that after dark on a Sunday must be the worst time to go for a drive in Thailand.

RIP. to the deceased

Having driven in the Kingdom since 1990, I have noticed this pattern. Of course Songkran and other holidays are more dangerous than others, but for some reason Sunday night seems to also be more dangerous than others. I have no stats or scientific evidence. Correlation is not causation.

But last night I was driving from Thonburi into the city, coming home and it was about 9 pm. I could not count the number of nutters on motorcycles, cars with no lights racing, insane lane changes and an overall insanity that caused she and I to comment to ourselves. More than a few times I swerved to avoid or slowed to stay away from a nutter.

I should also add that the best advice I ever got from another expat was given to me back in 1991 when I was ranting to him about something. "why do they do it that way?" was the gist of my question. His reply was - There are 2 kinds of expats, and some stay and some leave. But the 2 types are those who see the craziness whether it is construction, police, or relationships and after processing the anger say to themselves "mmm isn't it interesting how they think differently."

At the end of the day, it all either becomes part of the charm or it does not. If it does not, the expat winds up miserable, hating, and finding fault wherever the mind can. The expat who looks at it and acknowledges it for what it is, and is mindful of difference and his expectations, has the potential to be happy and accepting. There are miserable expats and happy ones. In my opinion, this is the key.

Except, Minnehaha, if a speed-crazed, reckless driver wrecks a friend of yours. Not such a comfortable thought, is it?

Since this is a Pattaya News Clipping . . . I live on the Darkside, Nern Pub Wan. In late evening, it's like a race track, with teenaged kids nearly doubling the speed of other drivers. Last night, sitting on my bar patio perch, a group off six motos with 2 or 3 kids on each blasted up and down Nern Pub Wan, destined to kill someone or themselves. Even after 5 straight years here, it's shocking the disregard they have for others on the road and equally shocking the disregard they have for their own lives. The police roll merrily along to the station near this bar/restaurant, never ever stopping anyone as speedsters blast right by them, old and young alike. Well, there's nothing to do. Except I fear for my life every day I get on my moto. I've had enough. I'd rather drive in Bangkok where there seems to be some semblance of motoring behaviour. But I won't need a moto there so I will sell mine soon.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Last week 10-20 people killed by the Bangkok bombing.

Yet 400 people killed weekly on the roads.

The bombing could not have been prevented.

Yet what puzzles me is why so much attention has been drawn to the bombing, yet little attention is drawn to the weekly carnage on the roads which could be prevented.

This is worldwide, day in day out hundreds die due to the lack of basic medical care, food and sanitation, endless innocent deaths from pointless conflicts based on religious fanatical indoctrination...................all easily preventable but we meekly accept this as being the norm.

However a bomb blast, a tsunami. a reactor explosion, a plane crash, a 9/11 etc etc we are gushing with grief and messages of condolence.

Really we should be immersed in disbelief as how shallow we are as a human race and although stunning advances have been made in technology, how far have we evolved as a balanced society?

It is not clear if he was breath tested, why? Should it not be the first thing to do?

Witnessed an accident last week. Car hit a bike.

Driver of the car was absolutely wasted, it was just so obvious.

Took about 20 mins for police to arrive.

Another hour for insurance agent

Then hour or so of talking

On about 4th hour, police decided to breath test the driver.

By then he sobored up pretty well.

I am guessing it might be deliberate , because of driver is drunk , insurance is void.

If not, insurance pays the victim.

But only a guess as I can not see any logic in not testing on the spot and waiting for hours

they had to find out who is family is and 'things needed to get sorted out'. that includes the identity of the passengers.

how do you know he was obviously wasted? I read there were 2 half full bottles of whisky. hell, you might have drank them, or the girls.

how do you even know he was driving? what if it was one of the girls driving and she was 15 and she called her boyfriend who jumped in. what if there were other cars / friends involved and it was a race game, or something. the possibilities are endless.

Thailand has its own laws and as much as we don't like to see innocent people die we cannot change there laws drink driving happens all over the world no way to stop it my philosophy is sit back and chill out if I die today ok if I wake up tomorrow ok.

Many of the laws needed are in place, traffic laws are similar to the uk apart from a few obscure or illogical ones,

enforcement is the problem, the so called police here seem not to be in the business of law enforcement.

RIP. to the deceased

Quite interesting that you share your conversations with your wife here on TV.

BTW. you forgot to mention where your wife i located at the moment :-)

At 13yrs old i got caught in the uk for riding a motorbike under age...or rather a friend got caught and told all the names of kids who had a go on it,

End result for me was a 2 pound fine, 1 endorsement on the licence i was,nt old enough for which would last for 3 years ending some months after receiving my licence at 16 and 3 months in the pokey (first offence) it was deemed very serious and after experiencing those long 3 months something i did,nt want to try again,

Here driving under age just seems to be the accepted norm.

Edited by tingtongfarang