Foreigner robbed and beaten on Asoke Montri in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another somewhat disappointing news article that does not provide us with the answers to the most obvious of questions.

Tell us, in your own words, Mr. Beaten Up Foreigner, what happened exactly??

What....no one thought to ask or forgot to print what the victim had to say about what happened to him.

If, let us say...he was entertaining the possibility of going with a Lady Boy, which there is a known abundance of at those hours of the evening and early morning in that particular area, then possibly he may not want to tell the real story...but still you would think he would want to tell the basics of what happened even if he started the problem and someone else or others ended it.

Cheers

I take it,you are talking from experience.

He may have deserved it or he may not. If not, then it's sad. No matter how smiley THai people are, there will always be scum, in every country. I'm well aware of that.

I still want to go for longer.

Please fly to Miami and rent a car at the airport.. Then stop and ask some people how to get to your hotel.

Indeed. One of the great things about living here is how rare these types of muggings are. Unlike London!

Do not confuse non reporting / under reporting of crimes to mean that the crimes do not occur.

The RTP are rather useless and the general population, particularly those who are marginalized or poor, do not usually seek their help. Some foreigners who are in Thailand for a short time, know that there is no point in reporting a crime because the RTP are not going to do anything. Unlike Bangkok, London has monitored, working CCTV and a professional police force. I am far safer in London than I am in Bangkok. If I am mugged in London, 1st responders will be there to help within minutes of a call for help and I will be treated with compassion and respect. I will never be asked for an incentive payment, nor have to show up to point my finger.

Having lived in North London for 20 years, and now in Bangkok for 10 years, I feel far safer here.

But no doubt everyone has different feelings.

Myself I just don't trust people.I always carry something.I figure if I'm going to get some pain others are going to feel pain also.

I don't like going anywhere late at night.I have been coming and living in Thailand since 1971 never A problem.

He may have deserved it or he may not. If not, then it's sad. No matter how smiley THai people are, there will always be scum, in every country. I'm well aware of that.

Please fly to Miami and rent a car at the airport.. Then stop and ask some people how to get to your hotel.

And what's going to happen? :)

Will I get my shit kicked in?

Indeed. One of the great things about living here is how rare these types of muggings are. Unlike London!

Do not confuse non reporting / under reporting of crimes to mean that the crimes do not occur.

The RTP are rather useless and the general population, particularly those who are marginalized or poor, do not usually seek their help. Some foreigners who are in Thailand for a short time, know that there is no point in reporting a crime because the RTP are not going to do anything. Unlike Bangkok, London has monitored, working CCTV and a professional police force. I am far safer in London than I am in Bangkok. If I am mugged in London, 1st responders will be there to help within minutes of a call for help and I will be treated with compassion and respect. I will never be asked for an incentive payment, nor have to show up to point my finger.

That wasn't my friends experience when mugged in London last year, losing her handbag, phone, iPad, etc. No response instigated from CCTV and it was more than a few minutes before police turned up when someone helped and called them. She said they were brisk and professional but very matter of fact.

Several instances in other cities where people were attacked and police response slow. One incident with Wiltshire police, they were slow too respond, we followed the first 999 call with a second. A car finally came and the officers just sat their for ages before meandering out. A colleague and myself who witnessed the crime told them where he'd ran and how to cut him off. The middle aged small police woman simply didn't want to know or do anything.

Yes, UK police forces are better, more professional, better trained and equipped than the RTP; and although corruption does exist in UK forces it's not endemic like the RTP. But they are far from perfect.

All ones own perceptions. I find central Bangkok safer than central London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow or most cities and towns on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.

We flew to LA and rented a car. Three of us. The one driving was a an ex Met Police officer and rugby prop forward, big guy. We got lost around where Rodney King was beaten. Looked o k to us and the people we asked directions were amused by our different accents and friendly enough.

Sometimes you sense it's o k. sometimes you know it's not. But hard to generalize.

That physique can sometiomes be linked to chasing the dragon....which might explain why he is reluctant to involve the po-lice.

OMG,skinny means your a drug addict now,and i thought the Thais where superfical.Back to school junior.

Actually, just the opposite. Walking around looking like you're pregnant-ready-to-drop means you're probably addicted to the most dangerous drug on earth!

It's not called a BEER BELLY for nothing

Once few months ago I've been witness of a robbery in sukumvit 71 when I was going home, two thai guys riding a motorbike stopped near to a women who was walking in the sidewalk near to the road, one of them did snach her neckless and they fled away with the motorbike very quickly.

I was two meters away and I could see it perfectly. The victim was thai too, they were a thai couple. The guy who was with the victim started to shout them and tried to catch them, he started running but he couldn't catch them because they run away faster with the motorbike.

Then the guy stopped one motorbike taxi driver and ask to follow the robbers. I didn't see more but I guess if that guy could reached them it probably would be messy and bloddy too.

Land of Smiles?

Once few months ago I've been witness of a robbery in sukumvit 71 when I was going home, two thai guys riding a motorbike stopped near to a women who was walking in the sidewalk near to the road, one of them did snach her neckless and they fled away with the motorbike very quickly.

I was two meters away and I could see it perfectly. The victim was thai too, they were a thai couple. The guy who was with the victim started to shout them and tried to catch them, he started running but he couldn't catch them because they run away faster with the motorbike.

Then the guy stopped one motorbike taxi driver and ask to follow the robbers. I didn't see more but I guess if that guy could reached them it probably would be messy and bloddy too.

Land of Smiles?

I had an x-gf got her bag snatched about 6 months ago in lat phrao

They got away on a bike also

Weird thing about it was after actually stealing it, they kept the cash obviously but posted the bag back to her parents home in esaan from a post office in ayudaya

Parents posted it back to her in bkk and she got all the worthless stuff back

We assume they read the adress on the id cards etc but so weird to risk posting it back instead of throwing it in some river

its a shame these incidents are happening , my gf was robbed and beaten up quite badly , not so long ago i feel sorry for this guy .I doubt this sort of thing ill do Thailands image any good. lets hope the police step up a fix this problem yet i doubt they will maybe we might get a committee.

I was obviously considered for a mugging as I came out of Bangkok Bank Emporium branch yesterday. I was in there about 30 minutes, came out and headed to the BTS staircase by Benjasiri park carrying a bag with my passport, bank book etc but no cash. As I was walking underneath the stairs to go up I noticed some shifty looking local guy was following me about a metre behind me, I sensed him so I stopped to let him past me. My girlfriend commented that he looked pretty dodgy and I agreed so we waited a few seconds and carried on. He was waiting for me at the bottom of the BTS steps. As I approached he moved out into my path so me and the gf both stopped and just looked at him (we commented/joked later that we both had a defiant/aggressive expression of "well come on then, if you're going to try and rob us then get on with it").

He stared at us a couple of seconds and turned his back and jogged off into Benjasiri Park. Very dodgy, almost certainly waiting outside for someone to leave the bank.

Not sure what happened to this guy on Asoke, but don't assume if you're doing nothing wrong then nothing will happen, especially in the current economic climate.

Why would the desperate not contemplate it when they know they will get little more than a slap on the wrist. It's surprising that it doesn't happen more frequently.

Even the beggars ( ie those who the govt was said to have moved into care some months ago and created a beggar free Bangkok) are cursing non givers these days. Soi 11 a case in point.

It is happening more frequently.

Certainly if you relate it to years ago.

Yeah you've got to watch yourself, it's very easy to follow someone past busy areas and cctv. I'm also surprised myself how it doesnt happen more often, with the amount of people in poverty and availability of weapons. I think it says good things about the thai people that they don't turn to this type of opportune crimes more often. Still a very safe place to live or holiday.

Land of Smiles?

So you expect a huge city to be crime free? Very naive if you do. Bangkok and other Thai towns and cities are no different to other places. People need to get real!

Another somewhat disappointing news article that does not provide us with the answers to the most obvious of questions.

What....no one thought to ask or forgot to print what the victim had to say about what happened to him.

If, let us say...he was entertaining the possibility of going with a Lady Boy, which there is a known abundance of at those hours of the evening and early morning in that particular area, then possibly he may not want to tell the real story...but still you would think he would want to tell the basics of what happened even if he started the problem and someone else or others ended it.

Cheers

Nope...not the case at all.....

and not sorry to disappoint you and your macabre sense of humor or your attempt at witty sarcasm.....lol

I was obviously considered for a mugging as I came out of Bangkok Bank Emporium branch yesterday. I was in there about 30 minutes, came out and headed to the BTS staircase by Benjasiri park carrying a bag with my passport, bank book etc but no cash. As I was walking underneath the stairs to go up I noticed some shifty looking local guy was following me about a metre behind me, I sensed him so I stopped to let him past me. My girlfriend commented that he looked pretty dodgy and I agreed so we waited a few seconds and carried on. He was waiting for me at the bottom of the BTS steps. As I approached he moved out into my path so me and the gf both stopped and just looked at him (we commented/joked later that we both had a defiant/aggressive expression of "well come on then, if you're going to try and rob us then get on with it").

He stared at us a couple of seconds and turned his back and jogged off into Benjasiri Park. Very dodgy, almost certainly waiting outside for someone to leave the bank.

Not sure what happened to this guy on Asoke, but don't assume if you're doing nothing wrong then nothing will happen, especially in the current economic climate.

sure you haven't been watching the godfather too many times ..... whistling.gif

A somewhat similar situation happened in 2006, whereas I was walking with a local when a guy popped out from the shadows near what is now Terminal 21. It looked like he had some sort of small stick or pipe, but it was pretty small. We both looked at him then the object - he just stood there in some sort of stance thinking we'd panic. We looked at him again, then we turned around and walked the other way while looking back to see if he was following. Really weird, kind of surprised panic did not come over me. Thankfully I was with a local.

So yes, there are instances where there's potential for trouble.

Unsure what happened to the young guy, but he's lucky to live through it and make a recovery.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

Cheers

Nope...not the case at all.....

and not sorry to disappoint you and your macabre sense of humor or your attempt at witty sarcasm.....lol

It was not meant to be a joke.

Why would the desperate not contemplate it when they know they will get little more than a slap on the wrist. It's surprising that it doesn't happen more frequently.

Even the beggars ( ie those who the govt was said to have moved into care some months ago and created a beggar free Bangkok) are cursing non givers these days. Soi 11 a case in point.

Similar story to me when I left Atm in prattunam had to run across RD into traffic as dodgy guy tried to pick pocket as I went up stairs of overbridge.

As for Beggars into care I see the beggar in Prattunam market that lies face down and crawls along with a cup is still around been around for years dont know how he survived this long poor man maybe he avoided being taken into care because of his low profile.

He is the worst/saddest case of a beggar I have ever seen.

Did they steal his shirt? Walk around without a shirt on then your going to draw attention to yourself.

Maybe he took it off because its splattered with blood.!

You see 1 picture and your minds made up,,,, "he was asking for it",,,, terrible attitude.

This guy is the victim of robbery and assault, glad to see a decent local person is willing to assist him.

Nice one. whistling.gif I was expecting some smartass comments from the usual TV bellends but expected better than that...Just a warning for people, they can ignore it if they like. I've been full time in BKK 7 years now and that was the first time I've felt like I was being sized up for a robbery. GF felt exactly the same thing. This was 1pm in the afternoon.

For what it is worth, I hear you. I've had the same in Athens a few times, either near the big squares or the metro system. Anyone with even the slightest security awareness knows when something is up because of how something stands out from the prevailing flow of things and those suspicions are easily confirmed by carrying out some test movements and seeing the response to them which would not fit a natural flow. Too many live in a fog. I witnessed the 'post' snatch, grab and run aftermath of other foreigners losing their purses, wallets, bags about 4 times within a week there.

Dressed, or actually 'undressed' such as he is in this photo, is hardly "doing nothing wrong" .. he's a scumbag in the country with zero respect for anything.

Jesus wept. I doubt there is any sarcasm in your post, and you are a genuine t#at, whom i hope i never have the displeasure in meeting. Spewing vitriol from your keyboard and using an offensive and derogotary term such as "scumbag" and "scum" is all too often seen on this forum, in this case because someone looks dishevilled after a beating and robbery. No shirt and a bloody mouth. How would you look after such an incident? Never been beaten up? Thought so. Actually quite surprising, but then you probably don't use the word "scum" in a public place. Now get back to preening yourself in front of the mirror, checking your second shave of the day for stubble, and deciding what to wear for the night ahead. W#nker!

Looks like another low life drunk or druggie

Go back,to your Home Country, Oh, no one

Wants,you there either!!

Not another one! Hey, why don't you add the word "scum" in there too? What is it with you people?

Hey some guy wears a $2000 business suit, no big deal, his life, up to him.

Some guy wears flip flops, camo shorts and a loud 150 baht shirt, no big deal, his life, up to him.

Can people please stop pre judging people on appearances, it makes me puke, oh and generally you don't look your best after a good street robbery/beating, let alone just a simple punch in the mouth...