Bangkok blast probe hindered by broken security cameras

webfact

I researched this for my recent novel, “Presumed Guilty.” The main obstacle in surveillance systems is bandwidth. Surveillance cameras, particularly HD models, generate massive volumes of digital data, which has to be transmitted to a computer system and stored. It’s generally necessary to build a separate network dedicated to the cameras, as they will overload a data network. Police departments are facing a similar challenge with body-cams.

I strongly suspect the problem is not that they don’t have functioning cameras or that they fail to maintain them, not that they require much maintenance unless they are vandalized, but that they don’t have the data network to capture the footage the cameras would generate. So, they rely on the cameras as a psychological deterrent. But such deterrents may not be effective with radical jihadists, separatists or anarchists.

please can you post a link to your novel.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the Peelers on the streets patrolling would deter a terrorist. Sitting in a traffic light control room looking at Facebook is however not much of a deterrent.

In places like London and other UK city centers they have loudspeakers near the cameras so the CCTV operatives can also give warnings, like "pick-up that fag end you dirty raghead terrorist, I've got my beedies on you". They have actually been very effective in cutting street crime and detering malfeasants from illigal parking. Hopefully also detering the local jeehady boys from slipping a few bombs up Cleopateras needle or leaving suitcases in the basement of the Houses of Parliament on November the 5th.

I researched this for my recent novel, “Presumed Guilty.” The main obstacle in surveillance systems is bandwidth. Surveillance cameras, particularly HD models, generate massive volumes of digital data, which has to be transmitted to a computer system and stored. It’s generally necessary to build a separate network dedicated to the cameras, as they will overload a data network. Police departments are facing a similar challenge with body-cams.

I strongly suspect the problem is not that they don’t have functioning cameras or that they fail to maintain them, not that they require much maintenance unless they are vandalized, but that they don’t have the data network to capture the footage the cameras would generate. So, they rely on the cameras as a psychological deterrent. But such deterrents may not be effective with radical jihadists, separatists or anarchists.

They claimed to have installed many thousand of camera. I know downtown Bangkok can sometimes look like a building site, but this job would have entailed massive civil engineering works.

Anyone notice every pavement and major Street in Bangkok being dug up for the last 3 years?

Most of the cameras are dummies.

The police say they have to use their imagination, wow that dont sound to good, not so long ago the BIB said that if you found a dummies or not working camera they would pay 1000 baht, doe's that count for the dummies in blue as well, i guess that was crap.

The police say they have to use their imagination, wow that dont sound to good, not so long ago the BIB said that if you found a dummies or not working camera they would pay 1000 baht, doe's that count for the dummies in blue as well, i guess that was crap.

Christ... Really??

I have taught Thai kids for the past 3 years and getting them to use their imagination leaves them dumbfounded!!!

9 times out of 10 they need to be forcefed the answers so they can copy... Independent, imaginative thought is a concept that they, in my experience, struggle with!

A report that I read a couple of days ago in a National Newspaper, clearly stated that many of the CCTV cameras were fake.....just a carcass installed with no working electronics inside.

If the City paid to have electronics, then there needs to be a largescale Police investigation as to where all the electronics and money has gone.

They claimed to have installed many thousand of camera. I know downtown Bangkok can sometimes look like a building site, but this job would have entailed massive civil engineering works.

Anyone notice every pavement and major Street in Bangkok being dug up for the last 3 years?

Have you not noticed that very few cables are installed underground in Thailand. When sombody wants to install a new cable they just hang it off the existing bundles of cables that visually pollute all of Thailands streets. Still it does enable Thailand to function a lot better than some of its next door neighbours and maybe in the far distant future they will put more cables underground - but I am not holding my breath. However the point is that it is really easy to stick up cameras in Bangkok and run cables anywhere. Also in sensitive locations (555 maybe Soi 4) they can use cameras with built in radio transmitters so the images can be transmitted without any data cables (need some power though). Nevertheless, I am quite prepared to believe that many in Bangkok are dummies - and thats not only the cameras.

If only we had those submarines, everything would be solved by now

If the can't maintain a camera , I fear for the crew of the Submarine

The gulf of Thailand is only 50 metres deep so I hear, they'd be better off getting a dozen pairs of stilts

I researched this for my recent novel, Presumed Guilty. The main obstacle in surveillance systems is bandwidth. Surveillance cameras, particularly HD models, generate massive volumes of digital data, which has to be transmitted to a computer system and stored. Its generally necessary to build a separate network dedicated to the cameras, as they will overload a data network. Police departments are facing a similar challenge with body-cams.

I strongly suspect the problem is not that they dont have functioning cameras or that they fail to maintain them, not that they require much maintenance unless they are vandalized, but that they dont have the data network to capture the footage the cameras would generate. So, they rely on the cameras as a psychological deterrent. But such deterrents may not be effective with radical jihadists, separatists or anarchists.

Have you not noticed that very few cables are installed underground in Thailand. When sombody wants to install a new cable they just hang it off the existing bundles of cables that visually pollute all of Thailands streets. Still it does enable Thailand to function a lot better than some of its next door neighbours and maybe in the far distant future they will put more cables underground - but I am not holding my breath. However the point is that it is really easy to stick up cameras in Bangkok and run cables anywhere. Also in sensitive locations (555 maybe Soi 4) they can use cameras with built in radio transmitters so the images can be transmitted without any data cables (need some power though). Nevertheless, I am quite prepared to believe that many in Bangkok are dummies - and thats not only the cameras.

Bkk has many problems that need to be addressed but proper sewers or drainage systems would need to be installed

They're are many parts of the city that already flood with a shower of rain, bkk is also apparently sinking slowly down to sea level etc

Probably be a knightmare to install cables underground if there is a disaster like some rain or food sellers pouring cooking oil down holes everyday etc

Repairs would be more difficult and a lot more expensive if they had to dig up roads to do it

I researched this for my recent novel, Presumed Guilty. The main obstacle in surveillance systems is bandwidth. Surveillance cameras, particularly HD models, generate massive volumes of digital data, which has to be transmitted to a computer system and stored. Its generally necessary to build a separate network dedicated to the cameras, as they will overload a data network. Police departments are facing a similar challenge with body-cams.

I strongly suspect the problem is not that they dont have functioning cameras or that they fail to maintain them, not that they require much maintenance unless they are vandalized, but that they dont have the data network to capture the footage the cameras would generate. So, they rely on the cameras as a psychological deterrent. But such deterrents may not be effective with radical jihadists, separatists or anarchists.

Bkk has many problems that need to be addressed but proper sewers or drainage systems would need to be installed

They're are many parts of the city that already flood with a shower of rain, bkk is also apparently sinking slowly down to sea level etc

Probably be a knightmare to install cables underground if there is a disaster like some rain or food sellers pouring cooking oil down holes everyday etc

Repairs would be more difficult and a lot more expensive if they had to dig up roads to do it

Well, it would make snipping all the wires quite simple if someone wanted to disable a hundred or so cameras. They could do it just walking down the pavement if they aren't underground.

Anyone remember the snaking power cable along Sukhumvit 33 in the pavement that popped up through the small blocks. Fairly scary.

Above ground wires are old telephones and electrics. But not everything is above ground.