Stock Market CRASH Thread....Are we all doomed?

I continue to maintain my asset allocation and keep the long view, as I have done for three decades or so. I see no reason in getting excited or making any conclusions based on short term market gyrations.

good luck!

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what's gonna happen with the gold price since not so long there were several members, also active in this thread, who said the only way gold would go was down.

But I notice that only this month the price has increased by roughly 15%, and when I see price increases of 4% in a single day, I get pretty nervous.

I wonder what's gonna happen with the gold price since not so long there were several members, also active in this thread, who said the only way gold would go was down.

But I notice that only this month the price has increased by roughly 15%, and when I see price increases of 4% in a single day, I get pretty nervous.

" Bullion dealers report record sales as buyers "queue round the block" to purchase the precious metal "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/gold/12151770/Investors-go-bananas-for-gold-bars-as-global-stock-markets-tumble.html

people who lost all are greedy people who have invested in the fast money scheme like Twitter and face book.

diversify is the key of the prudent investor. my goal is to keep my investment until I retire.

no need to freak out!

Of course if one had purchased Facebook at or around its IPO price and continued to hold it, they would be looking pretty wise right about now.

Gold is always the nearest port in a storm.

Is it just high winds or are we in for a tornado?

people who lost all are greedy people who have invested in the fast money scheme like Twitter and face book.

diversify is the key of the prudent investor. my goal is to keep my investment until I retire.

no need to freak out!

Of course if one had purchased Facebook at or around its IPO price and continued to hold it, they would be looking pretty wise right about now.

Of course if one had purchased Enron in December 1999 by August 2000 they would also have thought they were looking pretty wisegiggle.gif

and how about all those Japanese investors who would have felt so good about themselves in 1990 and probably thought just like you

it was a " short term market gyration "sad.png

post-149848-0-75492200-1455455162_thumb.

post-149848-0-18273600-1455455191_thumb.

no need to freak out!

Of course if one had purchased Enron in December 1999 by August 2000 they would also have thought they were looking pretty wisegiggle.gif

and how about all those Japanese investors who would have felt so good about themselves in 1990 and probably thought just like you

So what is your point? Edited by SpokaneAl

no need to freak out!

So what is your point?

what is my point? My point is that whilst I would not invest one dollar in the stock market I would bet anything the world stock markets are at similar point to Japan in 1990 which makes buy and hold nonsensical because you will just see your money evaporate over a slow period of time. and where is future growth going to come from? There was no real growth - it was all based on credit based expansion which has now ended.

I think former White House Budget Director David Stockman explains it very well in this interview..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5exbO-Ros2Q

Edited by Asiantravel

I like triple plays for the long haul. I believe I read just recently that Warren Buffet did just that. I believe he bought stock in an oil company. So he bought the stock for appreciation if oil goes up, he invested in a commodity called oil because the company has a lot of it, and he invested for dividends if he gets any.

He also invested in a mature company with a track record rather than buying some IPO. If I have learned anything it's to invest in companies where I personally like to deal with them, and sit tight unless they prove me wrong. Oh, to be young again and be smart enough to buy Microsoft the first time I saw Windows and to buy WalMart the first time I saw one of their big busy stores. How about Amazon, not as an IPO but rather when it became apparent they would succeed in broadening out from being a book store.

Hindsight would make me rich, LOL. We should be given two lifetimes. One to learn and another to do.

Cheers.

Blah..blah..blah... 19 pages of rich white men taking about how much they know about the stock market...keep your money and advice to yourself.. We know you are not out to give meaningful and useful advice for the greater cause. Mostly just to boost your own egos.

Rant over...FYI..I didn't read the past 18 pages...555

I like triple plays for the long haul. I believe I read just recently that Warren Buffet did just that. I believe he bought stock in an oil company. So he bought the stock for appreciation if oil goes up, he invested in a commodity called oil because the company has a lot of it, and he invested for dividends if he gets any.

He also invested in a mature company with a track record rather than buying some IPO. If I have learned anything it's to invest in companies where I personally like to deal with them, and sit tight unless they prove me wrong. Oh, to be young again and be smart enough to buy Microsoft the first time I saw Windows and to buy WalMart the first time I saw one of their big busy stores. How about Amazon, not as an IPO but rather when it became apparent they would succeed in broadening out from being a book store.

Hindsight would make me rich, LOL. We should be given two lifetimes. One to learn and another to do.

Cheers.

There is a word for the second life you're dreaming about, it's called insider trading.

There are all the time companies starting up that will be worth 100 fold in 10 years, but if you can't select them now you'll also lack that ability in a second life.

no need to freak out!

So what is your point?

what is my point? My point is that whilst I would not invest one dollar in the stock market I would bet anything the world stock markets are at similar point to Japan in 1990 which makes buy and hold nonsensical because you will just see your money evaporate over a slow period of time. and where is future growth going to come from? There was no real growth - it was all based on credit based expansion which has now ended.

I think former White House Budget Director David Stockman explains it very well in this interview..........

So your point is that you know nothing more than the rest of us, other than seemingly trotting out that old chestnut that "this time things are different."

As for me, I fully appreciate that I know nothing going forward and definitely would offer no advice to others.

I do know what has worked for me for the past 35 years or so which is spending less than we earn and investing the difference in a large basket of no load mutual funds; predominately index funds. We have successfully built up a large enough pile to retire in relative comfort and with choices. We have also generated some additional cash flow so that we can ride out market movements. With that in mind, we continue to stay the course and not get overly excited about this short term stuff.

Our homes and cars are paid for with cash and we maintain zero debt.

What have you done?

Edited by SpokaneAl

Ha ha. You accuse me of trotting out an old chestnut that this time things are different but then you yourself justify your actions because " it’s always worked in the past ".giggle.gif I may not know any more than anyone else but there is such a thing as balance of probability.

I absolutely agree with your point concerning a balance of probability. That is why I maintain an asset allocation with additional cash flows from outside the market. That becomes even more important, IMO, as we age and safety becomes as equally as important as growth.

However when you state that you would not invest a penny in the markets because you are convinced that they will follow Japan of the 1990s that is well past any balance of probability theories.

And while you may scoff at my 35 years experience I will say that on a regular basis over those years numbers of people like yourself crop up with absolutely certainty that the end is near. And somehow, after market corrections, which are as regular as clockwork, things struggle on.

I do wish you the best of luck in whatever works for you.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Ha ha. You accuse me of trotting out an old chestnut that this time things are different but then you yourself justify your actions because " it’s always worked in the past ".giggle.gif I may not know any more than anyone else but there is such a thing as balance of probability.

I absolutely agree with your point concerning a balance of probability. That is why I maintain an asset allocation with additional cash flows from outside the market. That becomes even more important, IMO, as we age and safety becomes as equally as important as growth.

However when you state that you would not invest a penny in the markets because you are convinced that they will follow Japan of the 1990s that is well past any balance of probability theories.

And while you may scoff at my 35 years experience I will say that on a regular basis over those years numbers of people like yourself crop up with absolutely certainty that the end is near. And somehow, after market corrections, which are as regular as clockwork, things struggle on.

I do wish you the best of luck in whatever works for you.

ah well time will tell won't it? tongue.png

But when you say people like me have cropped up on a regular basis over the last 35 years, global governments have never been in so much debt simultaneously ever before in history and employment prospects have never looked so bleak (With technology and artificial intelligence threatening to take more and more jobs from humans as each year will go by - just look at youth unemployment rates around the world ).

anyway good luck to you as well smile.png

Edited by Asiantravel