Converting retirement 90-day to 1 year timing question

I've applied (inside Thailand) for a retirement visa. There was a 14-day wait and I was issued a 90 day visa. I am supposed to return in October to change the 90 day visa into a 1 year visa (or something to that effect).

Is there another 14 day waiting period when I return in October? Or will they do the conversion in one day?

Problem is, I travel A LOT and I will need to leave the country less than 14 days after the time I can apply and I will not be able to return within the time window. In other words I can be here during that time window, but I will not be able to stay 14 days.)

Any advice?

(I will be sure to get a re-entry permit.)

Think you will find you obtained a non imm O based on retirement. In the last 30 days you will apply for a 12 month extension. Every year from then on you will continue to apply for 12 month extensions.

Yes you will need a reentry permit. I believe you can do this when your at immigration or like I did several days ago......just do it at the airport. Breeze.

If your using bank deposit as proof of income make sure it does not fall below 800k. Check other threads for what you need to bring along for your extension. Such as proof of where you live, bank letter etc

Yes I know that I apply in the last 30 days, but I can only be here for about a week during that period. Good to know that it will be issued on the spot.

I applied based on income, so I only used the letter from the embassy. It will never be anywhere near the minimum. I'm not really retired, nor will I ever retire. I just have a lot of free time because most of my business is outsourced now.

They didn't mention that I needed to bring anything for the extension. Is there something in particular that I should have? I'd only intended to bring my passport back. The woman that helped me said that I needed to keep a copy of the embassy latter and I could use it again when I applied for a new visa in a year. I was surprised to hear that, but she didn't mention any additional requirements for the extension.

By the way, if it matters, I will never need to do a 90 day report as I will never be here for more than 90 days. I applied for this because I want to get 90 day stamps on arrival--that's all.

Edited by moto77

Return anytime within the final 30 days (it might even be 45 days) to apply for the 12 month extension.

It will be issued on the spot.

Is it a 12 month extension? Or a 9 month extension?

I'm hoping it's only 9 added to the original 3, because it would be much more convenient for me to do my annual extensions in July/August than October.

I've applied (inside Thailand) for a retirement visa. There was a 14-day wait and I was issued a 90 day visa. I am supposed to return in October to change the 90 day visa into a 1 year visa (or something to that effect).

Is there another 14 day waiting period when I return in October? Or will they do the conversion in one day?

You applied for a conversion to a non-imm O entry.

You can apply for the extension of stay any time in the last 30 to 45 days of your current permission to stay ... depending on the office. Most office will issue the extension based on retirement either the day you apply or the next day. Some small offices may take longer.

Once you get the extension you'll need a new re-entry permit.

Is it a 12 month extension? Or a 9 month extension?

Assuming your passport is valid for a year or more when you apply for the extension, you'll get one year added onto your current permission to stay. Not negotiable.

They didn't mention that I needed to bring anything for the extension. Is there something in particular that I should have?

You'll need the following each year that you do the extension ... based on my experience at Jomtien, though there may be some variation at different offices.

TM7 filled out, signed and with your phone number added below signature. Print it out on both sides of a single sheet of paper, not on two sheets of paper.

4 x 6 cm recent passport photo

Baht 1900

Passport

Photocopies of:

passport identity page,

all prior extension stamps

original visa you used to enter the country and entry stamp

departure card (TM 6)

All photocopies need to be signed to show you are claiming they are true copies.

Original income affidavit from your embassy less than 6 months old, if you use that method.

Original letter from your bank manager if you are using bank balance as part of your proof of finances. Usually the letter should be issued the day of your application or the day before ... depends on which office you use as to how "fresh" they want it.

Bank book photocopies ... past three months at least and the final balance shown should be EXACTLY equal to what is shown on manager's letter.

Some proof of your address ... they want this from some people, but I've never been asked for it at Jomtien. Different offices have different views on this.

Edited by Suradit69

Thanks.

A couple questions:

So I'll be issued a 1-year that expires in October 2016. Is there any way to eventually get this cycle rolled back to expiring in August (or forward to December)? October will always be difficult.

Will I need proof of address in BKK-Chang Wattana? I usually stay in the executive apartments that are part of certain hotels. What would I use for proof? Utilities (and everything else) are included. There is no lease.

Edited by moto77

Thanks.

A couple questions:

So I'll be issued a 1-year that expires in October 2016. Is there any way to eventually get this cycle rolled back to expiring in August (or forward to December)? October will always be difficult.

Will I need proof of address in BKK-Chang Wattana? I usually stay in the executive apartments that are part of certain hotels. What would I use for proof? Utilities (and everything else) are included. There is no lease.

Yes you can "roll" back the cycle !

You must leave Thailand without a re-entry permit. This will cancel the extension of stay .

Return , at your convenience, and re-start the process timed so as to secure a more agreeable renewal date.