Bangkok bombing dragnet yields 142 unrelated arrests

webfact

Bangkok Bombing Dragnet Yields 142 Unrelated Arrests

By Khaosod English

14404828961440483177l.jpg
A formal ceremony and parade kicked off "Operation Lock Down the City, Raid the Bandits' Nest" on Sunday, two days after it began and a day before it ended. The massive operation failed to net any suspects related to last week's bomb attack, but led to the arrest or detention of 142 people for unrelated offenses.

BANGKOK: -- A formal ceremony and parade kicked off "Operation Lock Down the City, Raid the Bandits' Nest" on Sunday, two days after it began and a day before it ended. The massive operation failed to net any suspects related to last week's bomb attack, but led to the arrest or detention of 142 people for unrelated offenses.

BANGKOK — A massive operation launched by police to find the perpetrator behind last week’s deadly bombing has netted 142 people on unrelated crimes, while the bomber and possible accomplices remain elusive.

On Friday, four days after an explosion at the Erawan Shrine killed 20 people, police announced with much fanfare the beginning of "Operation Lock Down the City, Raid the Bandits' Nests,” with the objective of “X-raying” potential residences that might hold clues leading to the bomber and his possible “network.”

On Sunday, one day before the bombastically named operation ended, a ceremony formally launching its show of force began with a parade of soldiers and police leading out from Royal Plaza in the Dusit district, complete with speeches, mounted cavalry and motorized convoys.

The manhunt kicked off after CCTV footage led investigators to identify a yellow-shirted young man walking into the shrine, which is popular among Thais and foreign tourists alike, where he discreetly set down his backpack and walked away. The bomb detonated several minutes later.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1440482896

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-25

"On Friday, four days after an explosion at the Erawan Shrine killed 20 people, police announced with much fanfare the beginning of "Operation Lock Down the City, Raid the Bandits' Nests,” with the objective of “X-raying” potential residences that might hold clues leading to the bomber and his possible “network.”"

"On Sunday, one day before the bombastically named operation ended, a ceremony formally launching its show of force began with a parade of soldiers and police leading out from Royal Plaza in the Dusit district, complete with speeches, mounted cavalry and motorized convoys."

Lockdown launched 4 days after initial crime - bit late there lads.

X raying potential residences - been watching too many of the bosses' favorite TV cop movies now lads, so go out and do some real work to catch the perp's

Show of force - or show of chest feathers in order to save just a little bit of face on the global scale? What a backfiring move that will turn out to be.

Gonna need more than a few horses, motorbikes and police cars to sort out this mess Boys. Why didn't you wheel out a few photocopiers and show your fingerprinting talc at the same time, then the World may have been really impressed.

Call in Inspector Gadget, he will sort you all out and get your man.

So rather than beating the streets and searching and questioning people they decided it was better to spend millions of baht making a parade of police to make a show that they are trying. Wouldn't that money and time and effort have been put to better use actually investigating or perhaps fixing those broken cameras and putting more to prevent the farce that has happened already?

Edited by thesetat2013

Driving to town today , I took a longer detour to avoid the BIB controlposts , cause I thought they would be on high alert , and being foreigner and potentially worth 3M THB , I would surely be stopped.

But I was wrong , coming back the usual road , I saw nobody at the police posts.

More people in town looked at me , thought I must be having a bad hair day ....but it was as bad as usual , so I guess they were seizing me up for a 3 M payday ?

Maybe the "dragnet " is only around Bangkok....

Harassing the underworld could have it's benefits

In Aus thirty odd years ago the cops came down hard on the underworld after two young cops were set up and executed by shotgun.

The cops immediately disposed of any tolerance of the crooks and shut down their rackets, jailed many, sent the children of underworld figures to welfare homes.

The crack down was successful as the culprits were promptly delivered to the law, and slowly business returned to normal. A necessary strategy employing the vast network of thugs and hoodlums whose eyes are on the street.

Question is of course are the Thais capable of using their vast criminal network the same way?

Edited by Oziex1

wasting time in such shows instead they should try seriously to solve the issue or ask for asistence from foreign experts if they can not do it on their own. no point in arresting people who are probably innocent.

According to the original OP in Khaosod “the targets of “Operation Lock Down the City, Raid the Bandits’ Nests” were described as condominiums, guesthouses, hotels and dormitories that cater foreigners.

According to police reports, a total of 139 people have been arrested, three detained, and 4,615 properties searched by the time the operation ended Monday”. Since the raids/searches were done under the auspices of Section 44, I don't imagine we will be hearing any 'human rights' complaints about the techniques employed.

It is quite obvious that the places that we non-Thais frequent and reside in were the sole target of this grand exercise. I presume that we are all ( foreigners and expats) hereby branded as “ bandits”. Do you think that we will be made wear a large red "B" on our clothes.

Edited by tigermonkey

The initial reports said the bomber had been picked up several times by a motorcycle taxi in the same area...... has every room for rent in the area been checked?

I saw that they checked hotels and guesthouses but nobody could remember him. What is if he was staying in some thai friends home?

The initial reports said the bomber had been picked up several times by a motorcycle taxi in the same area...... has every room for rent in the area been checked?

I saw that they checked hotels and guesthouses but nobody could remember him. What is if he was staying in some thai friends home?

Maybe he's just somchai from down the road and he stays at his own house....