Need to improve my awful Thai matress

GF47

Hello!

So I have a room on Sukhumvit Rd that I love for the month, but unfortunately the bed situation here is not good. I went to the Emporium and found a memory foam mattress, but it cost over 12,000 Baht, so I paid someone to drive me to Tesco and I bought two of those Latex mattresses. I haven't slept on them yet, but they feel just as bad as the original mattress.

Since I am moving around it doesn't make sense for me to invest in a new mattress, and it's becoming clear that any kind of memory foam is not a option. $300 USD for memory foam that I may or may not be able to transport later does not work for me.

Has anyone found a solution to something like this? Should I try folding a comforter and using that as padding? Duct taping some pillows together?

Mattresses here are astoundingly bad and also astoundingly overpriced.

Having bought a Sealy mattress for nearly 20,000B that I didnt get on with I ended up at Ikea where I bought one of these for 6000B and just put it on top of the expensive Thai one.

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/products/60272253/

The end result is fine.

If I was buying another sprung mattress I would just forget all the Thai shops and get one of these:

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/24828/

Where would you get a air bed in central Bangkok? And I guess I'd need a bicycle pump? I'm asking because things like that seem hard to come by around here

Plenty in any of the large malls most have a built in foot pump.

Any mall with a sports shop like most have.

Plenty on Lazada they deliver to your door.

http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Air+bed

Edited by stoneyboy

I bought a natural latex mattress recently real big improvement to my normal one. I sleep a lot better now. The shop is operated by the wife of one of posters on Thaivisa. I must say fast delivery and good communication. I am quite happy, they sell toppers too.

A tip I was once thankful to be given was to try turning the mattress over. The Thai mattresses have a very, very hard side and a hard side. Just turning the thing over made it manageable to live with for a short time like yourself. The other cheap option is they sell the mattress toppers in most Thai shops which give you a little more comfort thumbsup.gif

"Need to improve my awful Thai matress"

I was scanning quickly through topics and read the title as "Need to improve my awful Thai mistress" and thought, wow this should be a most helpful thread.

Of course, I realized my mistake soon after clicking but not before finding this fantastic piece of advice in uksomchai's reply:

"The Thai mistresses have a very, very hard side and a hard side. Just turning the thing over made it manageable to live with for a short time..."

Absolutely true.

Edited by The Dancer

Heh heh...

Yeah I walked over to Big C this evening and saw their fancy "imported from Belgium" toppers. Unfortunately I didn't have time to browse earlier and got the only ones I could find at Tesco which appear to be totally worthless.

The Belgian things appear to be a marginal improvement over what I have, though nowhere near what I'm looking for.

The struggle continues.

Where would you get a air bed in central Bangkok? And I guess I'd need a bicycle pump? I'm asking because things like that seem hard to come by around here

Try looking on line.

We could do it for you, but obviously you have access to a computer, so why should we?

They usually come with an electric air pump.

How much is a good night's sleep worth to you??

Please don't take this as a flame.... BUT, you don't appear to be very imaginative. Outdoor & camping outlets. Online stores. I'd almost venture to say there's nothing you can't buy in BKK if you're serious about it.

I'll give you a hint..... Let Google be your friend.

Cheers..... Mal.

As someone pointed out previously,you can learn to sleep on the floor.

I had back problems when I moved in with my good lady mostly due to a mattress with the consistency of porridge. Instead of buying new we put blankets on the floor and we sleep there.

NO more back problems at all. Im not even sure I could go back to sleeping conventionally.

In the immortal words of Mrs Nik , "up to you!"

Thanks for the input everyone. And to clarify the situation, this is my first time in Thailand, first time in the region, and I've been here 5 days. I haven't ridden the MRT or Skytrain yet, internet is often spotty where I am, and I do suffer from chronic pain issues - but I plan on being in the region for a while so need to learn the ropes.

I mention all this because there will surely be more posts from me that seem silly to someone who has been here a few months or years, though I always try to do my research before posting. The latex mattresses I purchased are not soft, but they are better than the original bedding, so hopefully I'll adapt.

As someone pointed out previously,you can learn to sleep on the floor.

I had back problems when I moved in with my good lady mostly due to a mattress with the consistency of porridge. Instead of buying new we put blankets on the floor and we sleep there.

NO more back problems at all. Im not even sure I could go back to sleeping conventionally.

In the immortal words of Mrs Nik , "up to you!"

What about blanket burn on your knees?

When I was renting, I just asked them to buy a new mattress as the old one had so much crap on it looked like it was 200 years old said I would pay half, even got a Thai to tell them that. You know what they did, they just got another mattress from another room. Finally got what I wanted a new mattress and paid half. For a months rent, just tell them the mattress is hell and that you will contribute say 10% as a sweetener or threaten to move out.

Having bought a Sealy mattress for nearly 20,000B that I didnt get on with I ended up at Ikea where I bought one of these for 6000B and just put it on top of the expensive Thai one.

The end result is fine.

If I was buying another sprung mattress I would just forget all the Thai shops and get one of these:

"If I was buying another sprung mattress ..."

If you were asking for a "sprung" mattress that probably explains the problems you've had.

I bought a Thai mattress and after 10 years still feel no need to replace it.

I doubt you'd be in a position to say "Mattresses here are astoundingly bad and also astoundingly overpriced." based on your personal experience any more than I could say "Mattresses here are excellent" based on my personal experience. Farang love to take an incident or two and immediately blow it up to encompass everything and everyone in Thailand. I've slept, on occasion, on some pretty crappy mattresses back in Farang Land, but didn't immediately generalize my experience to say that farangs are incapable of producing any good mattresses.

Edited by Suradit69

I bought a natural latex mattress recently real big improvement to my normal one. I sleep a lot better now. The shop is operated by the wife of one of posters on Thaivisa. I must say fast delivery and good communication. I am quite happy, they sell toppers too.

But, you don't seem willing to tell us who it is that offers such good mattresses and fast delivery. Why?

But, you don't seem willing to tell us who it is that offers such good mattresses and fast delivery. Why?

Nobody asked and I thought it might be against regulations to post it as the person is not a sponsor.

http://latexinnovations.com/

user Vibe i believe. if you do a search you can see a whole topic on it.

In Britain I have been accustomed to luxury hand made beds , now no longer available . In Thailand I bought a 5ft Backsaver bed at Tesco-Lotus , with sprung base and mattress cushioned on both sides . 5ft was not wide enough for my wife and she was woken every time I turned over . I then bought a 6ft Thai wooden bed with an OK Thai made mattress ; that proved rather hard , so I put two cheap foam mattresses on top . After several years they deteriorated and I wanted to find a single topper matress ; one day at a warehouse shopping centre near Kalasin , I spied acres of foam mattresses of every size . I enquired the price of a kingsize , about BT600 with a cover and BT270 without , I bought one without a cover , it is extremely comfortable , made of some sort of expanded foam not rubber or latex , they must be available somewhere in Bangkok .

The end result is fine.

"If I was buying another sprung mattress ..."

If you were asking for a "sprung" mattress that probably explains the problems you've had.

I had to look it up but "sprung" is jargon for describing a certain kind of mattress: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/spareroom/pocket-sprung-mattress.htm Seems to be a British English term.