New Passport! Transfer visa or not?

I just received my new Passport from my embassy in Bangkok. I was on a Multiple entry-O which has an expiration date of July 22 2015, I entered Thailand in June 2015. My visa is valid until Spetember 24th 2015. Do I need to go to immigration to transfer this entry, although the NON-O is expired already? Or do I just need to show up to the airport/border crossing immigration point on my way out with both passports before Sept 24th 2015? Thank you.

Edited by pluto_manibo

So, although my Multiple O is expired but my last entry still valid, I need some transfer stamp in my new passport ? Thank you, this is all confusing.

You have no stamps which can or will be transferred. Just hand both passports to the IO on the way out !

• Like 2

I was on a Multiple entry-O which has an expiration date of July 22 2015, I entered Thailand in June 2015. My visa is valid until Spetember 24th 2015.

Your visa is not valid until September. Your permission to stay is valid until September.

You hand over both passports when leaving and you'll be stamped out in your new passport.

I just did that a few days ago at the Laos border and got rejected. Had to go back to Udon immigration. I would 100% recommend you transfer

Should only be required if you were here on an extension of stay. Visas are never transferred, but extension of stay stamp would be, as well as notations about the visa you used and your last visa entry. But if you are in the country on a visa entry rather than, for example, an extension of stay based on retirement or marriage, there should be no need to transfer anything and immigrations would refuse your request to do so anyway.

Edited by Suradit69

I was on a Multiple entry-O which has an expiration date of July 22 2015, I entered Thailand in June 2015. My visa is valid until Spetember 24th 2015.

Your visa is not valid until September. Your permission to stay is valid until September.

You hand over both passports when leaving and you'll be stamped out in your new passport.

I just did that a few days ago at the Laos border and got rejected. Had to go back to Udon immigration. I would 100% recommend you transfer

Should only be required if you were here on an extension of stay. Visas are never transferred, but extension of stay stamp would be, as well as notations about the visa you used and your last visa entry. But if you are in the country on a visa entry rather than, for example, an extension of stay based on retirement or marriage, there should be no need to transfer anything and immigrations would refuse your request to do so anyway.

Your right! I did have an extension of stay so that must have been it

Just returned from Immigration and YES they must transfer the information from the old passport to the new one!

Hope they didn't charge you anything for this 'service'..

Visas (issued outside of Thailand) cannot be transferred to a new passport, if you have an extension (issued by your local immigration department) then this must be transferred along with any valid entry/re-entry stamps - they will note the original visa type/issue date as part of that transfer as you can see in the image posted above by Siriam.

• Like 1

I got a new passport (in the days when you could post it to BKK and it went to HK for replacement), and went to the border with both passports and they transferred my visa, then gave me some scissors to clip the corner of the old passport. It wasn't expired, it was just full up and needed more pages. Not sure how it works now, but have been wondering if I can get a new passport when the time comes by post (UK).

I got a new passport (in the days when you could post it to BKK and it went to HK for replacement), and went to the border with both passports and they transferred my visa, then gave me some scissors to clip the corner of the old passport. It wasn't expired, it was just full up and needed more pages. Not sure how it works now, but have been wondering if I can get a new passport when the time comes by post (UK).

If you are living in Thailand then it is no longer possible to get a UK Passport by post now, instead you will have to apply via the UK Home Office appointed agent VFS Trendy in BKK.

The norm is application and collection in person, but currently trendy are allowing third party agents to apply and/or collect on one's behalf.

Edited by digitalchromakey

So, although my Multiple O is expired but my last entry still valid, I need some transfer stamp in my new passport ? Thank you, this is all confusing.

You have no stamps which can or will be transferred. Just hand both passports to the IO on the way out !

Not true. I was on multi non o and had the visa detail transferred and a new 'admitted until' stamp.

The Savarnabhumi stamp was put in by Sri Ratcha immigration. They did not get it quite right, I came in by train from Malaysia, not by air.

post-201813-0-06907900-1440658789_thumb.

Not true. I was on multi non o and had the visa detail transferred and a new 'admitted until' stamp.

The Savarnabhumi stamp was put in by Sri Ratcha immigration. They did not get it quite right, I came in by train from Malaysia, not by air.

attachicon.gifpassport extn 001.jpg

To be pedantic the image you have posted is a note of the visa and current entry stamp details from your old passport, it is not a visa, that was still in your old passport.

All that relates to entering the country not leaving !

To be pedantic the image you have posted is a note of the visa and current entry stamp details from your old passport, it is not a visa, that was still in your old passport.

Where did I say the visa was transferred?

All that relates to entering the country not leaving !

What did this statement relate to? "You have no stamps which can or will be transferred."

• So if you have an extension of stay based on retirement you have to go to Immigration to get it a stamp/ transfer into your new passport ?

Do you need a letter from the UK Embassy to do this or will the Immigration offices just do it ?

Can you go to any Immigration office or do you have to go to where the extension was done ?

Is it a free service and is it done same day ?

Thanks, I'm about to go through the process

1. Yes

2. The letter is required by most immigration offices.

3.The office where the extension was done

4.Free and usually done the same day.

Thank you for the answers. No3, could be an issue as I don't live near the original office where the extension was done. I was hoping to go into my local Immigration office. I only need to do one 90 day report until I have to apply for a new extension in my new passport

This thread shows the irrational attitude of posters. We all know the rules depend on the immigration officer concerned. catch an officer on a bad day and woops it becomes a problem.

The fact that the old passport is no longer recognised by the UK government surely gives a massive clue as to the options available to the Thai immigration. How can a visa in an expired passport have any current value? Of course sometimes you get away with it but being logical suggests bring the new passport upto date and have the visa transferred..............

This thread shows the irrational attitude of posters. We all know the rules depend on the immigration officer concerned. catch an officer on a bad day and woops it becomes a problem.

The fact that the old passport is no longer recognised by the UK government surely gives a massive clue as to the options available to the Thai immigration. How can a visa in an expired passport have any current value? Of course sometimes you get away with it but being logical suggests bring the new passport upto date and have the visa transferred..............

When a UK passport is cancelled by HMPO, only the corners of the front/rear covers are clipped.

The reason is that valid visas on intact pages in the old, cancelled, passport remain usable in conjunction with a new, current passport into which entry stamps related to the still extant visa(s) in the old passport can be entered.

This is a world wide convention, not just a Thai immigration thing..

• Like 1

Just returned from Immigration and YES they must transfer the information from the old passport to the new one!

Going to the immigration office was of course an option. What exactly did they put into your new pasport.