You have 1M Baht cash to buy a "Fun" Car with....

shiroboi

I'm much in the same spot as the OP and have been actively looking for a "toy"... Something with stupid horsepower, light weight, handles like a go kart, easy to wrench on and something I can get parts for... So far I've narrowed it down to the following...

Mitsubishi Lancer or Evo...

Subaru WRX

Mini S or JCW or GP

Bolt-on parts are readily available for all of the above to improve performance, handling and styling, so not re-inventing the wheel...

I'm leaning toward the Mini S R53 because I know my way around the car and have had a couple in the past, so I know what breaks on them... Easy to get 240hp with bolt-on parts and re-chipping, along with suspension parts to tighten it up...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm much in the same spot as the OP and have been actively looking for a "toy"... Something with stupid horsepower, light weight, handles like a go kart, easy to wrench on and something I can get parts for... So far I've narrowed it down to the following...

Mitsubishi Lancer or Evo...

Subaru WRX

Mini S or JCW or GP

Bolt-on parts are readily available for all of the above to improve performance, handling and styling, so not re-inventing the wheel...

I'm leaning toward the Mini S R53 because I know my way around the car and have had a couple in the past, so I know what breaks on them... Easy to get 240hp with bolt-on parts and re-chipping, along with suspension parts to tighten it up...

I have a MINI R53 GP and might be parting with it if the price is ok. Very well taken care of with low mileage 20,000miles on it.... Wife complains that I can't drive 3 cars!!! No clue what she is talking about, of course I won't drive them same time... tongue.png

Gotta agree with Katipo here. Driven both Mazda 3 and Ford Focus and while they're not fast they are definitely a blast to drive, especially the Mazda 3. If they only had a manual transmission though... ;-)

Exactly...the new Mazda 3 is a nice drive, good handling and if it would have a manual box....yeah, with Mazda reliability....count me in. Such a shame because they build some of the nicest manual boxes around (MX5).

With a lazy 1 million to buy a play toy id be looking towards a WRX or an RX-8.

I almost recommended an RX-8 initially, but I'd pass on the WRX - its a fun car, but at this price you're getting one so old even a Proton puts the interior to shame wink.png

Ummm the thread title is "fun" car.... I would not be buying a rexxy for the interior.

Old full size Volvo or Mercedes for 100,000, and spend 900,000 fitting a 2JZ driveline (ex supra turbo) + mods to support 500bhp. Nice stealthy way to paint two long black lines down any road you want....

A 2J will go 500hp on stock internals.

Merc/vovlo - 100k.

2J engine - 30k

big single - 60k.

inlet and exhaust manifolds - 40k

fuel system - 60k

ECU - 40k.

Gearbox and clutch - 100k.

brakes - 60k

wheels/tyres and suspension - 200k

spend the remaining 300k on fuel.

If ever I could find it again I would buy the car I used to see for sale on Srinakarin road in BKK in the early 1990s.

It looked a lot like this.

Totally impractical for Thailand especially rural Thailand or Bangkok but for me, it is certainly a fun car.

post-5614-0-91964100-1440659077_thumb.jp

I would choose a turbo charged Ford Fiesta ST with all the "extras".

Looks like a fun car and is not expensive.

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking about cars you can buy in Thailand - which means, no Ford ST models.

Where can you drive for fun in thailand?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

In the mountains for one...

1452731_orig.jpg

Very romantic...

Have you actually driven on that road?

Even if you do find a nice road with no traffic, in Thailand roads suddenly turn to shit and or strange things suddenly appear in the road... I came around a corner on my bike and saw a guy crossing the road with a rickety farm shack balanced precariously on the trailer of his rice tractor... luckily I was being careful.

OK seeing someone literally move their house is not an everyday sight, but things like buffaloes are.

Thailand is not a wise place to have fun on the roads. Off road is safer and more fun.

And you don't need a flash car to impress the ladie's...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Wow, some great responses for sure. I hadn't even thought about the RX-8. That's tempting. Unfortunately a friend of mine committed suicide in his so it has ruined the car for me mentally.

Couldn't find any WRX's in the general price range. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I thought the Fiesta EcoBoost could be a fairly fun car. For 700K+ you'd have some money left over for extras. Mazda 3 is a strong contender providing decent horsepower, handling plus good styling and interior. Defintiely a contender for new car. For used, I had looked at a Mini Cooper S. Never been wild on Mini Coopers but it's hard to deny the overal fun Go-Kart handling and manual transmission.

A used 3-Series is also a good suggestion. It's a pity they don't come in manual here.

And who said HRV? Cmon man, if that's your definition of fun, you need to get your pulse checked.

Wow, some great responses for sure. I hadn't even thought about the RX-8. That's tempting. Unfortunately a friend of mine committed suicide in his so it has ruined the car for me mentally.

Couldn't find any WRX's in the general price range. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I thought the Fiesta EcoBoost could be a fairly fun car. For 700K+ you'd have some money left over for extras. Mazda 3 is a strong contender providing decent horsepower, handling plus good styling and interior. Defintiely a contender for new car. For used, I had looked at a Mini Cooper S. Never been wild on Mini Coopers but it's hard to deny the overal fun Go-Kart handling and manual transmission.

A used 3-Series is also a good suggestion. It's a pity they don't come in manual here.

And who said HRV? Cmon man, if that's your definition of fun, you need to get your pulse checked.

If you like manuals but not so hot on Mini Cooper S than if you can find look at a Citroen DS3 with the MINI Cooper S engine (in detuned form),it's called Dsport or THP with the 155 hp engine (turbo). I have it since 2 months (bought for under 800K with 35,000km on it, 3 years old, looks like new) and it really is a nice car, sure not as 'fun' as a Cooper yet not far away, but a bit more comfy, a bit more adult maybe, still good pace and a good manual gearbox. Drove down from BKK to Phuket with it and found it even with 3 heavy adults in it a comfy yet speedy drive (9:30 hrs time with a few pit stops).

The Ecoboost is decent but no manual.

Over all, finding anything pretty recent and fun with a manual will be a 'big' challenge! I looked at many things and it came down to one option the DS3!

Otherwise go for the Mazda 3 if you ok with an auto...for longterm it surely will serve well, not "thaaaat" much fun factor...but nice nevertheless for the budget....If you think Ecoboost you could also try the little Mazda 2 diesel, pretty powerful....Haha small diesel car in the thread of 'fun' cars...who would have thought 10 years ago.

Edited by frankphuket

I test drove and wrote a review on the Mazda 2 diesel. I liked it but found it a bit pricey for a car in it's price range. Hadn't thought about tuning one. 145hp in a car that size would be a hoot.

As for the Citroen, I'm American so I'm not too familiar with French cars as they're not sold in the states. I'll have to look it up.

I have always liked the Honda Integra DC5 type R if you can bring yourself to part with nearly a million baht for something that old

http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/honda-integra-bangkok-metropolitan-rama-3-sathorn-rama-4/2179651/

http://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features-heroes/honda-integra-type-r-dc5--ph-heroes/30260

That's a lot of money for an early RSX. I considered buying one when I was in the states. A 2.0 L Civic would be a much cheaper alternative I think.

I test drove and wrote a review on the Mazda 2 diesel. I liked it but found it a bit pricey for a car in it's price range. Hadn't thought about tuning one. 145hp in a car that size would be a hoot.

As for the Citroen, I'm American so I'm not too familiar with French cars as they're not sold in the states. I'll have to look it up.

A little about the Citroen: actually the engine used in the Mini Cooper S and some other products in BMW is sourced by PSA group which is Citroen, Peugeot. The same engine, named Prince engine is found in many cars like the Peugeot RCZ, 208 GTI etc. in many different forms of tune stage. (Not 100% certain of the accuracy of all this, please do correct me if there is something I miss informed).

Comparing the Mini Cooper S with the Citroen DS3 is kind of that the DS3 is a bit more comfort focused, still not soft at all, a bit easier to live with maybe on Thai roads. it is rated at 0-100 km/h at 7.2 or so, which is pretty swift, not downright fast & furious. They can be tuned easily to 180-190 hp, but me being in Phuket I will leave it as is.

I must admit owning a Mini Cooper GP, a Golf MK6 GTI and the DS3 they all bring smiles on my face and the little much less expensive DS3 is right up there...steering is good, not as direct as the Mini, the gearbox is much easier to live with in the city than the more 'hardcore' GP. They are very hard to find as they were only sold by Citroen Thailand a short period and being manual only didn't do too well in sales figures I assume.

one thing with them being mostly in bright yellow, they stand out and this is kind of fun & funky, albeit a slight "girly" look, so if you are the macho Marlboro kind of guy might not work...;p

The little diesel maz 2 responds well to some tuning (and an exhaust)... 145 hp at the treads is achievable. Shame it is not sold with the manual box.

Do you have one and done the tuning or know of someone having done? If so, would love to know where he has done the job? Bangkok? My son drives one and the fuel consumption is really excellent, as well as the decent power.

The Focus 2.0 S+ is a sweet handling car. It is streets ahead of the competition in its class here for handling and the power isn't too bad with 170bhp to play with. Just over a million new in top spec but a lot less 2nd hand. Get a cheap early one and a Ducati Monster 821 for your speed thrillssmile.png

I have always liked the Honda Integra DC5 type R if you can bring yourself to part with nearly a million baht for something that old

http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/honda-integra-bangkok-metropolitan-rama-3-sathorn-rama-4/2179651/

http://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features-heroes/honda-integra-type-r-dc5--ph-heroes/30260

That's a lot of money for an early RSX. I considered buying one when I was in the states. A 2.0 L Civic would be a much cheaper alternative I think.

You can get a 1.8 mt civic and boost it to give about 180-200hp. Or a FD civic that has had a type R engine put in it.