Entering thailand with what sort of document ?

Hello to all,

I am half thai/ english 18 year old and will be traveling to thailand in two weeks from now, however i do not have a valid thai passport ( and have lost my old one). Both of my parents are abroad so they can't accompany me to get a new passport anyway. I have a letter of consent from my mother and father to let me get a new thai passport but the problem is i don't think i will have the time as they said it could take up to 6 weeks. So i have been doing some research about obtaining a certificate of identification instead as a last minute resource and then getting a thai passport done once i am in Bangkok.

Will this be ok? What kind of complications could i encounter ?

If i travel with my english passport but then get a thai passport will i have to leave the country and reenter on my thai passport ?

Could i enter thailand with english passport but use thai ID card to stay longer than accepted length of stay on english visa ?

From the day you apply,,,, to the day you get your new passport, it takes only round 1 week here in Khon Kaen.... NOT 6 weeks..

Good luck....

Glegolo

It "can" take up to 6 weeks when applying for a thai passport in england ^^

Following entry into Thailand with your UK passport, you can get a one-year extension of stay at your local immigration office by showing your Thai ID card. Fee 1,900 Baht.

My dad is saying i will be traveling with a new zealand passport actually.

Is a one-year extension of stay hard to get ?

I have a letter of consent from my mother and father to let me get a new thai passport

If your parents aren't with you and not in Thailand, I believe their letters of consent need to be certified by a Thai embassy.

• Documents required for applicants between the ages of 15-20
    • Citizenship I.D. Card or an identification card which complies to the rules of the Ministry of Interior
    • A notarized parental consent letter and certified copies of parents’ Citizenship I.D. Cards

You did ask basically the same question a couple of weeks ago: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/846677-11-months-in-thailand-entering-staying-leaving/#entry9710313

The reason it takes up to 6 weeks when you apply for a Thai passport outside Thailand is because they are processed at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand. Should be much quicker if you are applying in Thailand.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

If your parents aren't with you and not in Thailand, I believe their letters of consent need to be certified by a Thai embassy.

• Documents required for applicants between the ages of 15-20
    • Citizenship I.D. Card or an identification card which complies to the rules of the Ministry of Interior
    • A notarized parental consent letter and certified copies of parents’ Citizenship I.D. Cards

You did ask basically the same question a couple of weeks ago: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/846677-11-months-in-thailand-entering-staying-leaving/#entry9710313

The reason it takes up to 6 weeks when you apply for a Thai passport outside Thailand is because they are processed at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand. Should be much quicker if you are applying in Thailand.

I'm in a little bit of a pickle then as my father is living in Ghana ( no thai embassy ) and my mother doesn't understand how to send an email...

I will be applying for either a passport (with my aunt) in thailand or a one-year extension of stay if i end up not having the correct documents required for the passport application

Thank you for your reply! (Yes i did but i couldn't find the discussion thread anymore ans the situation has changed slightly)

I don't see anybody asking one important question. You say you're half English and half Thai so that is your genetics, but where were you born?

Sorry I though that made a difference but I see that it doesn't.

Half Thai - where was he born??

Half English - where has he lived??

No Thai Passport ??

No UK Passport ??

but,but, but, Father says "You will be travelling on a New Zealand passport (??)

No Thai Embassy in Accra, but there is one in Abidjan next door Cote d'Ivoire a hop skip & a jump away, driven it many times.

So many holes in this story - I am wondering if he is just a West African UK subject that happens to have a Thai mother (that doesn't know how to send an email?? surely someone can show her or do it for her) ........... its either dodgey, or he is not explaining all the circumstances Good Luck to him.

I don't see anybody asking one important question. You say you're half English and half Thai so that is your genetics, but where were you born?

Sorry I though that made a difference but I see that it doesn't.

Couldn't you travel between the two countries just by showing proof of you citizenship of each particular country?

I was born in Nakhon Phanom - Thailand.

And it would be extremely easier to just show my id card when entering thailand but i do not know if it works that way. ( I need a passport instead right ?)

Half Thai - where was he born??

Half English - where has he lived??

No Thai Passport ??

No UK Passport ??

but,but, but, Father says "You will be travelling on a New Zealand passport (??)

No Thai Embassy in Accra, but there is one in Abidjan next door Cote d'Ivoire a hop skip & a jump away, driven it many times.

So many holes in this story - I am wondering if he is just a West African UK subject that happens to have a Thai mother (that doesn't know how to send an email?? surely someone can show her or do it for her) ........... its either dodgey, or he is not explaining all the circumstances Good Luck to him.

Haha, i understand that my story is very complicated and i am sorry if i haven't given enough detail.

I was born in Nakhon Phanom - Thailand.

My father is english so i have an english passport (But it is out of date, and so is my thai passport) I have lived in many places though, my last home was in Ghana. And yes i will be traveling on a New Zealand passport as my father was born there (He is 100% English of blood but has 2 nationalities) so i have the right to have a New zealand passport as his daughter ( i have 3 in total but only 1 is not out of date)

Thank you for your information i shall pass to on to my father but unfortunately he is unlikely to travel to Abidjan just for a Notarised document, so in the end i will just probably ask for a one-year extension of stay at an immigration office.

I am not a west African haha i just happen to have lived in African for the last two years. (And as for my mother, i'm hoping one of her friends could help her to send me the required documents)

You will be allowed entry to Thailand with the UK passport.

I doubt showing a Thai ID card will be sufficient to gain admission in the absence of a Thai passport.

Do you speak/understand fluent Thai ?

I speak very little thai but can understand most of it. (The entire point of me going to Thailand this year is to be able to learn the language :) )

So, in summary, you will enter on your NZ passport and be given a 30 day stay. During that time you will go to the Immigration office nearest to where you are staying and get a one year permission to stay based on your Thai ID card. If the ID card has expired, you should first go to the amphur where it was issued to get it renewed.

Still, you will be here as a foreigner, so every 90 days from the date that your extended stay is granted, you must submit a report (TM47) to that Immigration office.

If you manage to get a new Thai passport while you are here, you may choose to exit Thailand on your NZ passport and immediately return on the Thai passport, thus eliminating any further contact with Immigration. That will be up to you.

Edited by mahjongguy

So, in summary, you will enter on your NZ passport and be given a 30 day stay. During that time you will go to the Immigration office nearest to where you are staying and get a one year permission to stay based on your Thai ID card. If the ID card has expired, you should first go to the amphur where it was issued to get it renewed.

Still, you will be here as a foreigner, so every 90 days from the date that your extended stay is granted, you must submit a report (TM47) to that Immigration office.

If you manage to get a new Thai passport while you are here, you may choose to exit Thailand on your NZ passport and immediately return on the Thai passport, thus eliminating any further contact with Immigration. That will be up to you.

Yes, as soon as i get my thai passport i will leave with my NZ passport and re enter the country on my thai passport.

Do you know of any visas that allow me to stay in Thailand for 3 months ?

From the day you apply,,,, to the day you get your new passport, it takes only round 1 week here in Khon Kaen.... NOT 6 weeks..

Good luck....

Glegolo

My best advise to you is to talk to someone at your nearest embassy. You are leaving yourself open to many problems even entering Thailand without proper credentials, ID Passport, etc.Dont take chances of being denied entry and dont take everyones advise here as truth. Not all is same same when enteringThailand and you need to be sure to keep from being denied entry...