In run-up to Thai charter vote, govt forbids campaigning

webfact

In Run-Up to Charter Vote, Govt Forbids Campaigning
By Khaosod English

14406564271440657255l.jpg
Campaign posters in Bangkok before general elections in 2011. Photo: Michael Coghlan

BANGKOK — Thais will not be allowed to independently campaign either for or against their new constitution before it goes before voters in a referendum as soon as January.

As the military government encounters rising internal and external dissent to the draft charter, a top junta official said yesterday that public debate over its merits and deficiencies will only be allowed at officially sanctioned forums organized by the Election Commission and balanced accounts in recognized news media. Organized rallies and campaigns will be forbidden under the existing injunction against political gatherings.

“The Election Commission will arrange for the two sides to express their opinions,” Deputy Prime Minister Visanu Krue-ngam said yesterday. “As for campaigning, it cannot be done, whether to accept or reject the charter.”

He echoed comments made Tuesday by the chairman of Thailand’s Election Commission.

“Campaigns to influence the referendum cannot be done, whether to tell people to accept or reject the charter draft,” Suphachai Somcharoen said. “If anyone or any group comes out to campaign about the referendum, they will be guilty of violating NCPO order No. 7, which bans political assemblies.”

The first hurdle for the charter, which represents the future laws of the land, will be when it’s put to the junta-appointed National Reform Council’s 200 members for an up-or-down vote next month. A hardliner faction of about 20 council members have actively called for it to be rejected in favor of keeping the junta in power for another two years to complete its reform campaign.

Players from both sides of the political divide have publicly panned the proposed constitution as undemocratic.

Should the draft charter pass the 6 Sept. vote, it will go to national referendum in January.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1440656427

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-27

“The Election Commission will arrange for the two sides to express their opinions,” Deputy Prime Minister Visanu Krue-ngam said yesterday. “As for campaigning, it cannot be done, whether to accept or reject the charter.”

Does this include the weekly campaigning by the CDC?

"As the military government encounters rising internal and external dissent to the draft charter, a top junta official said yesterday that public debate over its merits and deficiencies will only be allowed at officially sanctioned forums organized by the Election Commission and balanced accounts in recognized news media. Organized rallies and campaigns will be forbidden under the existing injunction against political gatherings."

In other words, only government approved propaganda is allowed, all other views and disscussions are banned.

"Thais will not be allowed to independently campaign either for or against their new constitution before it goes before voters in a referendum as soon as January."

Seeing the usual comments I guess the government should consider to keep quiet about the referendum as well as surely just pointing to the referendum and the possibility to vote on the charter proposed will be seen by some as propaganda.

"Thais will not be allowed to independently campaign either for or against their new constitution before it goes before voters in a referendum as soon as January."

Seeing the usual comments I guess the government should consider to keep quiet about the referendum as well as surely just pointing to the referendum and the possibility to vote on the charter proposed will be seen by some as propaganda.

Suthep has been quiet lately. Will he be out on the hustings beating the accept drums.

It's all a bit NottheNation. Discussing Lese majeste is lese majeste and all that...

What is the new constitution? No Thai I know has a clue. The only information I have read or heard is both sides, the for and against making statements about only a few of the items contained within it. Has it been published for all and sundry to read and make up there own minds? If so where?? If not, holding a vote is beyond comprehension and is only a way for the Junta to have 100% confidence it is a yes vote. It must be published, discussed in the media and anywhere else that can inform the population.

What is the new constitution? No Thai I know has a clue. The only information I have read or heard is both sides, the for and against making statements about only a few of the items contained within it. Has it been published for all and sundry to read and make up there own minds? If so where?? If not, holding a vote is beyond comprehension and is only a way for the Junta to have 100% confidence it is a yes vote. It must be published, discussed in the media and anywhere else that can inform the population.

In April a draft was made available, in Thai of course, but even an unofficial English version.

The current 'final' draft has not been made available yet, but I assume it will be soonest the NRC/NLA votes on it. The next step would be to make it available to all THai online, and even have millions of copies printed for distribution to all Thai households. I'm sure some kind (legal) soul will make an fair English translation available online.

I have to agree with the two sides on this matter. When you have a dictator PM who want to insure his position so he wants to farmers and working people who has no knowledge of the charter to not complain. No information = no knowledge and no riots!

I have to agree with the two sides on this matter. When you have a dictator PM who want to insure his position so he wants to farmers and working people who has no knowledge of the charter to not complain. No information = no knowledge and no riots!

At the end of it all there will be a PRIME minister running the country. What the so called elite want is for him or her to run the country as they like.

If they don't there will be another coup.

Simple really.