Would you recommend Thailand?

Ian223

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One aspect which is rarely mentioned, is the matter of health and travel insurance.

This can be extremely expensive, and is also age-dependent. For example, Air Asia won't insure even your baggage, if you're over 75.

Medical services and hospitals here are extremely good, but they are not free. Make sure you have factored in full insurance for the entire trip. Also, most Travel Insurance is based on your returning home after your travels.

Don't even consider travelling by motorbike. The death toll is more or less kept under wraps, but we all know it's around 250 per WEEK!

Do your homework, budget carefully. It's a great place here, but it's not London, Melbourne or even Kansas.

It makes me very sad to read all the negative and overly biased comments on this forum about Thailand. I was stationed in London Woolwich when a bomb went off in the pub across the road, on 9 Aug 05 I unveiled the Memorial to the Women of World War 2 in Whitehall. The day before, not one, but two bombs went off, one across from out hotel and the other on the bus. Not forgetting all the bombs that went off in the UK during the IRA error. By that token, it makes the UK a much less safe place than Thailand. I find the Thai people I deal with much more polite and kind than the majority of the people in UK. Last year we wanted to buy something, but did not have the readies - my Thai Parents-in-law gave us, not loaned us, but gave us 175,000 baht. By and large I find that I am greeted with smiles and a wai. In the UK I find that unless you are friends, you are largely ignored and the level of service in many places is appalling. Sure I find the level of noise from some of the bars unacceptable and getting the authorities to do something about is can be a long drawn out issue. It also annoys me that many of the Thais burn their rubbish. Driving in Thailand is an art and one has to be quite careful, but remember folks this is an emerging Country and all the laws are not as robustly policed as in a developed Country. Up to now (touch wood) I am still accident free. I am hoping next year to take my lovely Thai Wife on an extended tour of Europe. My Sister-in-Law has said that she would take care of our house letting business in our absence. Payment for this service is...................can she live in our house whilst we are away, which means we keep the income from the business. I hope this will give people a much more positive perspective of this lovely Country, the People, not to mention the Food. I also know many others who feel the same way about Thailand.

I have several friends that would like to come but will not, because it's a 13 h flight from Europe to Thailand.....and they don't like to stay that long in a airplaine....They don't know what they are missing...!!!! suckers !!!!.....one couple always goes to Furteventura (Canary Islands) in Spain, several times a year and spend as much money in 14 days, my wife and I spend in 3 months in Thailand....They have not the slightest bit of adventure left in there life....

And I'm sure they would love Thailand and would regret they never came long time ago....!!!

Up to them,...!

Best regards.

I would recommend Thailand to anyone.

Never mind all the negative stuff about scams etc.

If you have your head switched on (needed everywhere) it is a wonderful place for a holiday.

By the way I live here and will never go back to Europe!

Absolutely. If the public wasn't so indifferent towards everything, but tunnel vision, these events worldwide would subside significantly.

Your very use of the word bias speaks directly to what was just stated. Speaks volumes about how you lack thinking faculties.

Or just hide under the bed.

You've gone too far in the other direction.

Yes Thailand is only dangerous, not very dangerous compared to war zones, but war zones don't enjoy mass tourism industries.

Also, there is no way that Thailand is only "slightly" less safe than Switzerland. It's a lot less safe. Of course people don't ski in Thailand ... so what you plan to do on holiday makes a difference too.

I would really like to see statistics of number of accidental/unnatural deaths/serious wounds by country, number of tourists and duration of stay.

My point is that even if the risk in Thailand was 100 times higher than the risk in, say, France, it would still be so ridiculously low to be considered in a decision of where to go.

I agree on this point. There are many who throw out opinions without much data to illustrate them.

I, too, would like to see some statistics on just how many farangs die of violent interactions. Typical elderly sex tourists should not be considered in the context of what the OP is asking.

Bangkok is rated as the tenth most hazardous traffic city in the world. I cannot give the link, but it is a statistic I have read, and worth consideration. As a sixty odd year old cardiac patient I had no business taking several of the motorbike taxi rides I did last trip! They were on the high side of "exhilarating".

I think I would give a personal thumbs up to Chiang Mai, ....Koh Larn was lovely.... Udon Thani in Issan is rather under appreciated, I think, though there are fewer English speaking folks in general.

I also agree it is a long, hard trip for a brief visit. I came for two months last time. Mid September I return for probably six months minimum.... probably will be applying for either a retirement or marriage arrangement. blink.png

Lets not forget the big picture, if we start telling people not to come then the terrorists have won. Just imagine if Thailand had the mass shootings that occur in the USA on a daily basis..

"Lets not forget the big picture, if we start telling people not to come then the terrorists have won"

What?

Lets not forget the big picture, if we start telling people not to come then the terrorists have won. Just imagine if Thailand had the mass shootings that occur in the USA on a daily basis..

"Lets not forget the big picture, if we start telling people not to come then the terrorists have won"

What?

terrorists would like us to pander to their prejudices, and change our way of life. So changing our way of life is pandering to the terrorists.

I don't mind having my bag searched, but i would still like to go to public buildings, and to African countries, if I chose, Or Ulster, or the Far South.

SC

I've had the misfortune of being about 200 meters from Erawan when the bomb exploded, but was fortunate enough to get away with only a pounding heart and ringing ears, and a mix of emotions including a profound bitterness towards the authorities for their incompetence in handling the investigation.

I have some relatives - mid 20's with little travel experience - considering a trip here. It would be the standard Bangkok - Chiang Mai - beaches itinerary. I realize Thailand is a big country, and the overwhelming majority of tourists have a safe and wonderful trip here, but nonetheless I'm seriously considering telling them to consider another destination. I also realize my feelings probably have a negative emotional bias after what just happened, so I put it to others on here: would you recommended a holiday in Thailand for your loved ones?

If you think it's so dangerous why are you still here?

Surely you're not death proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Op hasn't been back since the first few posts.

Is he hiding from the terrorists?

This needs closing. Waste of time.

I think the objective of the OP was yet another Thai Bashing spree, make a change wouldn't it . wink.png

And how would the OP feel if there was an issue during their holiday? Thailand is unpredictable at the moment.

That was my particular fear -- it's a female cousin in her mid 20's, and would be travelling solo.

And how would the OP feel if there was an issue during their holiday? Thailand is unpredictable at the moment.

That was my particular fear -- it's a female cousin in her mid 20's, and would be travelling solo.

Mid 20´s, travelling solo in Thailand - dont let her do it, bombs or not, its simply too dangerous ...

The Op hasn't been back since the first few posts.

Is he hiding from the terrorists?

This needs closing. Waste of time.

I think the objective of the OP was yet another Thai Bashing spree, make a change wouldn't it . wink.png

This was not a Thai bashing spree nor a troll post -- not sure how you could draw that conclusion from an open "Would you recommend.." question, but anyway...

In the end, I wound up having a talk with my cousin, offering some general developing country travel "street smarts" as well as some Thailand specific advice (i.e. jet-ski & Grand Palace scams, meter usage, consider using Uber/Grab where available, just because the friendly person don't require a license doesn't mean you should be riding a motorbike here, etc.) I didn't steer her in either direction -- seeing that she is an adult, best to give the facts so that they can make an informed decision on their own. I would be remiss not to mention such risks. I did also suggest working in Vietnam and/or Laos if she could get some more time off, and to especially have a look at Vietnam if she's keen on beaches.

They should consider Vietnam the people are so nice and more speak a little English. A lot of expats here are moving over there. I live here with my Thai wife and if she would I would move over there with pleasure.

The beaches along the East Coast are beautiful, far cheaper than Thailand, we have been there 3 times and going back soon.

Na Trang is so nice water is very clean food is ok not spicy like Thailand. Crim is very low the police make sure of that.

They should give it a go. They can spend couple weeks in Thailand and get a cheap budget flight over from Thailand and spend couple weeks there. Few days in HCM cheap budjet flight up to Na Trang, then cheap flight up to Hanoi which is to interesting markets all over the place. Book hotels over there through the Internet.

I've been to Nha Trang twice but the water is brown and not clear. I greatly enjoyed it both times but I hear it's gone down because of overspeculation and development and worse, a flood of Russian tourists, though their numbers have gone down due to the tanking of the Russian economy.

Sorry but Thai food blows past Vietnamese food any day, plus medical services are far better in Thailand than in Vietnam. I'm not saying Vietnam isn't a good tourism destination but I'd recommend Thailand over Nam in a heartbeat.

As for going to Thailand, well, if it was so dangerous, why was it the tenth most visited country in 2014? Of course bad things happen but well, considering the number of foreign tourists who visit Thailand...

• 1 month later...

A holiday.

1st class - a total diversity of everything - language, culture, religion, life priorities, respect for the Monarch.

Respect for the elderly.

One can then go home & reassess their values.

Yes I would recommend...but PLEASE tell them not to be what I call "Central World" tourists. You know tourists who travel halfway around the world and then get out of the cab in front of Central World with wide eyed amazement saying "WOW...Central World in Bangkok....how exotic is this !"

Help them see a bit of the real Thailand...not the toursity bits of flotsam created to separate farangs from their earnings.