Notary Public Or Commissioner For Oaths

Finlaco

Try AAA in the paid area of Nana BTS station.

I don't know their opening hours.

They notarised documents I needed urgently notarised, and there's a post office just underneath the station.

SC

I checked with them once re notarizing a document. It's been a while, but I want to say, they told me somewhere in the 1500 to 2000 baht range just to stamp ONE document.

To me, that's ridiculously overpriced for what's involved, but that's what you get when you deal with Thai attorneys/legal offices.

Unfortunately, as noted above, there aren't any traditional notary public's here in Thailand, AFAIK. So it's typically consulates, law firms and sometimes other places like banks that do that kind of job. It's quite hard to find anyplace that does such a simple job for a reasonable price.

This place below used to advertise a fee of 1000 baht for notary services, but I see they now have removed any price reference from their website. Also, I've never dealt with them, so I can't provide any direct comment on their services. But might be worth checking with them.

http://www.interactivethailand.com/notary/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Do you need your signature witnessed, or notarised ?

Notarised but as I am sure ur about to tell me, Notary Public Or Commissioner For Oaths don't really exist in Thailand, hence my use of 'witnessed' via a Notary Public Or Commissioner For Oaths, as opposed to witnessed by a friend or colleague

Try AAA in the paid area of Nana BTS station.

I don't know their opening hours.

They notarised documents I needed urgently notarised, and there's a post office just underneath the station.

SC

I checked with them once re notarizing a document. It's been a while, but I want to say, they told me somewhere in the 1500 to 2000 baht range just to stamp ONE document.

To me, that's ridiculously overpriced for what's involved, but that's what you get when you deal with Thai attorneys/legal offices.

Unfortunately, as noted above, there aren't any traditional notary public's here in Thailand, AFAIK. So it's typically consulates, law firms and sometimes other places like banks that do that kind of job. It's quite hard to find anyplace that does such a simple job for a reasonable price.

This place below used to advertise a fee of 1000 baht for notary services, but I see they now have removed any price reference from their website. Also, I've never dealt with them, so I can't provide any direct comment on their services. But might be worth checking with them.

http://www.interactivethailand.com/notary/

I used Interactive to notarized a 30 page document earlier this week. The price was 1,000 baht plus VAT.

I used Interactive to notarized a 30 page document earlier this week. The price was 1,000 baht plus VAT.

Thanks! That's great to hear. And certainly seems to be one of the more reasonable prices I've seen/heard around Bangkok.

Just for context, there's someone, I believe some kind of Thai law firm or attorney, right now who regularly advertises in the TV classifieds who's asking 2300 baht per document. That's even higher, of course, than the $50 fee charged by the U.S. Consulate in BKK.

Sunbelt Asia's office at FortuneTown used to have someone, some years ago, who'd notarize documents for what I think was around 400-600 baht per document, which seemed very reasonable for Thailand. But AFAIK, they discontinued offering that service a long time back.

Since then, I've never found any comparably priced substitute for them in BKK, though I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

I just emailed them (http://www.interacti...and.com/notary/) - to notarize a single page plus a copy of my passport is 2k €50

I've used them on several occasions and can also recommend them.

What you are saying is correct, although you do seem to be unhappy about it. They charge 1,000 baht for each item notarised, so 1,000 baht for your single page document and 1,000 baht for your passport is 2,000 baht. Do you expect them to notarise your passport free of charge?

Just to make you even more unhappy they will charge you the compulsory VAT also.

Thailand doesn't really do the Notary Public thing. Try your embassy.

The bigger law firms do it. There are at least half a dozen in Hua Hin so I imagine quite a few in BKK. I paid 1000 baht however you better be sure what the exact requirements of your country are first because they just follow what you request. I had my lawyers markup a copy where signature was required and also be aware what colour pen is required in your country.

There is a government department at the Government Office Complex in Chiangmai that will do it for very little money. Can't remember the name. I suppose this service is available country-wide. Don't know about Bangkok though.

On a similar tack, I need to draw up a Thai will, has anyone any experience of legal chappies here in Bangkok, preferably close to the centre and as cheap as possible? Nothing complicated, just 'I leave my meagre assets in Thailand to my Thai wife or my son if we both die in the same bus crash'. That sort of thing.

There are a variety of separate threads on the subject of Thai wills. You might look/post there, for better answers/ideas.

FWIW, for a simple will, under Thai law, it doesn't need to be drafted by an attorney.

But, if you're so inclined, trying to find a reputable, trustworthy, reasonably priced attorney in Bangkok seems to be just about as difficult as finding a Thai government that lasts more than a few years before getting replaced. I'd offer a suggestion if I had any, but I don't.

A fair number of the posters who have posted on the subject of getting quotes for wills from Thai attorneys have reported getting pretty much extortionate prices, even for simple, uncomplicated wills. YMMV.

There is a government department at the Government Office Complex in Chiangmai that will do it for very little money. Can't remember the name. I suppose this service is available country-wide. Don't know about Bangkok though.

I must have been there on an a bad day as they said they can't do it for foreign documents only domestic docs.

On a similar tack, I need to draw up a Thai will, has anyone any experience of legal chappies here in Bangkok, preferably close to the centre and as cheap as possible? Nothing complicated, just 'I leave my meagre assets in Thailand to my Thai wife or my son if we both die in the same bus crash'. That sort of thing.

You should be able to get a 'simple' Will covering your assets/wishes in Thailand for 2,500 Baht to include a Thai translation.

Do you need your signature witnessed, or notarised ?

Notarised but as I am sure ur about to tell me, Notary Public Or Commissioner For Oaths don't really exist in Thailand, hence my use of 'witnessed' via a Notary Public Or Commissioner For Oaths, as opposed to witnessed by a friend or colleague

Must be an important document.

In which the fees stated must be deemed to be reasonable.

There are a variety of separate threads on the subject of Thai wills. You might look/post there, for better answers/ideas.

FWIW, for a simple will, under Thai law, it doesn't need to be drafted by an attorney.

But, if you're so inclined, trying to find a reputable, trustworthy, reasonably priced attorney in Bangkok seems to be just about as difficult as finding a Thai government that lasts more than a few years before getting replaced. I'd offer a suggestion if I had any, but I don't.

A fair number of the posters who have posted on the subject of getting quotes for wills from Thai attorneys have reported getting pretty much extortionate prices, even for simple, uncomplicated wills. YMMV.

Thanks for that! I hadn't bothered to search for other threads its true, it just occurred to me to ask about wills on a legally type of thread. It is a simple will I need -I don't keep anything other than bare bones assets stashed in LoS! That said, I've heard stories of banks refusing to hand over the hundred thousand odd baht in Farang bank accounts when no will could be produced - even from lawful wedded wives. So to be safe I'd like a will, but I don't want to pay through the nose for it. Sounds like DIY is OK.

There are several different kinds of wills allowed, in terms of how they are prepared, under Thai law. And none of those methods require an attorney's involvement.

However, each method has specific requirements of Thai law on wills that have to be complied with, if the document is to be legally valid.

Suggest you start reading with this thread, as just one thread on the topic (there are others as well):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/849398-will-or-power-of-attorney/

And read the applicable Thai law translated into English on the subject:

http://www.bia.co.th/032.html

There are several different kinds of wills allowed, in terms of how they are prepared, under Thai law. And none of those methods require an attorney's involvement.

However, each method has specific requirements of Thai law on wills that have to be complied with, if the document is to be legally valid.

Suggest you start reading with this thread, as just one thread on the topic (there are others as well):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/849398-will-or-power-of-attorney/

And read the applicable Thai law translated into English on the subject:

http://www.bia.co.th/032.html

Many thanks for that Big Man.

• 3 weeks later...