Thai Education Min eyes cutting school hours to allow students to relax

webfact

As a father of 4 (P3 to M5), I can tell that the real number of hours in front of a teacher to learn is decreasing dramatically since one year. Most of the time now focus on propaganda for Junta, Thainess, etc. My daughters spend hours and hours in traditional dance training, activities related to Mum, flags, religion, etc. The aim is clear: even if education level is one of the lowest in the world, Junta wishes it even lower => if young people are educated, know something about the world, can think by themselves, can express an opinion, they will obviously reject the current system which is absolutely unacceptable by any educated kid or adult in any country of the world.

Yep, and pretty much convinced that when I have kids if I can't send them to an international then I'll be taking them home. I'm not impressed with what I'm seeing here, nor in how the children are socialized.

I know two other fellas who went home once their kids were of school age, my hat off to them.

For some strange reason, I have a mental image of these 'relaxing' students exercising their thumbs on their phones. They can't seem to put them down, travelling down a highway with one hand texting, along footpaths, in stores, driving cars.

The plus side is that of course, they will have more time for study and homework. rolleyes.gif

As a father of 4 (P3 to M5), I can tell that the real number of hours in front of a teacher to learn is decreasing dramatically since one year. Most of the time now focus on propaganda for Junta, Thainess, etc. My daughters spend hours and hours in traditional dance training, activities related to Mum, flags, religion, etc. The aim is clear: even if education level is one of the lowest in the world, Junta wishes it even lower => if young people are educated, know something about the world, can think by themselves, can express an opinion, they will obviously reject the current system which is absolutely unacceptable by any educated kid or adult in any country of the world.

Complete and utter indoctrination and nothing else.

Get your kids out of Thai 'School' now.

Thai schools/education = 1 big joke

300 m opposite my place there is a school with mixed students of (i assume) 12/13y - 17/18y

Since last Monday they are ALL day, starting from 7 am, all outside on the football field making noice like an army ! The girls are teached and drilled how to SCREAM and JELL, all day long... This is really annoying and embarrassing !

Besides that very loud drums and other cat noise is played all day long

Worst of all, some teachers (or what they are supposed to be) are parttaking in it by acting like an entertainer and screaming all day long together with the students via loudspeakers that can be heard 10 km down the road....

Is this what they call EDUCATION ??? it's not only this week, but on a regular base !

Or is this what the PM calls "keep them happy"... ?

And then they want to reduce class hours... WHICH class hours ??? coffee1.gif

Cut the maths class of course. At least the buffaloes will not be able to work out when the Chinese rice merchants and the pawn shop owners and gold shop owners are cheating them. Maintain happiness at all costs. As others have said - too much education will spoil the status quo....education leads to the questioning of superiors.

The history of there system was designed for the purpose of keeping them in the dark. It can pretty much be traced to one man who came up with the idea around eighty years ago.

Agree with you ... No Wonder Thai Degrees are not acknowledged in 1 World countries ...

err right. If they are not recognised how come Thai graduates can go and study Master's and PhD's overseas?

Dump the useless subjects that students are not interested in, in m4-6 for a start. Use those free periods for students to concentrate on subjects they are interested in. No need for 'relax time', but more time should be spent out of the classroom in independent study. I currently have a class, that for the most part, refuse to do any work outside of the classroom. You can imagine what their grades are like laugh.png "Think for yourself" seems to be an alien concept here.

Agree with you ... No Wonder Thai Degrees are not acknowledged in 1 World countries ...

err right. If they are not recognised how come Thai graduates can go and study Master's and PhD's overseas?

With a typical Thai 'degree'? I don't think so.

Yes the education system needs reform and yes the training of teachers needs reform but like some have said, i also think this could be a step in the right direction. As long as the parents are not charged for the extra curriculum activities. If so, they will see more children leaving school early than they think they will.

The schools will then just begin classes at 6:30 am or shorten the dinner break.

Recently when the government shortened classes from 55 minutes to 50, the directors just added an Xtra class onto the school day to make up for it. Nothings changes.

They shortened the lessons to 50 minutes at my school last year, just to go back to normal this year.

Only the two existing EP classes have 50 minute lessons. It's a big problem if the right hand doesn't know what the left hand's doing.

But the biggest problem- and that's obvious at our school- seems to be that the right hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The most school directors are not there, because they're so well educated. They have to buy their position and give a shit about the students' education.

It's all about money, honey. No money, no honey. laugh.png

Edited by lostinisaan

With a typical Thai 'degree'? I don't think so.

You are completely misguided. My wift has a BNursing and MSc from Thailand and was accepted to do a PhD in Australia.

The child of our friends did M6 in Thailand, then did SAT and was accepted to an honours program at the Univesity of Minnesota. Now he is in a PhD program at Princeton on a full scholarship.

Not all Thai students are crap.

Yes the education system needs reform and yes the training of teachers needs reform but like some have said, i also think this could be a step in the right direction. As long as the parents are not charged for the extra curriculum activities. If so, they will see more children leaving school early than they think they will.

And guess what? Ken Robinson wasn't talking about the Thai education system. It is a world-wide phenomenon.

Complete and utter indoctrination and nothing else.

Get your kids out of Thai 'School' now.

Thai schools/education = 1 big joke

300 m opposite my place there is a school with mixed students of (i assume) 12/13y - 17/18y

Since last Monday they are ALL day, starting from 7 am, all outside on the football field making noice like an army ! The girls are teached and drilled how to SCREAM and JELL, all day long... This is really annoying and embarrassing !

Besides that very loud drums and other cat noise is played all day long

Worst of all, some teachers (or what they are supposed to be) are parttaking in it by acting like an entertainer and screaming all day long together with the students via loudspeakers that can be heard 10 km down the road....

Is this what they call EDUCATION ??? it's not only this week, but on a regular base !

Or is this what the PM calls "keep them happy"... ?

And then they want to reduce class hours... WHICH class hours ??? coffee1.gif

Cut the maths class of course. At least the buffaloes will not be able to work out when the Chinese rice merchants and the pawn shop owners and gold shop owners are cheating them. Maintain happiness at all costs. As others have said - too much education will spoil the status quo....education leads to the questioning of superiors.

Happy schools,happy school directors, happy students, happy teachers, happy parents and last but not least happy buffaloes. thumbsup.gif