Thai Supreme Court upholds drug kingpin's sentence

webfact

Court upholds drug kingpin's sentence
The Nation

30267622-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court yesterday upheld the lower court's ruling to give a 20-year prison sentence to Bangkok drug kingpin Sayam "Parp 70 Rai" Sapworasit for drug-money laundering.

Sayam was already in prison serving a life sentence for methamphetamines trafficking.

The Supreme Court also reduced the previous court's 10-year jail term for Sayam's wife, Sayamol Sirithanakorn, to five years and upheld the previous court's four-year jail term for Sayamol's elder sister, Duangta Kanjanaharn. As both women had already been prison that long, they were ordered released.

On October 27, 2004, Sayam, his wife and Duangta were convicted of laundering between Bt200 million and Bt500 million in drug money.

Sayam and his wife were each sentenced to 20 years while Duangta got 12 years.

On October 28, 2010, the Appeal's Court lowered Sayamol's sentence to 10 years and Duangta's to four years because it wasn't convinced they were involved in some money-laundering activities.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Court-upholds-drug-kingpins-sentence-30267622.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-28

Seems that they got a kingpin, which is good moves by the system cannot fault that. But the article doesn't go into or mention in passing if they managed to dismantle his manufacturing, supply chain and got at the cash laundering vehicles and those responsible for facilitating it. Unless they all gave him up.

Though I wonder what happened to the absolute mountains of money this guy would have, I doubt the laundering represented more than a 10th of his stockpile. A kingpin he is after all should be living large.

On October 27, 2004, Sayam, his wife and Duangta were convicted of laundering between Bt200 million and Bt500 million in drug money.

Quite recently an ex-soldier (Falang) got caught in Pattaya dealing with a small amount of drugs I believe, by an undercover cop and got 50 years.

They are consistent, I will give them that. NOT. Obviously this Thai guy paid somebody off to get his sentence reduced or maybe they have different sentencing terms for foreigners.

Quite recently an ex-soldier (Falang) got caught in Pattaya dealing with a small amount of drugs I believe, by an undercover cop and got 50 years.

They are consistent, I will give them that. NOT. Obviously this Thai guy paid somebody off to get his sentence reduced or maybe they have different sentencing terms for foreigners.

I think you didn't read the story.

He got life for drug dealing. He got 20 years for money laundering. He is serving the life sentence for drug-dealing. He appealed the money-laundering conviction; the point of the story is that he lost that appeal. He now continues to serve his life sentence for drug trafficking AND the 20-year sentence for laundering the profits of that trafficking. It is not stated in this story if the sentences are concurrent or consecutive. It also is not stated that he has continued trafficking drugs in prison, although he has.

They are consistent, I will give them that. NOT.

huh.png

This man is serving Life for drug dealing.

Don't you read so good?

(Shawshank Redemption pun there, no doubt lost on some)

Drugs and money laundering are not the same offences so why should the sentences be consistent?

Did you miss the part that said this Thai was already serving life for drugs offences? Obviously he didn't pay anyone off.

Seems that they got a kingpin, which is good moves by the system cannot fault that. But the article doesn't go into or mention in passing if they managed to dismantle his manufacturing, supply chain and got at the cash laundering vehicles and those responsible for facilitating it. Unless they all gave him up.

Though I wonder what happened to the absolute mountains of money this guy would have, I doubt the laundering represented more than a 10th of his stockpile. A kingpin he is after all should be living large.

He has got ten years to run his network with prison protection.

I hope that more meth bosses get jailed, and not just the lowly delivery persons. There have been a lot of arrests this year, huge hauls of meth have been seized, and this is obviously a very good thing. But most of those arrests were just the mules. I hope that operations are constantly underway to track down the bosses of this evil trade.

I attended the funeral of a builder who worked on my house years ago, before he became hooked on meth. He had started taking it at work to increase his productivity. Everybody on the building site told him that it was safe to use it, it wasn't very harmful and wasn't addictive. Sadly this was not true and it caused his health to deteriorate, and caused him to suffer a fatal seizure at work. If he had stayed with coffee instead, he would most likely still be supporting his family today. I remember him fondly, he was always very polite and friendly, and a great builder. Meth is an evil poison and I applaud the authorities for stamping it out, and I hope that the top bosses will be pursued with great intensity.