Do you have the right to be safe in Thailand?

NoshowJones

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MagnaCarter. I don't mind any critisism as long as it's constructive, I will always respect a posters opinion even if I don't agree with it, but I will not be goaded

into a flaming match with a keyboard warrior.

I started this thread and feel it is right that I should reply, and I do not expect everything my own way.

I think you're asking the wrong question. You can't say you have the "right" to be safe, although you might have the "expectation" to be safe.

The real question, going back to your initial post, is do you have the right to complain about it online? Of course you do, and others have the right to complain about your complaint. That is the basis of ThaiVisa.

I think you're asking the wrong question. You can't say you have the "right" to be safe, although you might have the "expectation" to be safe.

The real question, going back to your initial post, is do you have the right to complain about it online? Of course you do, and others have the right to complain about your complaint. That is the basis of ThaiVisa.

Not with insults eh..

Nope, no insults here. Everyone is always respectful on TV. I hope you're not saying I insulted anyone; I didn't mean to.

I don't think safety is a right, in Thailand or anywhere.

Honestly, i try to spend less time as i can on Thai roads, when i drive or ride a bike, i am as careful as i can.

I care for the maintainance of my bike, and i am aware that a very large number of Thais don't care at all...

Life is much cheaper here.

A good tip is not to drink with Thai men.

Is that a selfie of you (on the left) in your Avatar that brought about your concern about drinking with Thai men. Repeat after me: "Deep voice, very tall, big hands, adam's apple. long humorous bones."

I don't want to put too fine a point on this Deer Hunter, but it's a humerus bone.. The funny bone, on the end of the humerus, is merely a play on words, humerus/humorous..

If it's a choice between being crowded out by immigrants, than having to be extra careful on the roads, I will take the latter.

Didn't take long to play the immigration card, did it?

I do think everyone has the right to be safe & for others not to endanger their lives with either reckless behaviour, just plain arrogance or violence. People do have to take responsability for their actions which is where it fails here in Thailand. Quotes such as "my brakes failed", "the road was dark", & "he made me lose face" are all used in defence to say it wasn't me. They/it did it to me. Until the Thai race get rid of this blaming something or someone else, you will never be 100% safe. They are reckless & unthinking. Me attitude. Take care of yourselves is the best solution for now.

The "idiot" the OP referred to in his inaugural post was absolutely right.

If he doesn't like the additional risks associated with life in Thailand, he should leave because it isn't going to get better any time soon.

Meeting foreigners' expectations for personal safety isn't a priority for the Thai authorities.

It would require laws to be enforced and people to be prosecuted for breaking them.

The Thais won't even do that for their own people; why the hell would they do it for farangs?

It's not as if they're gonna leave Thailand and its cheap <deleted> over the issue, is it?

If it's a choice between being crowded out by immigrants, than having to be extra careful on the roads, I will take the latter.

Didn't take long to play the immigration card, did it?

I do think everyone has the right to be safe & for others not to endanger their lives with either reckless behaviour, just plain arrogance or violence. People do have to take responsability for their actions which is where it fails here in Thailand. Quotes such as "my brakes failed", "the road was dark", & "he made me lose face" are all used in defence to say it wasn't me. They/it did it to me. Until the Thai race get rid of this blaming something or someone else, you will never be 100% safe. They are reckless & unthinking. Me attitude. Take care of yourselves is the best solution for now.

The "idiot" the OP referred to in his inaugural post was absolutely right.

If he doesn't like the additional risks associated with life in Thailand, he should leave because it isn't going to get better any time soon.

Meeting foreigners' expectations for personal safety isn't a priority for the Thai authorities.

It would require laws to be enforced and people to be prosecuted for breaking them.

The Thais won't even do that for their own people; why the hell would they do it for farangs?

It's not as if they're gonna leave Thailand and its cheap <deleted> over the issue, is it?

Apart from your first sentence, I agree with your post, I have explained a lot about this topic, and I'm not going to go over anything again.

It always makes me smile when people move to another country, then complain about 'immigrants' back home.

Perhaps because in LOS we pay our own way...We are not queued up at Calais with nufink in our pockets to get to a land of streets paved with gold eh........

Despite what some impressionable people have been made to believe, immigrants to the UK have made a net contribution to the economy in the order of billions of pounds in recent years.

I'm not sure farangs have spent enough on Leo to match that.

It always makes me smile when people move to another country, then complain about 'immigrants' back home.

Perhaps because in LOS we pay our own way...We are not queued up at Calais with nufink in our pockets to get to a land of streets paved with gold eh........

They're looking for a better

life. What should they have

in their pockets; enough to

be a good little consumer?

You have a free ride in this

country - you don't pay taxes

but you use the roads, the

sanitation (such as it is), the

refuse collection, fire and

police services. Does that

mean that make you a dead

weight freeloader in Thai

eyes?

Despite what some impressionable people have been made to believe, immigrants to the UK have made a net contribution to the economy in the order of billions of pounds in recent years.

I'm not sure farangs have spent enough on Leo to match that.

Bwaaaaaaaaaah..........Gawd...........If European countries had no social security there would be no Calais, not even any migrant probs........

At least we buy Leo with our own money, not sponged money.....

Actually, the majority of immigrants from outside Europe have no entitlement to social security if they come to the UK.

You do not have the "right" to "be safe" (in quotes because they are nebulous terms), anywhere.

You have the responsibility to put yourself in situations where you are comfortable, and ensure your own safety.

and how do you ensure your safety when motorbikes are coming up behind you when you are walking along the pavement?

By paying attention to what is going on around me

You do not have the "right" to "be safe" (in quotes because they are nebulous terms), anywhere.

You have the responsibility to put yourself in situations where you are comfortable, and ensure your own safety.

and how do you ensure your safety when motorbikes are coming up behind you when you are walking along the pavement?

By paying attention to what is going on around me

By paying attention to what is going on around me. So I have supposed to see what is in front of me and behind me at the same time.

Is that what you would be saying if your wife or children were hit by one of these ? " You should be paying attention to what is going on around you."

I don't know where you from but where I come from USA you have to try to stay safe at your own account. There is nobody else that will make sure you are safe. And this goes for most of the world. Every time someone talks about installing cameras on the streets of NYC people are screaming that it interfere with their privacy and when someone is killed in that corner where the police liked to install the camera the same people screams that the police do nothing and can't even find the gun man. This is to familiar over the world. So nobody except you will cRe for your safety. Sorry man.

I don't know where you from but where I come from USA you have to try to stay safe at your own account. There is nobody else that will make sure you are safe. And this goes for most of the world. Every time someone talks about installing cameras on the streets of NYC people are screaming that it interfere with their privacy and when someone is killed in that corner where the police liked to install the camera the same people screams that the police do nothing and can't even find the gun man. This is to familiar over the world. So nobody except you will cRe for your safety. Sorry man.

what are you talking about? Where in the US is that?

in the US, and everywhere in the world there are Laws Rules and Regulations, designed to keep you safe. these laws rules and regulations are administered by dozens of agencies.

There are traffic laws, monitoring cameras, police, building codes, food and drug administration. etc etc etc

there is a trade off between safety and freedom more safety,requires more governmental intrusion in our lives and less freedom, what some call the "nanny state"

what differs between countries are the number of laws rules and regulations and the willingness of such country to enforce them

In Thailand perhaps there is less safety, but no one will argue that there is more freedom

.get puled over for speeding in the US and see what will happen to you, build a house or make alterations with out a permit, try selling food in the street in the US etc etc

Personally I like things the way they are in Thailand and I hope they will never change, I am willing to exchange a little safety for a lot more freedom.

in the US, and everywhere in the world there are Laws Rules and Regulations, designed to keep you safe. these laws rules and regulations are administered by dozens of agencies.

There are traffic laws, monitoring cameras, police, building codes, food and drug administration. etc etc etc

there is a trade off between safety and freedom more safety,requires more governmental intrusion in our lives and less freedom, what some call the "nanny state"

what differs between countries are the number of laws rules and regulations and the willingness of such country to enforce them

In Thailand perhaps there is less safety, but no one will argue that there is more freedom

.get puled over for speeding in the US and see what will happen to you, build a house or make alterations with out a permit, try selling food in the street in the US etc etc

Personally I like things the way they are in Thailand and I hope they will never change, I am willing to exchange a little safety for a lot more freedom.

Good post up to a point, but I can never condone underage children riding motor bikes, or motorbikes riding up the sidewalk.

Good post up to a point, but I can never condone underage children riding motor bikes, or motorbikes riding up the sidewalk.

Sure, me too,that and many other things, we all have our pet peeves about Thailand

But at the same time let's be careful of what we wish, we just might get it.

Nothing comes with out a price.

Saying most drivers is incorrect.Some drivers would be correct.

No, I would say most drivers, the road statistics prove that, you could say "some drivers" in ie, the UK.

Rubbish. Look carefully at the figures for road deaths during Songkran and the New Year's holiday. Look at the ages of those who die; look too at how and where they die. See any patterns emerging?

To be frank, you come across as misinformed and unduly timid. You sound like a frightened old man!

I know Possum personally, if you said that to his face I would have to restrain him. Show a little respect to members laddy eh.....coffee1.gif

Restrain him from what?

Restrain him from Thai-bashing? Or did you mean restrain him from spouting idiotic generalizations?

As I wrote earlier today, the man comes across as timid.

You guys are right to southern points. Yes us have regulations. I live in NY and we have a lot of problems with the police department. A lot of discrimination against minority. When it comes to the food and drug administration yes they do inspections but in the last months there have been several outbreaks of legionnaire disease in New York due to lack of inspections. A few people died from this in Bronks elderly living. Street vendors in NY using same glove to touch your food as they use to touch your change and for the food trucks there are a lot lacking in the sanitation aspect, seen the guys urinate in a bucket inside the truck so where are the safety there. It's all good with the regulations but they have to be followed and they are not.

Yes kids driving motorbike without protection is a bad thing. But maybe you should start with the foreign adults they don't do it and the kids see it and it's a change reaction.

Monitoring cameras, yes there are cameras in U.S. But not enough. To be totally safe you need more nanny service from the administration and that is not wanted. I personally feel safer walking the streets in Pattaya then in New York. The traffic controls could be better here in Thailand I agree but then again it would be a hot topic on this forum if foreigner were stopped more often for breaking the simples rules. Don't hear about so many food poison cases here as I hear in NY as well.

I guess in the long run most people are happy with the safety here. Personally I think the balance of freedom and safety is what's make Thailand so great.

I think that apart from the odd one or two, there have been lots of sensible posts here, it has made me change my mind about some things.

Maybe the topic title should have been "Do you have the right to EXPECT to be safe in Thailand"? Obviously that would apply to any country.

I don't expect to see ten year old motorbike riders nearly causing me to fall off my bike, or motorbikes nearly knocking me down on the sidewalk.

I also know that nothing is ever going to change, and I don't expect it to, one poster even insinuated that it would be my own fault if I got hit

by a motorbike, as I should "be aware of what is going on around me", unfortunately, I can't have a leisurely stroll along the sidewalk, but then

should I expect to?

I think that apart from the odd one or two, there have been lots of sensible posts here, it has made me change my mind about some things.

Maybe the topic title should have been "Do you have the right to EXPECT to be safe in Thailand"? Obviously that would apply to any country.

I don't expect to see ten year old motorbike riders nearly causing me to fall off my bike, or motorbikes nearly knocking me down on the sidewalk.

I also know that nothing is ever going to change, and I don't expect it to, one poster even insinuated that it would be my own fault if I got hit

by a motorbike, as I should "be aware of what is going on around me", unfortunately, I can't have a leisurely stroll along the sidewalk, but then

should I expect to?

It sounds as if "traffic safety" is your primary gripe, and not personal safety in general, i.e., from petty crime, terrorists, thugs, etc. On that note, I can see your point but honestly, it's hard for me to believe that you're dealing with this on a daily basis. I can't recall ever being threatened by a motorbike on the sidewalk (does this happen a lot where you live?). But I'm sure you're not suggesting that bikers/motorist are out to run you over intentionally. So it must be mostly negligence...but then is it really that egregious and common? I drive on Thailand roads every single day and I can say that "most" Thai drivers are courteous and are just fine. Even the bikers mostly want to stay out of your way (I drive a car). What irks me more than anything are the slow and meek drivers, so we're all looking at things from different perspectives.

Anyways, it's obvious to me that the Thais want to be safe just as much as any farang. Everybody just wants to get to their destination without getting in an accident. Can't do much about the 5% that are careless, but it's like that in most places.

should I expect to?

It sounds as if "traffic safety" is your primary gripe, and not personal safety in general, i.e., from petty crime, terrorists, thugs, etc. On that note, I can see your point but honestly, it's hard for me to believe that you're dealing with this on a daily basis. I can't recall ever being threatened by a motorbike on the sidewalk (does this happen a lot where you live?). But I'm sure you're not suggesting that bikers/motorist are out to run you over intentionally. So it must be mostly negligence...but then is it really that egregious and common? I drive on Thailand roads every single day and I can say that "most" Thai drivers are courteous and are just fine. Even the bikers mostly want to stay out of your way (I drive a car). What irks me more than anything are the slow and meek drivers, so we're all looking at things from different perspectives.

Anyways, it's obvious to me that the Thais want to be safe just as much as any farang. Everybody just wants to get to their destination without getting in an accident. Can't do much about the 5% that are careless, but it's like that in most places.

It sounds as if "traffic safety" is your primary gripe. Yes it is, along with the state of the roads, in the small town up country where I live, there are lots of underage children riding motorbikes, and it's only when I go to Bangkok, that I see the retards riding along the sidewalks and weaving in and out of pedestrians.

I have never had an accident driving here in ten years, and only one which was very minor, riding a motorbike, but no other road user was involved.

Apart from traffic, I have always felt and been safe, that is my main upside of living in Thailand. But I have to say that Transam has got it spot on with everything he says here.

Edited by possum1931

should I expect to?

Your last para...You must be joking........Thai folk haven't the first idea about safety......Thats why they give children keys to their motor bikes.....Thats why they overtake on bends......Thats why they open car doors without looking........Thats why they pull out of side roads without looking...Thats why they overtake rides indicating to turn right........Thats why my list could go on......

Very often I get warned by taxi drivers when I'm about to alight, to watch out for motor cycles coming up in the gutter to the left of the traffic.

They're looking for a better

life. What should they have

in their pockets; enough to

be a good little consumer?

You have a free ride in this

country - you don't pay taxes

but you use the roads, the

sanitation (such as it is), the

refuse collection, fire and

police services. Does that

mean that make you a dead

weight freeloader in Thai

eyes?

"You have a free ride in this country - you don't pay taxes"

The heck we don't. 'Guess you never heard of VAT ... Or the taxes & fees added to the cost of our airline tix. Or the higher entry fees foreigners pay at public attractions. Refuse collection - simply a hotel/guest house pass-through and foreigners probably pay for it to a much greater extent than do the locals!

As for police "services" ... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thanks to dual pricing, a foreigner pays more for everything maybe twice, maybe more than that, than a local does, but you say that's a "free ride" in this country?? I would say it's silly comments like that that are getting the "free ride" on this forum.

Edited by hawker9000

should I expect to?

Your last para...You must be joking........Thai folk haven't the first idea about safety......Thats why they give children keys to their motor bikes.....Thats why they overtake on bends......Thats why they open car doors without looking........Thats why they pull out of side roads without looking...Thats why they overtake rides indicating to turn right........Thats why my list could go on......

So you're saying that "most" Thais do this stuff? I respectfully disagree.

should I expect to?

So you're saying that "most" Thais do this stuff? I respectfully disagree.

I would say that most Thais do it up in the provinces.