It’s official: Phuket worst in Thailand for road accidents

Lite Beer

The flaw in your argument is thinking people will give up their personal transport for a public bus. Most of them won't.

How many Thai people do you see on the public buses that go to Phuket Town? Hardly any, they are full of tourists.

Your theory is at least twenty years out of date.

"Your theory is at least twenty years out of date." - strange. Just a matter of weeks ago I was transiting through Pattaya, on a visa run out of Bangkok.

My "theory" that "is at least twenty years out of date" seems to be doing well for the Pattaya tourism industry, the drivers, and the passangers, of which was made up of locals, expats, and tourists.

Meanwhile, Phuekt has terrible road death statistics and no transport system in sight.

Perhaps your "theory" on what transport a "world class tourist destination" should provide is "twenty years out of date." biggrin.png

Funny how you never actually directly refute my statement.

If you don't agree with my post, then you believe that in Phuket, people will abandon their cars and motorbikes to queue at bus-stops, or, pay for taxis.

Ain't ever going to happen.

Why bring up Pattaya? We are talking about Phuket.

You obviously didn't see that I espoused no theory whatsoever, including what "transport a world class tourist destination should provide".

Putting your own words in other peoples mouth is still your modus operandum, I see.

Please don't do it to me again.

Edited by KarenBravo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flaw in your argument is thinking people will give up their personal transport for a public bus. Most of them won't.

How many Thai people do you see on the public buses that go to Phuket Town? Hardly any, they are full of tourists.

Your theory is at least twenty years out of date.

"Your theory is at least twenty years out of date." - strange. Just a matter of weeks ago I was transiting through Pattaya, on a visa run out of Bangkok.

My "theory" that "is at least twenty years out of date" seems to be doing well for the Pattaya tourism industry, the drivers, and the passangers, of which was made up of locals, expats, and tourists.

Meanwhile, Phuekt has terrible road death statistics and no transport system in sight.

Perhaps your "theory" on what transport a "world class tourist destination" should provide is "twenty years out of date." biggrin.png

Funny how you never actually directly refute my statement.

If you don't agree with my post, then you believe that in Phuket, people will abandon their cars and motorbikes to queue at bus-stops, or, pay for taxis.

Ain't ever going to happen.

Why bring up Pattaya? We are talking about Phuket.

You obviously didn't see that I espoused no theory whatsoever, including what "transport a world class tourist destination should provide".

Putting your own words in other peoples mouth is still your modus operandum, I see.

Please don't do it to me again.

"The flaw in your argument is thinking people" that do not give up their vehicle will not use affordable public transport, at all.

I mention Pattaya because they have an affordable, 27/7 transport system, and in my opinion, Phuket could do with a similar system. It's been working well there for years, whilst Phuket has had nothing for years.

Firstly, a public tansport system would take a lot of tourists, and their hire car / bike, off the road. That's a lot of traffic off Phuket's roads, instantly. How many of them drive / ride whilst intoxicated here, with tragic consequences.

As an expat, I would keep my motorbike, but would certainly use the transport system when consuming alcohol, and where parking is a problem. I think most expats would welcome the reduction in risk to injury and / or death and /or prosecution, for a few baht journey, after a night out, or even after only a few drinks.

I think your comments are directed towards Thai's, and their reluctance to spend to spend 1 baht, if they do not have to. Like I said, if a baht bus system was comparable to gasoline / parking costs, plus, less risk to themselves as well, I think Thai's would use the system in the main tourist areas as well, just like they do in Pattaya..

When was the last time you were in Pattaya, KB?

I have never queued for a baht bus in Pattaya at any type of "bus stop" and they completely do away with the need to hire a taxi, except to the airport. Waiting times can be anything from a matter of seconds, to 2 to 3 minutes. I've never really waited longer than that.

There are Pattaya - Jomtiem Beach - Pattaya baht buses. These are well used by locals, expats and tourists. I can't see why they wouldn't be used on Phuket by the same.