Did Anybody Have Similar Problem With Windows 10 When Resetting?

lostinisaan

Hello and Sawasdee khrap,

I've tried Windows 10 on my older DELL notebook and had many programs which didn't work. So I rolled the system back and all I have is problem over problem.

I thought okay, let's use Acronis and restore it, which I already did twice.

One time did my MS office 2013 not function and no way to get it back. ( genuine)

The next time I had problems with the sound, no way to update the driver, or anything else. Now I'm runnung Acronis again and hope it will turn out well.

If not, I'll reformat my drive and put all programs on. Did anybody experience similar things when going back to your old system? U had(have) Windows 7, Ultimate, the 32 but version and really burned out with fever and a nasty flu.

Thanks a lot in advance. wai2.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I upgraded from Win7 Ultimate x64 to Win10 Pro about a week ago. The only problem I had was needing a new driver for my video card. I have a Sony Vaio. I've found some strange things, but all of them so far have just been differences of how to do things between Win7 and Win10. They were all easy to figure out so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

For what it is worth which might not be anything I upgraded Windows 7 to 10 on my HP. No problem loading and the system now runs like a dream. Anyone who operates Windows 8 needs to upgrade to 10 ASAP.

Keep your fingers double crossed. After the recent update the Desktop was totally changed and the graphics were not as good. Turned the machine off and next day it started with the first Desktop and the graphics back to normal so can expect strange things to happen. This is on a 2 month old computer.

For what it is worth which might not be anything I upgraded Windows 7 to 10 on my HP. No problem loading and the system now runs like a dream. Anyone who operates Windows 8 needs to upgrade to 10 ASAP.

Agreed. However, updating from win7 will surprise many people, imo.

I have upgraded my 5 year old HP laptop from Win 7 to 10 without any problems. But if there was a problem the laptop comes with a restore from a separate partition on the hard drive to go back to Win 7. I am surprised that the OP's Dell did not have that.

Have a Toshiba notebook with Win 8.1 on it but no free upgrade for it yet sad.png

My desktop PC with Win 7 has received the free upgrade to Win 10 but I have not yet installed. Damn, I am slack but I still enjoy using Windows 7. The upgrade to the laptop was in the hope that it may operate quicker. Same thinking for the notebook when the free upgrade arrives.

I have backed up all the data on all my systems to a portable desktop hard drive prior to the Win 10 upgrade.

MS Win 10 has system restore turned off as a default position. Not sure what the thinking behind that was - similar to turning off file extensions some time back. sad.png I turned system restore back on and set a new restore point when the upgrade was installed.

Just my two bobs worth wai.gif

My Dell laptop is only 3 yr old and I had big problems after installing Windows 10 so I called Dell last week and they have no plan to support my laptop for Windows 10. I suspect your situation is the same. Microsoft gives you 30 days to switch back to older system which I did and it seems hat all of my files are intact but a backup is always smart thing to do. Dell notified only those whose computers would be supported but sent nothing to everyone else. Next time I doubt I will buy a Dell.

I bought a new PC and found that ACRONIS did not work on it, defeating the whole purpose of the program.

So I've gone back to using GHOST - my own start-up CD with the basic GHOST 11 only, not with all the rubbish extras.

I've been using the latest version of Acronis since 2013 and their tech support have helped me over a couple of "teething" problems. The only issue I find now is that the backup verify function fails every time on my system for some unknown reason related to my target backups being on external USB 2 and 3 drives.. It's been the same now through 2 versions (2014 & 2015) and I've spent a lot of time with their support staff to no avail. The backups restore fine and that's the biggest issue. At least this year they have promised me a free upgrade to ATI 2016 for my troubles and hopefully the verify will be worthwhile on that version.

I find the product quite good. I'm interested to know why your Acronis backup app fail to deliver?

Re Win 10: As I have posted elsewhere I'm gonna wait a while as it seems far too many are reporting problems (and there's the privacy issue also). I have way too many apps that I use regularly to be stuffed around as I was with Win 8.0 when I tried to be an early adopter of that one.

Edited by avander

Re Win 10: As I have posted elsewhere I'm gonna wait a while as it seems far too many are reporting problems (and there's the privacy issue also). I have way too many apps that I use regularly to be stuffed around as I was with Win 8.0 when I tried to be an early adopter of that one.

Deal with "privacy" at installation - select Custom NOT Express and you can turn on and off what you wish. Otherwise, after installation, they can be accessed via the Settings menu on the start menu, and then selecting Privacy from the pop-up.

HTH with privacy issues wai.gif

Hi,

I too have a Dell 4 year old laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit installed. Not only did Windows 10 not install properly, but it completely destroyed my Windows 7. Luckily I had a backup but when I installed this I had to reactivate the account. The legitimate Product Key failed to work so I contacted Microsoft who told me that this Key was no longer usable as it had been blocked by the manufacturer i.e. Dell. She suggested I contact them, which I did, but they were most unhelpful saying that they no longer supported my laptop as it was too old!!!

I now have an unregistered copy of Windows 7 Ultimate which appears to work ok and I shall continue to use it until the laptop dies wjthout feeling at all guilty. I shall never buy Dell again!!!!

PS I also have a brand new Acer PC with Windows 10 which works beautifully :-)

Fortunate you have Windows 10, I was sent an email from Microsoft informing me they will send me a link to instal Windows 10, I have Windows 8.1 but still nothing from Microsoft about my Free Upgrade ?

Please just click on that link, choose the right system download it and all is fine.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I have upgraded my 5 year old HP laptop from Win 7 to 10 without any problems. But if there was a problem the laptop comes with a restore from a separate partition on the hard drive to go back to Win 7. I am surprised that the OP's Dell did not have that.

Have a Toshiba notebook with Win 8.1 on it but no free upgrade for it yet sad.png

My desktop PC with Win 7 has received the free upgrade to Win 10 but I have not yet installed. Damn, I am slack but I still enjoy using Windows 7. The upgrade to the laptop was in the hope that it may operate quicker. Same thinking for the notebook when the free upgrade arrives.

I have backed up all the data on all my systems to a portable desktop hard drive prior to the Win 10 upgrade.

MS Win 10 has system restore turned off as a default position. Not sure what the thinking behind that was - similar to turning off file extensions some time back. sad.png I turned system restore back on and set a new restore point when the upgrade was installed.

Just my two bobs worth wai.gif

You can upgrade whenever you want to. It's a damn lie that you have to make a sort of reservation.....

Edited by lostinisaan

Hi,

I too have a Dell 4 year old laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit installed. Not only did Windows 10 not install properly, but it completely destroyed my Windows 7. Luckily I had a backup but when I installed this I had to reactivate the account. The legitimate Product Key failed to work so I contacted Microsoft who told me that this Key was no longer usable as it had been blocked by the manufacturer i.e. Dell. She suggested I contact them, which I did, but they were most unhelpful saying that they no longer supported my laptop as it was too old!!!

I now have an unregistered copy of Windows 7 Ultimate which appears to work ok and I shall continue to use it until the laptop dies wjthout feeling at all guilty. I shall never buy Dell again!!!!

OMG. I can only imagine how much time you must have wasted to get it going. Freaking Microsoft!!!

I've got all W 7 systems, including two school computers on an external and will be back in 40 minutes, if there's a problem.

I would never run illegal copies and use stuff from the bay where the Pirates go for a swim and activate a copy that works forever like a charm.

But all people at my school do so and they showed me things you wouldn't believe.....but it's illegal......thumbsup.gif

Fortunate you have Windows 10, I was sent an email from Microsoft informing me they will send me a link to instal Windows 10, I have Windows 8.1 but still nothing from Microsoft about my Free Upgrade ?

@Jamie2009, don't cry. Go the the Microsoft website and just click the link for downloading Widows 10; select the correct 32 or 64 bit system. I hear mostly good stories on upgrading, but I read also a lady that got completely locked with an un-usalbe computer after an upgrade trial. success but don't tell me, I did t not warn you. For me it is still to early to upgrade, wait some months till W10 has improved .

I bought a new PC and found that ACRONIS did not work on it, defeating the whole purpose of the program.

So I've gone back to using GHOST - my own start-up CD with the basic GHOST 11 only, not with all the rubbish extras.

If you're using Acronis, ( I prefer the 2014 version), you should create a bootable CD, not a memory stick. Then you boot from CD and you come to Acronis.

And you have to make sure that it's activated.Please see lower left corner of attached image.

Such a CD works for 64 and 32 bit versions.

post-158336-0-69603800-1441021208_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

@Jamie2009, don't cry. Go the the Microsoft website and just click the link for downloading Widows 10; select the correct 32 or 64 bit system. I hear mostly good stories on upgrading, but I read also a lady that got completely locked with an un-usalbe computer after an upgrade trial. success but don't tell me, I did t not warn you. For me it is still to early to upgrade, wait some months till W10 has improved .

Here we go: http://www.microsoft...nload/windows10

Hi,

I would recommend Acer. I have had a few laptops from them having had Compaq, Lenovo and a few others all of which disappointed me. Like you my Windows 10 works beautifully on my Acer and it is a 5 years old 64bit

Hi,

I would recommend Acer. I have had a few laptops from them having had Compaq, Lenovo and a few others all of which disappointed me. Like you my Windows 10 works beautifully on my Acer and it is a 5 years old 64bit
I bought an Acer in June with 8.1. Just getting used to 8.1 when 10 downloaded. After the download I lost internet when using wifi. Wifi works but just no internet. My phone and work pc are connected to the same wifi and have no problems. Got in touch with MS tech team who suggested making sure flight mode was off, duh, make sure wifi is on, duh, sit closer to the router, duh. Solved the problem myself. Restored 8.1. I'll wait a couple of months until they iron out all the bugs.

Windows 7 working just fine for me.

However, when I get a serious crash (which is only a matter of time on windows), I will most likely install windows 10....but not while everything is working perfectly well. I read in a forum, earlier today, of some issues using a VPN with windows 10. I would like to hear more about that. Good reason to wait.

Edited by slipperylobster

You don't need to wait for Microsoft, you can install Windows 10 from here:

I installed Windows 10 Pro on two computers using the above link without any problems. You don't have to create installation media, nor do you need a product key as long as you have an authentic copy of Windows 8.

Besides a couple of minor glitches, such as uninstalling and reinstalling my anti-virus program and upgrading a couple of drivers, I'm quite pleased with 10.

I have a Dell Inspiron Notebook and I updated to my Windows from 8.1 to Windows 10 just 2 weeks ago. The only problem I had was the sound. I could not play any music or watch video clips, no sound at all.

After some investigation and reading some websites, I found there is a problem with the sound driver. So I visited Dell website on the page on driver support page, and downloaded the newer version of sound driver, and installed it. Then everything was fine and I have had no more problems. I think Windows 10 is much better than Windows 8.1. Quite happy with it now.