Dual citizenship - my visa is running out soon! Help

I have dual citizenship.

I entered Thailand with my Swedish passport, and got a non immigrant category b visa, single entry 90 days.

While in Thailand, I received my Thai passport. I "claimed" back my citizenship. So now I have a Thai ID card and a Thai passport!

My visa is running out next Friday, on the 4th of September. And I do not wish to pay 500 baht per day for overstay.

I've gone to the Immigrant Division, visa run agencies, spoke with the Swedish Embassy, everyone tells me different of course (it's Thailand .. durh)

Swedish Embassy tells me I have to leave the country with my Swedish passport and visa, and re-enter with my Thai passport, to be able to stay for as long as I want as a Thai citizen. That sounds legit to me but then I'm not sure. As the Thai Embassy in Denmark (where I came from before going to Thailand) says The Immigration will handle my visa for me. But as I was there a few days ago applying for my passport, I went there to speak with them. They said I could just let my visa run out and just stay and do nothing about my two passport .. I believe that's not true.

The travel agencies do not wish to take me on their "visa run" trip. Because they will not issue two DIFFERENT passport at the Cambodian border. She even called and asked. Told me they will only stamp one passport.

Tho she told me I could fly out of the country and use my two different passports. But that I had to stay one night in Cambodia. But that's 3000 baht I don't have at the moment.

My question now is, if I can take the bus from Ekkamai to the Cambodian border myself, which will cost only 200 baht ish. Much cheaper. Or do i HAVE to fly out of the country and stay one night?

Are there any other options?! I'm running out of time, please help me.

Nemo

• Like 1

You make the switch with air travel - doing by land may be possible with officials help but it is not normal as both countries check for stamps in your passport prior to allowing entry. By air this is not an issue - the only issue will be you not having a departure card on your Thai passport (as normal travel) but you can explain your last departure was with a foreign passport (but best to keep it out of sight as some would want to use for entry if you do not stand your ground - they must allow entry to you as a Thai by law so most people have little or no problems at airport where it happens often - but at land crossing most do not understand and it can be total refusal of entry). You do not have to spend any amount of time outside of Thailand (but return flights are normally too close in time to make connection).

So it has to be by air and not by land ...

I have to leave Thailand with my Swedish passport, the one I entered with and have visa on.

And my plan was to enter Cambodia with my Thai passport, and leave with it as well. And then at last

enter Thailand again with my Thai passport.

You're absolutely sure I can't do this by myself with bus?

I was planning not to show or mention my Thai passport when I exit Thailand with my Swedish.

Cambodia will not allow passport entry without a Thai exit stamp. There have been reports of one officer doing for people here if you want to search but that would require contact with him on a day when he was working - suspect he places a Thai exit stamp in both your passports to allow entry into Cambodia but not sure.

• Like 1

So it has to be by air and not by land ...

I have to leave Thailand with my Swedish passport, the one I entered with and have visa on.

And my plan was to enter Cambodia with my Thai passport, and leave with it as well. And then at last

enter Thailand again with my Thai passport.

You're absolutely sure I can't do this by myself with bus?

I was planning not to show or mention my Thai passport when I exit Thailand with my Swedish.

I don't know this for sure but I believe, that if you need more time, you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay at an immigration office as you are a Thai citizen. Maybe someone else can clarify for you.

As pointed out by lopburi3 the issue is that the country you enter want to see an exit stamp from the country you left. If Cambodia don't let you enter with your Thai passport you'll have to enter and exit using your Swedish passport. When you get to the Thai border present your Thai passport but the IO might insists that you enter using your Swedish passport, because of the exit stamp, in which case you'll be given a 15 day visa exempt stay.

If I were you I would give your plan a try and if it doesn't work look into getting an extension of stay or fly out and in.

"They said I could just let my visa run out and just stay and do nothing about my two passport .. I believe that's not true. "

You are a Thai citizen so you can legally stay here as long as you want. As long as, in the future, you always exit and enter Thailand using your Thai passport there shouldn't be any ramifications. But the best option is to exit and re-enter as a Thai.

Edited by elviajero

Well, I don't have to enter Cambodia with my Thai passport, could enter with my Swedish passport, no problem.

I've heard about the 1 year extension. I've just been listening to the Swedish Embassy and their advice so far. But giving it another try tomorrow, when they open again, to ask and get things more clear on what to do.

I know I have the same right as a Thai citizen from here on out since I got a Thai passport. But I still entered with my Swedish passport and have a visa registered here at the moment. Need to do something about that first. Cause I'm getting very scared of overstaying my visa, if it doesn't get right.

My question still remains tho, if I can do this all by myself taking a bus from Ekkamai to the Cambodian border, or HAVE to fly out. Flying out will cost more than the bus, and I'm currently unemployed and have been for the last month.

Thanks for the fast advice though, appreciated.

Nemo

Well, I don't have to enter Cambodia with my Thai passport, could enter with my Swedish passport, no problem.

I've heard about the 1 year extension. I've just been listening to the Swedish Embassy and their advice so far. But giving it another try tomorrow, when they open again, to ask and get things more clear on what to do.

I know I have the same right as a Thai citizen from here on out since I got a Thai passport. But I still entered with my Swedish passport and have a visa registered here at the moment. Need to do something about that first. Cause I'm getting very scared of overstaying my visa, if it doesn't get right.

My question still remains tho, if I can do this all by myself taking a bus from Ekkamai to the Cambodian border, or HAVE to fly out. Flying out will cost more than the bus, and I'm currently unemployed and have been for the last month.

Thanks for the fast advice though, appreciated.

Nemo

You have little or no chance of being able to swap passports at a land border.

You have two realistic options.

1. Ask for a one year extension of stay at an immigration office. Take proof of your being Thai.

2. Fly out as others here have suggested.

You are unlikely to receive good Thai immigration advice from the Swedish Embassy !

whistling.gif You entered country on your Swedish passport.

As silly as it my seem you, you must exit Thailand on your Swedish passport as that is the one you entered on.

You are not a person to the immigration authorities, you are a passport/visa to them.

A passport/visa has entered Thailand, and the same passport/visa must exit Thailand.

Just be sure they stamp your Swedish passport with an exit stamp.... then officially you are gone from Thailand

Do this by air, as the immigration officials will have seen it before.

Wait one night in a neighboring country.....then return using your valid Thai passport.

If you are Thai, and have a valid Thai passport they can not stop a Thai returning to his or her home country with a valid legal passport.. A Thai does not need a visa to enter Thailand with a valid passport.

In fact, at the international airport now they have automatic entrance gates for Thai passport holders that allow Thais to enter without ever seeing a Thai immigration officer when they enter Thailand.

But since you entered on your Swedish passport with a visa.... you have to exit as a Swede first to clear that entrance with immigration.

It is silly, but it is the law.

Nobody ever said that government laws were logical.

That probably is as true in Sweden as it is in Thailand.

• Like 1

You seem to misunderstand - both countries will want to see entry/exit stamps. You can enter Cambodia with your Swedish passport fine but you can not then exit using the Thai passport because you would not have a legal entry on it.

That's what I'm saying. I want and will leave Thailand with my Swedish passport.

Always enter and exit with the same passport : )

Alright. Sounds easy doing it by air, with the automatic entrance gate and all. And that it has been made before me, so hopefully when I do it, I won't stumble across any problems at the airport.

This has been all confusing to me so far, never really traveled alone before.

And everyone has been giving me different information, so that made it more confusing. Hope you guys could understand that.

I didn't know where else to turn, that's why I called Swedish Embassy and asked for their advice! :P

I think I got it now. I will try getting the Immigration Office to give me a 1 year extension, and if they can't help me. I'll fly out asap.

Thanks again, for all the help! You guys are awesome

One year extension is no problem and they are happy to issue those to Thai on foreign passport entry. Cost will be 1,900 baht as any extension and if you travel you will require a re-entry permit (unless you take that travel as an opportunity to return on Thai passport).

• Like 1

lopburi3 ;

I am not misunderstanding anything I think. I do understand that if I leave Thailand with my Swedish passport (which I HAVE to because of my VISA on it) I'll then have to enter Cambodia with the Swedish as well because the exit stamp from Thailand.

I can definetly do 1,900 baht for a 1 year extension.

I'm flying to Canada tho in 2 months from now, will that then be a problem? Or do I just fly out and then return and enter with my Thai passport?

nowretired ;

Airasia seems to be the cheapest I can find, tho they fly out from Don Mueang Airport and right now I live very close to

Suvarnabhumi Airport, but Cambodia Angkor Air and Bangkok Airways are expensive or don't fly out the dates I need.

Airasia flies for 3100 baht ish.

Edited by nem0z

I can definetly do 1,900 baht for a 1 year extension.

I'm flying to Canada tho in 2 months from now, will that then be a problem? Or do I just fly out and then return and enter with my Thai passport?

No problem - just do not get a re-entry permit as you will not need it - and on return use your Thai passport for entry. As said you may have to explain lack of a departure card to officer on return if unable to use automated gates.

• Like 1

nowretired ;

Airasia seems to be the cheapest I can find, tho they fly out from Don Mueang Airport and right now I live very close to

Suvarnabhumi Airport, but Cambodia Angkor Air and Bangkok Airways are expensive or don't fly out the dates I need.

Airasia flies for 3100 baht ish.

Why don't you fly Don Mueang to Kuala Lumpur on AirAsia? Many flights per day, very possible to fly there in morning fly back in the evening. For example:

TOTAL THB
DEPART
AK 881
  • DMK
  • KUL
1000, 02 Sep 20151305, 02 Sep 2015
Fare, taxes and fees
1,290.00 THB
RETURN
AK 888
  • KUL
  • DMK
1845, 02 Sep 20151950, 02 Sep 2015
Fare, taxes and fees
948.60 THB
TOTAL THB
  • Like 2

She can extend for 1,900 baht and then do the passport switch during her scheduled trip in two months so no need for a special trip.

True, but at the cost of queuing and waiting at immigration for who knows how long. Also, in my admittedly limited experience, Thais are not always treated wonderfully when they show up at the immigration office to do the one year extension for being Thai. Quite the opposite for my dual Thai-US friend. The attitude seemed to be that my dual national friend was wasting the time and patience of the immigration officer. This particular officer wanted to see her tabian baan, which my friend did not have with her. Having a US passport and Thai ID card was not sufficient for this officer. It was an unpleasant and ultimately unsuccessful experience. If you don't go to the immigration office things won't go wrong at the immigration office. If I could accomplish what I wanted for an extra 400 Baht and avoid having to deal with immigration I would leap at the opportunity.

You're a thai citizen now, I dont think you will pay an overstay fine. jUst use the thai passport when exiting, simple.

That would leave her last entry into Thailand in a strange state in the immigration computers: she would have entered Thailand on a US passport and never left. What the potential problems arising from that are, I don't know. I imagine problems would ensue if she ever tried to enter Thailand on her US passport in the future (but since she would probably enter on her Thai passport that issue might not arise). Also, if Thai immigration wanted to they could compile a list of people who have overstayed their permissions to stay in the country by looking at data in the immigration computers. I suppose they don't do this, but they could, in which case she could end up on such a list. No idea what the consequences would be. Personally, would rather be safe than sorry and conclude her last entry into Thailand in a proper manner by exiting the country using her US passport.

• Like 1

I do remember when I was at Immigration last time and explained my situation, the officer gave me a form to fill for a 7 day extension. I decided then to move over to the second officer, and he/she (couldn't tell the sex) told me I could just stay even tho I entered on my Swedish passport and with my visa.

I don't have my tabien baan with me, it's with my gradma and she lives far up north. But I do have a Thai ID card, but if that might not be enough ...

Just wanna do this as smooth and cheap as possible .. Been working on this problem for a month now, and I'm running out of time : (

You're a thai citizen now, I dont think you will pay an overstay fine. jUst use the thai passport when exiting, simple.

That would leave her last entry into Thailand in a strange state in the immigration computers: she would have entered Thailand on a US passport and never left. What the potential problems arising from that are, I don't know. I imagine problems would ensue if she ever tried to enter Thailand on her US passport in the future (but since she would probably enter on her Thai passport that issue might not arise). Also, if Thai immigration wanted to they could compile a list of people who have overstayed their permissions to stay in the country by looking at data in the immigration computers. I suppose they don't do this, but they could, in which case she could end up on such a list. No idea what the consequences would be. Personally, would rather be safe than sorry and conclude her last entry into Thailand in a proper manner by exiting the country using her US passport.

I agree with skatewash, I wan't to do this by the rules. And not get into more problems now or in the future. If I risk ending on a overstay list, and not be able to enter Thailand in the future, then I rather want to spend money and time doing it right.

Edited by nem0z
  • Like 1

You can always enter Thailand - you are Thai. But yes you should take care of everything within the laws. A copy of home ledger is normally required to prove residence (what office handles you depends on your home). So if you are registered as living upcountry that is where you should apply for extension of stay (the immigration office serving that province).

So if that presents a problem at trip to Malaysia to enter as Thai might be a better plan - and have it out of the way.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

Jeez ..

I have a copy of my tabien baan I'm registered in, if that would be enough. Don't have the actual address book with me here in Bangkok.

Are you saying I have to travel up to Nong Bua Lamphu to apply for my extension there? I was just there : (

I agree with skatewash, I wan't to do this by the rules. And not get into more problems now or in the future. If I risk ending on a overstay list, and not be able to enter Thailand in the future, then I rather want to spend money and time doing it right.

If you speak Thai, I would be inclined to phone the immigration office you plan to use and inquire about what documentation is required to apply for the extension of stay for a Thai national. Particularly, is a tabian baan necessary? Does it have to the original, or can it be a copy signed by the head of household? Getting an answer to that question before you go to the office would potentially (depending on the answer) give you greater confidence in the ultimate success of your application for such an extension.

Best wishes on bringing this to a good conclusion. Once you re-enter Thailand on your Thai passport you'll be golden! I envy you your dual national status ;-) You can take advantage of that status when you travel. Often you will be treated more favorably when you travel on one passport as opposed to the other. This link describes a step-by-step way to take advantage of being a dual national when you travel by air: http://www.stylehiclub.com/cruising-flying/step-step-guide-to-traveling-with-two-passports/ For example, if you use your Swedish passport to travel to Canada you will not need a visa, and then you could use your Thai passport to travel back to Thailand.

I dont think this is true,

a couple of years ago a friend of my wife's who also has dual US/Thai citizenship and passports, rather than use the usual process and enter Thailand with her Thai Passport, entered Thailand with her US passport ,

She stayed longer than the thirty days thinking that she was safe since she was Thai, upon departure she had to pay an overstay fine at the airport.

Perhaps she could have fought it , but it would have meant missing her flight at a considerably higher cost than the overstay fine.

• Like 1

Wow, great information. Appreciated.

I speak very little Thai unfortunately, so I won't be able to communicate well with the immigration office without a translator.

I'll have someone call tomorrow to the Immigration Office and ask.

Great news for me about Canada, not needing a visa! : )

I just hope my two different last names on my two different passport won't be an issue as well lols

But I think having a dual citizenship will be great for my travels. Just need to learn a little bit more about it, as travelling alone is all new to me.

Thank you!

Jeez ..

I have a copy of my tabien baan I'm registered in, if that would be enough. Don't have the actual address book with me here in Bangkok.

Are you saying I have to travel up to Nong Bua Lamphu to apply for my extension there? I was just there : (

I can't find anything that says you need the original or copy of Tabien Baan for apply for this extension. Just proof that you are or were Thai. Your passport and ID card do that.

I assume the office you should use for the extension is the office in the area of the address you gave when you entered Thailand. But double check by phone first.