Where to get first O-A in the US?

Been in and out of Thailand for years on various visas and now married to Thai. But we're now retired and getting ready to move permanently. Based on advice, I'll go for the O-A retirement visa. We are currently near Chicago, but after reading several posts it sounds like mailing to the DC embassy may be more convenient. Does anyone have recent experience with which embassy or consulate is providing the most timely and convenient service?

Many Thanks!

I can't help with the best place to apply but I think you'd be better to get a single entry 'O' (not 'O-A') based on being married or over 50. That will give you 90 days when you first enter Thailand. During the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 1 year extension. That extension can then be renewed every year thereafter.

You can go for an 'O-A' which would give you a 1 year stay. At the end of that year you can apply for a 1 year extension. If you want to delay the extension further you can exit and re-enter just before the end of the first year stay and will be given another 1 year stay. After that you would need start the 1 year extensions or get another visa.

• Like 2

I can't help with the best place to apply but I think you'd be better to get a single entry 'O' (not 'O-A') based on being married or over 50. That will give you 90 days when you first enter Thailand. During the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 1 year extension. That extension can then be renewed every year thereafter.

You can go for an 'O-A' which would give you a 1 year stay. At the end of that year you can apply for a 1 year extension. If you want to delay the extension further you can exit and re-enter just before the end of the first year stay and will be given another 1 year stay. After that you would need start the 1 year extensions or get another visa.

I have had good service obtaining an non imm o-a via the Thai Consulate in LA. I think that if you follow the website instructions for wherever you choose to go to obtain the visa, you should have no problems.

We spend half our time in Thailand and I find obtaining a new non imm o-a visa each year to be relatively painless. Again, I read the requirements for the particular consulate/embassy that I will be dealing with, and put all the copies/forms/photos etc in the exact order that the consulate/embassy lists, and the process takes two weeks maximum.

One advantage of going the non imm o-a route is that you don't have to worry about funds in Thailand, a US Embassy letter or dealing with Thai immigration (other than the relatively painless 90 day reporting) for almost two years if you work things right.

• Like 2

There is/was a very helpful farang working at the LA Consulate, who will happily review your application and make suggestions if needed. I believe he is stll there.

No idea why anyone would advise you to get a non-o instead of the o-a, which is by far a better deal. Nearly 2 years in-country without having to apply to an IO, except for a re-entry permit if you want to leave and come back after the 'enter by'

• Like 2

When I applied for mine living in the Houston area, I of course contacted the Houston consulate. I was informed only the Embassy in DC does the "Retirement" visa. One year multi entry. It was fairly painless. Took about 6 weeks because the gov changed hands during my application. When they ask for finances they don't want to see any of your records. They want an original letter from your bank. My bank branch Wells Fargo couldn't do it, the letters are written at a special office, that was the only problem. For your background check, just go to your local law enforcement office and get a letter that states they have no problem with you, make sure they sign and stamp it. Actually quite simple. The medical is a snap unless you have third stage syphilis, its on the list.

Hope that helps some.

• Like 2

Good luck Manassas, I also live near Chicago, am retired, and would be looking to do exactly what you are doing if it weren't for one thing. My wife is Irish American, not Thai, and is definitely not looking to move to Thailand. Don't know why she can't see the same attractions I do.

• Like 2

I believe there are 4 places hat you can get the O-A "retirement" visa at in the U.S. now, depending on where you live.

I believe the 4 locations are New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and of course the Thai embassy in Washington D.C.

None of these paces are known as "friendly" locations to try to get a visa, so make sure you have all your T's dotted and your i's zipped. when you apply.

I did my O-A by mail through Los Angeles. I am/was in the same situation as you-married to a Thai. I sent EXACTLY what they required. We also brought my 83 year old mother. i did the same for her except she could not prove the 800K needed, nor the income. I wrote a letter included with our applications saying we (my wife and I) would be financially responsible for her. As I remember it was about a month later I got our passports back with visas for both of us. ABSOLUTELY SIMPLE and painless.

Now, here's the kicker. We got Multiple entry Visas, as that was the only way they would do it. No more single entry allowed through them. In Thailand, we did our 90 day reporting and when the first year was up, I went to immigration to find out how to get a new visa. They said "no problem, just go over the boarder and come back. You get another year". We're in Chiang Rai, so that is very easy. Everyone I spoke with said this was not possible. I had to get a new visa. I again went to immigration to double check. I got the same response. So, off we went and did a boarder run. Now, we're on our second year staying here on just the visa we got from L.A. I don't know how it will go next year, but no matter what, it's really not hard.

Like anything, if the instructions ask for A, B, and C, you send A, B and C. Make it clear and organized and you should have no trouble.

PM me if I can answer any questions.

Good luck.

I had the same experience, dealing with the LA Thai Consulate via the mail. The first year I applied for the non imm o-a I called and talked to the falang at the LA Thai Consulate (he is still there) and he was very kind and helpful and answered all my questions.

Again, to echo the above response, provide them what they ask for, in the order that they ask for it and the process is easy.

• Like 1

I think I remember last time I went to the Chicago web site it had a list of states they serviced. It had AR (my home state) listed as one. Maybe it's regional where you can only apply at certain consulates according to where you live?

For me, the O-A will be the way I go as you can get 2 years out of it and I know I will be back home at least every 2 years to see my family and friends and just renew it. Then only 90 day reports! Not worried about the med check or police report and can leave my money in the US. I believe that to be Spokane Al's reasoning also as he and his wife come back to US regularly.

• Like 1

No idea why anyone would advise you to get a non-o instead of the o-a, which is by far a better deal. Nearly 2 years in-country without having to apply to an IO, except for a re-entry permit if you want to leave and come back after the 'enter by'

Because the OP said he was moving here permanently so at some point he will have to start 1 year extensions unless he wants to get a new visa in the US every 1 to 2 years. Also, the application requirements for an 'O' are less than an 'O-A' and cheaper. A single entry 'O' is $80 against $200 for an 'O-A'.

I appreciate that an 'O-A' means you could delay getting an extension for up to 2 years but other than that I don't see that it's a "far better deal" deal for someone planning to live here. Extensions are easy to get.

Nothing wrong with getting an 'O-A' it just wouldn't be my choice.

• Like 1

I used the Thai Embassy in LA. Very efficient, and I agree that there was a falang, married to a Thai lady, that worked there. He was very helpful. Actually answered his own phone when you called. Definitely go with the O-A. Just before your year is up, leave the country for a day, come back, and get another year. Use the Visa expiration date as your guide as to when you must do this.

You do not need to go to the US every year to renew your Visa just because you have an "O-A". After your 2 years here, (almost), on the "O-A", you then just get your 1 year extensions each year at your regular Thai Immigration Office where you do your 90 day reports. They will stamp it with "Retirement". Many will tell you that it is not a "Retirement Visa", but is an extension. Six of one, half dozen of another. Works the same.

See you soon.....

Edited by stoli

I'll echo what everyone else has said so far (well, mostly everyone.) Get the O-A visa.

I went in person to the LA Consulate to process mine and the gentleman that everyone speaks highly of is a really, really nice guy. Very helpful.

I have obtained 60 days entries from both Los Angeles and Chicago in the past 18 months and LA was definitely the easier of the two. I made my first trip to Thailand, in Dec 2013, on a 30 day stamp and stayed 3 weeks. When I got back to my home in Missouri, the temperature was 9 degrees and there was 10 inches of snow. I was still employeed at the time, but I decided to take early retirement and return to Thailand. Took my accumulated vacation to cover most of January and worked the last Friday of the month, to obtain company additional company benefits. During this time, I finalized my fight details for 60 stay. I called the LA Thai consulate and inquired about getting a visa in person. Was told I could apply and receive visa next afternoon. So I flew into LA, Feb 9, two days early to make consulate visits, prior to my LA departure. I did it this way because I was worried that mail service delivery might be delayed for home delivery. Everything went as planned. I decided to return to Thailand in July. for another 60 days. This time I decide to drive the 5 hour trip to Chicago and apply in person. It seemed like a good road trip, after 4th of July. Chicago and LA websites both offer two day service. I planned to leave home at 3 am, arrive well before lunch, stay overnight, pickup next day and go home. On arrival, submitted the required paperwork and included all the information that I had used in LA. Clerk says he needs to see airline ticket with return date and also letter from bank or copy of latest bank statement for proof of finances. Having neither with me, I had to call my bank to email a copy to the consulate and find WiFi service to download my flight information from Expedia. After getting this done, he accepted my paperwork and said come back in 2 days and pick up. I remarked that website said 2 day service. He said "that's right, tomorrow one day, next day two". I referred to my previous LA visit, picking up next day. His response "This Chicago not LA". That being said, I used LA mail service for my third trip. But even with considering how much effort my application process took, if you live near Chicago, I would take your wife with you. With her being Thai, it might be easier for you, than it was for me. PS If you do decide to apply in person, I would call them first and confirm what documentation you need to bring. Do not rely on the website.

I'll echo what everyone else has said so far (well, mostly everyone.) Get the O-A visa.

I went in person to the LA Consulate to process mine and the gentleman that everyone speaks highly of is a really, really nice guy. Very helpful.

I do not understand the debate .

For those who wish to retire in Thailand there are two main stream pathways

1. Obtain a single entry "O" visa (minimal bureaucracy and cheap) and then apply for an extension of stay

2. Apply for an "O/A" visa . (A bureaucratic process which involves significant expense and requires a medical certificate and criminal record check) If a person wishes to remain in Thailand an extension of stay will have to be applied for at some point.

One path is not is not "better" than the other .

People must pay the money and make their choice. smile.png

• Like 1

1. Obtain a single entry "O" visa (minimal bureaucracy and cheap) and then apply for an extension of stay

2. Apply for an "O/A" visa . (A bureaucratic process which involves significant expense and requires a medical certificate and criminal record check) If a person wishes to remain in Thailand an extension of stay will have to be applied for at some point.

Yes, there are two mainstream pathways. Only one person made it a debate - the rest of us gave recommendations. wink.png

Depending upon one's personal circumstances, the O-A visa does not necessarily involve "significant expense". Yes, you need a medical cert ($12 for mine) and a letter from the local police department ($10 for me). Add $200 for the visa and it's $222 for my first two years in country, the first year of which I got multiple entries. Notarization cost me $20 at the local Postal Annex. Total cost: $242.

If you go the other route - your "cheap" route - it's $80 for the visa, 3800 thb for a multiple re-entry permit for the first year, 1900 thb for the extension for the second year. That's $242 (more or less) at current exchange rates.

When one makes an equal comparison, it's pretty much a wash. If you can avoid dealing with the horror show at Chiang Mai Immigration, then not having to do the extension is definitely the more convenient route. (Yes, I realize not everyone lives in Chiang Mai.)

Well, reading comprehension is once again, at the forefront of someone's misunderstanding. The OP was not asking for advice, on which visa to apply for. He is asking as to which of the 4 Thai consulates in the US, he should apply at for his visa. That is the question he asked.

Yes, there are two mainstream pathways. Only one person made it a debate - the rest of us gave recommendations. wink.png

Depending upon one's personal circumstances, the O-A visa does not necessarily involve "significant expense". Yes, you need a medical cert ($12 for mine) and a letter from the local police department ($10 for me). Add $200 for the visa and it's $222 for my first two years in country, the first year of which I got multiple entries. Notarization cost me $20 at the local Postal Annex. Total cost: $242.

If you go the other route - your "cheap" route - it's $80 for the visa, 3800 thb for a multiple re-entry permit for the first year, 1900 thb for the extension for the second year. That's $242 (more or less) at current exchange rates.

When one makes an equal comparison, it's pretty much a wash. If you can avoid dealing with the horror show at Chiang Mai Immigration, then not having to do the extension is definitely the more convenient route. (Yes, I realize not everyone lives in Chiang Mai.)

You're making the assumption that someone needs a multi re-entry permit. The OP said he was moving here permanently. Thats $100 ish saved for some.

As you point out not everyone lives in Chiang Mai. My extensions take 2 hours max from sitting down at home, putting together the paperwork, driving to the immigration office, handing in the paperwork and driving home again.

If I lived in Bangkok or Chaing Mai I'd probably get an 'O-A' to avoid the hassle. But as nowretired said everyone has to make the own choice of two viable options.

Well, reading comprehension is once again, at the forefront of someone's misunderstanding. The OP was not asking for advice, on which visa to apply for. He is asking as to which of the 4 Thai consulates in the US, he should apply at for his visa. That is the question he asked.

Sort of like your post, you mean, where you didn't suggest one of the consulates?

And, technically speaking, he was asking for advice....advice on - and I'll quote - "where to get first O-A in the US?" (Hint: it's in the subject line of the thread.)

One question often begets another question and generates discussion. That is how we all learn here.

• Like 1

The OP no longer has any choice. If his US mailing address is in the states that are under the control of Chicago ( see map) who will process his O-A Application

Only recently has the Thai Embassy in Washington announced that they will only process applications from residents of their area of "Jurisdiction": see interactive map here:http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/jurisdiction_en.php

This is a major change since if you did not want to jump through the hoops of having your documents notarized only the Washington Embassy and New York Consulate do not require notarization of the supporting documents (financial proof, medical certificate, and police check). Now you no longer have any choice, you must apply to the Thai Embassy or Consulate that services your area / location since the Thai Embassy option is no longer available for 3/4 of US residents

post-10942-0-24913600-1441033027_thumb.p

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Like 1

Sort of like your post, you mean, where you didn't suggest one of the consulates?

And, technically speaking, he was asking for advice....advice on - and I'll quote - "where to get first O-A in the US?" (Hint: it's in the subject line of the thread.)

Yes, that was his post question and what I responded to. I gave him a choice between Chicago and LA, based on my experience last year. Maybe other posters have had experiences with New York and DC. I do not. Also, in case my vision is failing, tell me where in his post, did he ask how much it costs and especially what you paid for yours?

Yes, that was his post question and what I responded to. I gave him a choice between Chicago and LA, based on my experience last year. Maybe other posters have had experiences with New York and DC. I do not. Also, in case my vision is failing, tell me where in his post, did he ask how much it costs and especially what you paid for yours?
One question often begets another question and generates discussion. That is how we all learn here.

I think SpokaneAl said it best.

Perhaps you should leave the moderating duties to the actual moderators, rapom? The rest of us don't really require your approval to post.

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Like 1

The OP no longer has any choice. If his US mailing address is in the states that are under the control of Chicago ( see map) who will process his O-A Application

Only recently has the Thai Embassy in Washington announced that they will only process applications from residents of their area of "Jurisdiction": see interactive map here:http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/jurisdiction_en.php

This is a major change since if you did not want to jump through the hoops of having your documents notarized only the Washington Embassy and New York Consulate do not require notarization of the supporting documents (financial proof, medical certificate, and police check). Now you no longer have any choice, you must apply to the Thai Embassy or Consulate that services your area / location since the Thai Embassy option is no longer available for 3/4 of US residents

attachicon.gifchicago.png

Thanks Langsuan. I saw the reference to jurisdiction zones on the website. In the past people seem to have been able to pick a consulate. I was hoping to avoid Chicago for the extra hassle of notarization. Are they strict on the jurisdiction restrictions? I have used the DC embassy in the past when I lived in that area and they were very fast.

attachicon.gifchicago.png

Thanks Langsuan. I saw the reference to jurisdiction zones on the website. In the past people seem to have been able to pick a consulate. I was hoping to avoid Chicago for the extra hassle of notarization. Are they strict on the jurisdiction restrictions? I have used the DC embassy in the past when I lived in that area and they were very fast.

Like I said in my post. This is all new territory as far as enforcing the jurisdiction thing by the Thai Embassy and Consulates. In the past they all wanted the money from the visas but that appears to no longer be the case. Unfortunately who wants to send in their paperwork only to find out that where you sent it will reject it because of geography

I just wish the rules would be the same for everyone but even though this is the US, how paperwork is handled is still ruled by the dysfunctional mindset of Thailand. It is all about fiefdoms. I guarantee you that the US Consulate in CM tows the line with what the Embassy in Bangkok says and doesn't interpret rules on their own

One could probably write the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and point out the different requirements in the US for notarization of documents but the most likely outcome would be that the MFA would then force New York and Washington to insist submitted documents also be notarized. Sort of like throwing the baby out with the bath water

I am thinking of moving to the West Coast of the US, so it appears I am going to have to deal with this PITA notarization at LA when my current O-A expires next year, this after having 5 O-A's issued by Washington and New York without any notary seal

• Like 1