Lost my Thai Driving License. - is it easy to get a new one ?

i lost my wallet yesterday.

it contains my Thai Driving License (bike & car).

i live in Bangkok and originally got my licenses from the Chatuchak office.

does anyone know what I have to do to get new licences ?

I'm guessing its a Police report and then bring passport to the chatuchak office ?

or is there more things I have to do ?

I dont want to waste a jouney there if I dont have the correct documents.

Many thanks.

That is almost exactly what our son did when he lost his. Being Thai he had to show his ID card instead of passport.

The police station gave him a copy of the report to take to the licensing centre.

Unfortunatly some offices may not follow the same procedure.

Edited by Ron19

That is almost exactly what our son did when he lost his. Being Thai he had to show his ID card instead of passport.

The police station gave him a copy of the report to take to the licensing centre.

Unfortunatly some offices may not follow the same procedure.

Yep, you'll need a police report and you'll get your licenses back on the same day. They have all on file, inclusive photo.

Thank you ;)

• Like 1

My wallet was stolen recently, but its the same process to get replacements.

A master and a photocopy of the Police report (photocopy signed by you)

Passport and a photocopy of the passport, signed

I got mine (original & replacements) at the Sukhumvit Office, took about one hour.

For the police report, I went to Thong Lo Police Station one afternoon, place was full of Chinese and other tourists who were waiting to get reports done. The guy on reception said some had been waiting there several hours already and he advised me to come early in the morning. Went at 7am the next day and did the report and out in 15 minutes.

• Like 1

I did too not long ago.

Thankfully, I had a photocopy of my driving licences.

Anyhow, went to the police and got a report, then to the Land Department.

30 minutes later I was on my way home with new driving licences. Easy, when one know how!

I uploaded many of my documents (passport, driving license, tabien of car and motorbike) to dropbox. Even if my mobile gets stolen with all the papers, I just have to go to a internet cafe or ask at the police station to go online a print out a nice copy of all. When I was in hospital and they asked for a copy of my passport (which was at home) I just went online on forwarded the copy from dropbox via email to the cashier's office address.

We have the internet, so why not use it? (dropbox might be google drive, copy, box, or whichever cloud service.)

P.S.: Don't forget to update the copies, if there are any changes, like visa extension etc.

Edited by hkt83100
  • Like 1

I uploaded many of my documents (passport, driving license, tabien of car and motorbike) to dropbox. Even if my mobile gets stolen with all the papers, I just have to go to a internet cafe or ask at the police station to go online a print out a nice copy of all. When I was in hospital and they asked for a copy of my passport (which was at home) I just went online on forwarded the copy from dropbox via email to the cashier's office address.

We have the internet, so why not use it? (dropbox might be google drive, copy, box, or whichever cloud service.)

P.S.: Don't forget to update the copies, if there are any changes, like visa extension etc.

Very, very, good advice. I do the same with everything, all relevant passport pages, driving licences, credit cards, insurance policies etc etc etc.

Have just done the same thing in Surin. You need the police report, passport and a few baht. I think was 100 plus. Cannot remember. Not too much. You will need to wait for processing and they do need to take a new photo. At least that what they did in Surin. Its the waiting that kills you if you are impatient like me.

Have just done the same thing in Surin. You need the police report, passport and a few baht. I think was 100 plus. Cannot remember. Not too much. You will need to wait for processing and they do need to take a new photo. At least that what they did in Surin. Its the waiting that kills you if you are impatient like me.

Impatience isn't good when living in Thailand. How long would it take when you'd lose your licenses in your country of origin?

No matter where you're form, I'm certain it will be a much longer and more expensive procedure. wai2.gif

• 4 months later...

The new license will have same expiry date or a brand new 5 years term?

Honestly, just guessing: same expiry date.

Otherwise too many people would "loose" their DL whistling.gif

A new five year requires some tests, much more hassle.

• 2 years later...

i lost my bike driver licence in pattaya 5 days ago,got police report went to driving test center to get a new one. had no record of my licence .i took the test at this center 5 years ago and had a 5 year licence now am taking the test again . went with my passport but still could not finf it ,what shall i do

5 hours ago, gordon taylor said:

i lost my bike driver licence in pattaya 5 days ago,got police report went to driving test center to get a new one. had no record of my licence .i took the test at this center 5 years ago and had a 5 year licence now am taking the test again . went with my passport but still could not finf it ,what shall i do

Just sing to them......

• 4 weeks later...

Lost my DL in Hat Yai on Wednesday. Didn't file a police report as I heard it wasn't necessary to acquire a new license.

Is that true nowadays or am I screwed?

At the local LTO they told me they need a copy of my passport, WP and a health certificate. Seriously? My license is valid for only 4 more months anyway.