Which chain store/food outlet from home would you like to see in Pattaya?

champers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooters is already here I believe in Phuket. Pattaya would be a natural.

Aldi is the 'parent' company of Trader Joe's, but run nowhere as well as Trader's. Every time I visit an Aldi in Europe, I am highly disappointed. And British retailers such as Waitrose, Tesco, M & S...forget it. 50 years behind the times. When it comes to retail...nobody does it better than the Yanks.

Yeh, if you like Spam, plastic sausages and spray on cheese.

Aldi is the 'parent' company of Trader Joe's, but run nowhere as well as Trader's. Every time I visit an Aldi in Europe, I am highly disappointed. And British retailers such as Waitrose, Tesco, M & S...forget it. 50 years behind the times. When it comes to retail...nobody does it better than the Yanks.

hmmmm.... me thinks , hugh thinks , his own bird the fairest of them all ...............but alas ......his broke wing one legged

bird cant fly or land . it is a pity ...........

Any UK supermarket BUT with the UK stock.

NOT Watered down range.

I'm afraid places like Tesco must get a Thai to decide what to import into Thailand.

WRONG.

Just copy what you sell in the UK.

We are the same people and Taste's here as their.

This is not Rock science.

So UK/US Supermarkets pull your finger out.

ehhh................rock science ...............?

QDOBA Mexican chain food would be nice but I suppose Jack in the Box would need to establish its self first. Carl's Jr. has a nice jalapeno burger, BTW.

carl's all over bangkok.........................................

Hooters is opening on Beach Road in Pattaya later this year. There is a big sign advertising it.

I didn't eat at fast food garbage chains back home. Why would I want to here?

The things I can't buy in Thailand I understand, Thais won't buy them.

Back home I usually tried to shop at independent retailers and mom "n" pop places. I hate chains in general.

Back home I usually tried to shop at independent retailers and mom "n" pop places. I hate chains in general.

Don't be calling Qdoba burritos garbage, dude!

Edited by Jingthing

Of course they won't buy them if they're not here. They never bought a McDonald's either until the first McDonald's opened.

It's the same with all other non-Thai restaurants, and other stores and products. They never bought a Honda motorcycle--or car--until the first shop opened. Lay's snack foods are another example. Computers and other electronics seem to be catching on quite well.

Don't be calling Qdoba burritos garbage, dude!

I watched that and stand by my first comment. I cook Mexican and that looked like S#@%t also not an American so never been there.

Of course they won't buy them if they're not here. They never bought a McDonald's either until the first McDonald's opened.

It's the same with all other non-Thai restaurants, and other stores and products. They never bought a Honda motorcycle--or car--until the first shop opened. Lay's snack foods are another example. Computers and other electronics seem to be catching on quite well.

I'm talking about Chipotle's, German style sausages, Taco Bell, mushy peas , Triscuits, Corned beef, etc that foreigners try to put on Thailand. The Honda analogy is just stupid as is the computer and electronics. Of course Thais will embrace technology...should we insist they embrace bad Mexican fast food?

California style burritos are American food, dude. You can't even get them in Mexico outside of some tourist traps. The food was developed from the root of the very basic Northern Mexican burrito by Mexican Americas, but guess what, Mexicans in the USA like them too. Of course there are much better smaller restaurants to get the best California style burritos in the world (largely in California) but among the large chains, I don't know a better one than Qdoba. We were talking about CHAINS here. Not individual restaurants.

This style of burritos are actually becoming popular among trendy Thais in Bangkok. I wouldn't be shocked if eventually they get much more popular here among Thais.

Edited by Jingthing

Any UK supermarket BUT with the UK stock.

NOT Watered down range.

I'm afraid places like Tesco must get a Thai to decide what to import into Thailand.

WRONG.

Just copy what you sell in the UK.

We are the same people and Taste's here as their.

This is not Rock science.

So UK/US Supermarkets pull your finger out.

Of course Thais get to decide what they import as Thais are a far larger target group as farangs. Like it or not that is the truth, you could say then they would have to have different imports for Pattaya but that is just not feasible you have to see it at a bigger level. They import what sells good all over the country not just in the farang ghettos. It would be more expensive and harder to import different stuff for just a small part of their stores. The whole thing depends on doing it wholesale to keep cost down.

California style burritos are American food, dude. You can't even get them in Mexico outside of some tourist traps. The food was developed from the root of the very basic Northern Mexican burrito by Mexican Americas, but guess what, Mexicans in the USA like them too. Of course there are much better smaller restaurants to get the best California style burritos in the world (largely in California) but among the large chains, I don't know a better one than Qdoba. We were talking about CHAINS here. Not individual restaurants.

This style of burritos are actually becoming popular among trendy Thais in Bangkok. I wouldn't be shocked if eventually they get much more popular here among Thais.

I generally don't like chain food, but if you suggest Qdoba is decent I'd try it.

I'm Canadian and we don't have the chain at home.

I worked in a Cal-Mex restaurant and learned to cook Mexican in a certain way and scratch is so much better. Also lived in Mexico for a year, I love to cook the food..

All I'm saying is that Thais will not embrace it in my opinion and you'd have to rely on tourist business.

why???? whats it matter...is posting it on this site going to make a difference...

hey try holding your breath and see if your store pops up...

hold it a long time!!!

We can only dream, it is understood. I can't see a business like Costco paying bribes, tea money, etc. to do business here. They are used to communities to give them the incentives (tax breaks, roads) to build in their areas. Edited by ThaiBob

Would love all of them (I'm English) but I'm all for choice the more places we have to go the better.

Some may not know it but Cracker Barrel would do well.

Big C Extra, Pattaya have it.

I think he's talking about the chain of Cracker Barrel restaurants that are in the southern US, not the cheese you find in the stores. I'd love to have one here just for the breakfast menu. Those biscuits are to die for.

I can live with the grocery stores here, but I'd love to see just a few more American comfort foods. I eat local for the most part, but sometimes you just want a little taste of home, you know?

Edited by Bellacissa

hmmmm.... me thinks , hugh thinks , his own bird the fairest of them all ...............but alas ......his broke wing one legged

Cumberland Sausages, Vintage Farmhouse Cheddar Cheese. Eat your heart out Spamerica!

Cumberland Sausages, Vintage Farmhouse Cheddar Cheese. Eat your heart out Spamerica!
Aren't these brands or items and not chain stores?