What to do if you break down in a remote location?

jay1980

Many thanks to all for the suggestions. Some make me laugh but some very good practical answers also.

I have now purchased a towing strap and jump leads from BigC, I already checked out my spare wheel, car jack and upgraded the flimsy wheel wrench so confident I could deal with a flat tyre myself.

I will be saving the Mondial tow truck number in my phone, thanks for EOW for that. I will check out CWC when the website comes back online.

Great pic's Pat looks like your have some great adventures. I won't be going as remote as you, I only have a Mitsubishi Lancer which so far has proved very reliable on a few trips to Koh Chang and many between BKK and Pattaya but there is no harm in being prepared.

cheers

Many thanks to all for the suggestions. Some make me laugh but some very good practical answers also.

I have now purchased a towing strap and jump leads from BigC, I already checked out my spare wheel, car jack and upgraded the flimsy wheel wrench so confident I could deal with a flat tyre myself.

I will be saving the Mondial tow truck number in my phone, thanks for EOW for that. I will check out CWC when the website comes back online.

Great pic's Pat looks like your have some great adventures. I won't be going as remote as you, I only have a Mitsubishi Lancer which so far has proved very reliable on a few trips to Koh Chang and many between BKK and Pattaya but there is no harm in being prepared.

cheers

THX, one more thing,...When somebody works on your car for some reparation or maintenance or so ? always stay with it and look what he's doing. observe and learn,...sometimes they do things wrong or forget to tighten some important screws... happened to me a few times....

best Regards.

Send wife on a long or short walk, depending how far to next village to get help laugh.png

If she mention old farang husband soon many helping hands will arrive wai.gif

Mind you none will be able to fix car as they don't do maintenance whistling.gif

Don't underestimate the Thais,....they will call a friend friend if he knows a good mechanic and he will be there in 5 min....!!!

sending your wife in daytime, maybe +/- if you don't speak Thai, but in the dark could be dangerous...?!?!?

And if you are far from the main tourist spots ? you will be surprised to what extend they will go to help you....!

At a extend you rarely have this in the west anymore....! (I meant never !, but there are always those exceptions)

Best regards.

Edited by off road pat

cheers

"I will check out CWC when the website comes back online"

You might wait a long time, don't you have a telephone?

Didn't see it - sorry if duplicated....If no officers around just about everyone knows how to find the village chief.....He will know the contacts for repair attempts or towing....

Usually, unless simple it's better to be towed to a known good shop.....

We went somewhere to look at sunflowers in the middle of nowhere a small hose popped and o/htd .....They found someone to replace BUT on the way home in the middle of nowhere the soft plug at blew (didn't know at the time) - the village chief towed us with a hard bar to a small shop - he found the soft plug .... village chief called for a tow truck and within an hour we were on a flat bed (4x4) headed to the shop we use near CM.....Village chief took 200 for his troubles - tow + ride home 6500..... and we Were in the middle of NOwhere.....

Edited by pgrahmm

I ride Harley's and have made friends with many Thai riders over the years. I have their numbers and know their locations. I have used that network for road-side assistance three times in the last eight years--once for my car, a Toyota, and twice for friends' bikes--a Honda and a Triumph. My Thai may be sufficient to to tell them I have broken down, but the problem is just exactly where I am--a few miles North of Ban whatzit, then a few more miles to the West, is not exact enough. So I find a local Thai to explain the exact location.

There is some "farang" org, but the last time they came up[ on here they couldn't even sort out their own web site...so what the chances are of getting hold of them or being "rescued" is seem a bit dubious.

The chances are excellent, all you have to do is call them and they pick up the phone.

Websites are irrelevant unless pedanticism is your thing as when you're in a situation that requires their attendance you won't be going online to look at their website you'll be calling them.

• 2 weeks later...

So I now back from a 12 day round trip to the South of Thailand:

Pattaya - Hua Hin - Surat Thani - Songkhla - Phuket - Chumphon - BKK and back to Pattaya.

I did 2780 Km and I am happy say closest thing to a mechanical issue with my 10 year old car was when the sucker that holds the GPS onto the windscreen fell off, so my new tow rope and jump leads are still in their plastic packaging.

I did check the oil and fluids after every long run and it barely used any oil and not other fluids.

Looking forward to another road trip, next time to the North and NE. Hopefully it go just as smoothly.

Thanks again for the advise, happily I did not need it this time but good to be prepared

post-57474-0-97326100-1442120836_thumb.j

This was taken parked opposite the Farang Bar in Chumpon, now it needs a good clean up!

BTW Kudos to the guys who do similar road trips on Honda Clicks and Waves, rather you than me!

AXA premium insurance , gives a free roadside assistence ( with emergency number) , if you're more than a 100 km from your residence.

I use AXA and the possibility of free roadside assistance seems to be well worth having, though thankfully I have never had to use it.

But nowhere in their documentation do I see anything about this 100km limit.