Is it ok for your girlfriend to call you farang to her friends?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If she takes care of you where and when it counts I wouldn't put to much into it.Just relax go with the flow.To find out if she talks

Bad about you go and learn Thai without her knowing it.Then don't speak it around her or people she knows.That would be probably the only way you know what she says.

If you are more or less taking care of her I doubt she's putting you down.Your probably the best thing that's happened to her

Since rice lol.

From the OP: "My girlfriend and I had a little agruement and her friend phoned her and she mentioned me as farang not her boyfriend? Do u think I'm over reacting by going over the top about this?"

Short answer, no. Long answer, see my post above.

I think you are being deliberately obtuse. The answer to either of those questions is not "the farang"

I also cannot recall my wife or her family ever referring to me as "the farang". Neither have my colleagues.

As mentioned above it's about context. Describing someone as farang, like describing someone as Asian is different to referring to them as "the Asian."

OB

You are taking a tour to a place that only lets in Thai people. The person on the phone asks your wife/GF is your husband Thai or Farang.

Soutpeel won't answer maybe you will.

Edited by lostoday

I think you are being deliberately obtuse. The answer to either of those questions is not "the farang"

I also cannot recall my wife or her family ever referring to me as "the farang". Neither have my colleagues.

As mentioned above it's about context. Describing someone as farang, like describing someone as Asian is different to referring to them as "the Asian."

OB

You are taking a tour to a place that only lets in Thai people. The person on the phone asks your wife/GF is your husband Thai or Farang.

Where is this place that only lets in Thai people?

What are you bleating on about ?

As stated i have never heard my wife company or on the phone refer to me as "the farang" or farang, i have heard her one the phone refer to my nationality

Why so defensive ? Just relating my own personal experiences and asking you a question my wife was asked.

OB

Why do you want to know? I asked Soutpeel.

OB

I want to make sure I never try and arrange a tour there.

OB

Especially if your wife is "farang". Would blow their minds.

OB

OB

Did you read my post? If you don't think farang can be used as a pejorative then there is no point arguing further.

OB

There are many places in Thailand that only admit Thai people.

OB

There is a karaoke bar near us that is like that smile.png

I also heard of bars in Pattaya where the same rule is applied for a few days after the Thais have been paid near the end of the month.

OB

Did you read my post? If you don't think farang can be used as a pejorative then there is no point arguing further.

OB

Boy you guys have a hard time admitting you are wrong. Farang may be a pejorative or neutral or good depending on the context. Why can't you just say I was wrong and let it go?

OB

There is a karaoke bar near us that is like that smile.png

I also heard of bars in Pattaya where the same rule is applied for a few days after the Thais have been paid near the end of the month.

Plenty of places in Bangkok that only allow jin as well. Not even Thais are allowed in.

OB

OB

OB

Boy you guys have a hard time admitting you are wrong. Farang may be a pejorative or neutral or good depending on the context. Why can't you just say I was wrong and let it go?

Did you read my post? I said it was all about context. Maybe go back and have a read.

OB

OB

Did you read my post? I said it was all about context. Maybe go back and have a read.

OB

Maybe you better read the above. You wrote, "I think you are being deliberately obtuse. The answer to either of those questions is not "the farang"

That is not correct the answer to my questions is Farang. Thais would not say "the."

OB

OB

Maybe you better read the above. You wrote, "I think you are being deliberately obtuse. The answer to either of those questions is not "the farang"

That is not correct the answer to my questions is Farang. Thais would not say "the."

I think your argument is a straw man so let's bring it back on topic. If the person on the phone asked "is your boyfriend thai or farang?" Farang would be appropriate. If however, she was using it instead of his name would that be an issue?

Thoughts?

OB

My wife refers To me as leung X . Same as the other viĺlager that i am close. But her father Who kind of like me use farang in front of me To talk about me. As well as many Kids of the village.

And when m'y wife upset you can be sûre à one moment or other se Will blatter farang farang

Just thai style nothing To worry about for me i am farang and kind of proud

My wife refers To me as leung X . Same as the other viĺlager that i am close. But her father Who kind of like me use farang in front of me To talk about me. As well as many Kids of the village.

And when m'y wife upset you can be sûre à one moment or other se Will blatter farang farang

Just thai style nothing To worry about for me i am farang and kind of proud

Really?, I wouldnt be impressed if my wife called me "Uncle", unless of course she was talking to one of the nieces at the time.

There are people around here that are referred to by different terms: Isaan, (Lao), Cambodia, Thai, Chinese and at the bottom, Farang. In order of occurrence. It doesn't matter. You aren't being called the equivalent of a nigger.

It is,its the same,but we can do F all about it.