ED Visa -- Do embassys "test" your Thai?

The embassy in Vientiane could not care less about your Thai skills.

On the contrary they make you PAY for it, THEN ONCE YOU PAID there is a possible Thai test at border by immigration officer.

Depends of how lucky/unlucky you are.

They may not test you officially but you better be abvle to speak Thai nit noi. Also they may have a red flag on the school.

Yes, and if you haven't reached at least to Mo 3 level after one year, it's the immigration prison and warder Terdsak with his repertoire of Thai expletives to face for you.

I always wonder why there was crack down on visas in Thailand. OP, just a side note....do you attend classes. Not my business, I realize. Just curious how things have changed. There was a farang couple on TV couple of years back from CM......anyway were bragging how they just got another year. Did not attend a class and could not speak any Thai. Joked how they obtained a very good results. Surely things have changed.

I always wonder why there was crack down on visas in Thailand. OP, just a side note....do you attend classes. Not my business, I realize. Just curious how things have changed. There was a farang couple on TV couple of years back from CM......anyway were bragging how they just got another year. Did not attend a class and could not speak any Thai. Joked how they obtained a very good results. Surely things have changed.

Nothing has changed.

You can still skip classes all you like.

The only thing that has changed is that you have to pay 3 times more for extensions.

So obviously less and less candidates.

Not embassies, but immigration will throw some Thai on you to check your progress and make a note of it in your file. coffee1.gif And yes they do have a file on you in their computers.

Edited by khaowong1

Just finishing with the ED visa after a little over 2 years and I never got tested, but it does happen now and then, pretty randomly.

When they do it seems to almost always be pretty simple stuff that you ought to know if you are going to class and studying, but not always.

Was actually talking to the office girls at my school today and they told me about one time when an immigration officer handed a student a book of the Thai tax codes and wanted him to read that. Lots of people would have a hard time making sense of tax codes in their native language!

Overall, I would not worry about it much, just go to class and learn best you can.