HELP: Stuck At Border

whistling.gif Frankly, because, although they may not tell you this to your face directly... it is not considered polite in Thailand for a Thai to force a direct confrontations with another person.....they obviously don't believe you are really a tourist..

They have had to many foreigners working illegally in Thailand without the correct visa and required work permit.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

you already got several answers. The local border immigration officials have the authority to deny entry. Now, care to state which border visa run service you used? What type of visa did you leave Thailand with? You said you stayed in Thailand for a few weeks during the past six months. Care to explain that timeline? The most recent weeks, three weeks duration five months ago? The timeline I think you are making up doesn't seem to fit a Visa exemption on arrival.

It wasn't a border run. I went on a tour to Angkor Wat. I have only used visa exemptions in Thailand.

The last time I was in Thailand was a few months ago, and that was only for a few week (just over two weeks). Prior to that my stays in Thailand was in 2014.

There's obviously more to this incident, if indeed it's really happening.

The tour operator is not able to assist in negotiating with Immigration or at least explain to you what the problem is? If you're really there can you post a picture of the name of the crossing point that is probably staring you in the face?

Have you been asked to show sufficient funds and been unable to do so? Have you done something to warrant the immigration officer's refusing to stamp you in? Do you have the kind of appearance that would suggest something to the IO? If the answer's affirmative then you've already had all the advice that can be given, probably thrice. Get a proper visa or try another crossing point.

The tour operator is on the other side of the border. I was told that a man would be waiting for me with a signboard... but I have no way to contact him.

I wasn't told anything else, except they insisted that I was a visa runner, which can't be true since I've only been in Thailand for two/three weeks in the past six months. They had poor English, but I understood that I was being denied a stamp because I shouldn't exceed three entries.

I know you said you are from the UK but are you perhaps from the middle east origin?

Even so, what should I do? I'm literally stuck at the border! Is there anyone higher up I can speak to?

Maybe its because of the Bkk bombing, maybe you have the appearance of a middle Eastern, so immigration thought it better not to allow you in, which is understandable in the circumstance....

whistling.gif Frankly, because, although they may not tell you this to your face directly... it is not considered polite in Thailand for a Thai to force a direct confrontations with another person.....they obviously don't believe you are really a tourist..

They have had to many foreigners working illegally in Thailand without the correct visa and required work permit.

I doubt it. The stamps in my passport says that I'm on vaction and that I've visisted several countries everywhere, not that I'm a visa-runner doing back-to-back.

There is no point discussing the officer's decision, even if it's unjustified, he has final word.

you can:

- Wait for him to finish his shift and try your luck again with someone else.

-try another crossing near by

-fly

- get a tourist visa

• Like 1

I just want to know what the actual rules are concerning back-to-back visa runs? As far as I know, spending two/three weeks in Thailand during the past six months does not constitute visa running, or even visa overstaying.

Has anyone come across a 'maximum 3 times' rule or anything similar to my situation?

Here is a method that will probably bring good results for you, it has been confirmed to work very well in the past.

Wait until there is a queue at the immigration office and then storm to the front pushing everyone else out of the way. Whilst using as many expletives as possible (the IO won't understand what you're saying but he will be taken aback and put off his stroke, so to speak) bang both your fists violently on the IO's window exclaiming that you're British and demand to be allowed in, as is your right under some international convention or other.

If that softly, softly approach doesn't seem to be working demand to see the highest ranking officer there and irately demand your rights from him. He will then meekly stamp you in and help you make arrangements for your onward travel as the tour bus has probably long since abandoned you.

If this doesn't work the first couple of times, try it thrice.

• Like 1

In Thailand each officer makes/interpretes its own rules/the laws.

I read 6 times on visa exempts from some reports, but really anything goes here.

If you want to discuss laws or application of the law with an immigration officer here, you will be wasting your time and putting yourself in deeper trouble.

I just want to know what the actual rules are concerning back-to-back visa runs? As far as I know, spending two/three weeks in Thailand during the past six months does not constitute visa running, or even visa overstaying.
Has anyone come across a 'maximum 3 times' rule or anything similar to my situation?

Ive already told you. There's no official rule.

But if they aren't going to let you in then follow the advice already given and enter another way.

There's obviously more to this incident, if indeed it's really happening.

The tour operator is not able to assist in negotiating with Immigration or at least explain to you what the problem is? If you're really there can you post a picture of the name of the crossing point that is probably staring you in the face?

Have you been asked to show sufficient funds and been unable to do so? Have you done something to warrant the immigration officer's refusing to stamp you in? Do you have the kind of appearance that would suggest something to the IO? If the answer's affirmative then you've already had all the advice that can be given, probably thrice. Get a proper visa or try another crossing point.

The tour operator is on the other side of the border, so I am unable to contact him (I was told that I would be greeted by a board).

They did not ask me anything else, but just inststed that I was a visa-runner, which can't be true since I have only been in Thailand for two/three weeks in the past six months.

Your tour operator doesn't have a phone number?

I doubt it. The stamps in my passport says that I'm on vaction and that I've visisted several countries everywhere, not that I'm a visa-runner doing back-to-back.

the possibly do show that they are tourist visas not that you are on vacation. The immigration officer may have looked at the history of travel to several countries you detailed. Had a look at your appearance and made a judgement of your ability to pay for an extended vacation without working or being involved in other ilegal activities and decided as there was no obligation on him to allow you entry denied it.

A visa from a consulate may permit him to effectively pass the respeonsibility to the consulate or a fly in may allow assesment by the higher level staff at a capital city airport.

i am not saying this is the way people should be treated but stating it as it is.

Edited by harrry

Forget it.

Seems a little strange that your initial panic has eased and you now just want to discuss the back-to-back rules at the border. If you really have been denied entry discussion of the rules will be useless, go and get a visa.

When you say "maximum 3 times rule" surely you mean "maximum thrice rule"?

Forget it.

Seems a little strange that your initial panic has eased and you now just want to discuss the back-to-back rules at the border. If you really have been denied entry discussion of the rules will be useless, go and get a visa.

When you say "maximum 3 times rule" surely you mean "maximum thrice rule"?

the urgency has not gone, infact I have to leave now, but I'm just stuck here at the border. The 'maximum three times' was what the immirgration official said, I'm just trying to intrepret her poor English.

Don't try to understand why you have been rejected, it is pointless.

Nothing is coherent in terms of application of immigration laws here.

What is true at one border with one particular officer who had a bad lunch, is not at another border post.

This forum is full reports about the different applications of the rules, from one immigration office to another, from one border to another, even from one officer to another.

• Like 2

There has just been a major crackdown on the immigration office at the Cambodian border, because the bombing suspect says he bribed immigration officers to gain entrance to Thailand.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/six-immigration-police-officers-at-srakaew-transferred

If the OP's story is true it is probably due to this. Best bet is probably to try flying in as that border is likely to be very difficult at the moment

• Like 2

FYI

In 2006 ministerial regulation was passed that limited the time you could stay using visa exempt entry to 90 days in any 6 months. If someone entered 3 times and stayed 30 days (max) each time they used their limit. This is the rule the IO is quoting.

But this regulation was cancelled on the 25th November 2008 and IO's can no longer legally enforce it. Even though some do!

You are not stuck at the border! the route into Thailand is get on a bus to Phnom Penh and get a tourist visa or take a flight from Siem reap or Phnom Penh and fly to BKK where you should get a 30 stamp with no problems ( you might want to have an onward flight booked out of thailand within those 30 days, ready to show immigration if asked). You could be back in Thailand within hours if you jump on the next flight?

Is there any reason why I can't get into Thailand overland? It's a huge change of routes considering I am flying out of BKK soon.

You know the answer to this already the border staff at the land crossing won't give you a 30 day on arrival. So move on to the next options. Air Asia from PNH might be worth a try and a $5 bus ride to Phnom Penh. Do it like a tourist and see the sites. Spend a few days on the beach at Sinoukville.

If no visa is required, it's even simpler to go back to Siem Reap and fly from there. Air Asia has multiple daily flights as does Bangkok Airways.

Not sure if I am reading the OP right, but I was led to believe that visa exemptions or visa on arrival were only granted when entering Thailand by air, not at land border crossings.

If I am right, the OP states that he had a visa exemption, probably upon his last arrival by air. He then left the country for Cambodia, meaning the visa he had was used and no longer valid. If I am right (and I am not sure that I am) it would appear that he is now trying to cross a land border without a valid visa.

Not sure if I am reading the OP right, but I was led to believe that visa exemptions or visa on arrival were only granted when entering Thailand by air, not at land border crossings.

If I am right, the OP states that he had a visa exemption, probably upon his last arrival by air. He then left the country for Cambodia, meaning the visa he had was used and no longer valid. If I am right (and I am not sure that I am) it would appear that he is now trying to cross a land border without a valid visa.

15 days exempt over land, 30 by air.

Visa exemption is available and land borders and airports.

When you enter under visa exemption you don't get a visa you get stamp giving you a stay of up to 30 days.

Visa on arrival is different. That is a visa but it's only available to nationals from some countries that don't qualify for entry under visa exemption (no visa).

15 days exempt over land, 30 by air.

He's from the UK so he gets 30 days by land or air.

• Like 1