Recommended Denists. For Dental Tourism. Bangkok.

DLang

My sister needs about 1,200-1,500 Euros worth of dentistry done.

"I need a molar (back tooth) root canal. Sometimes here they do a white filling over it & sometimes (mostly recommended) they crown it. Im looking at between €1,200 if Im lucky - €1,500 to get it done here. Plus probably €50 petrol money for each dentist visit. ...A quick search it looks like they quote for root canal & crown together for about €140 - €250 in Bangkok.

So thats got me thinking obviously ..."

Can anybody recommend a good, decent, English speaking dentist that they have used in BKK?

I will also email her a list of dentists and she can email them to get their approx. rates.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not sure where you are coming up with such information - dental work is not cheap in Thailand and any reasonable dentist will be charging much more than that - one of the most used facilities lists price in USD as:

$303-$424 for the root canal in molar

$136-$182 for post/core (likely require after above RCT to make it strong enough)

$273-$515 for crown (cheap porcelain over metal to best quality gold/special types

http://www.bangkoksmiledental.com/price/price-dental-crown.html

Dr Sunil Dental in Bkk....located in Phrakhanong....they have a website with all prices published.

They pick u up and drop u back to ur hotel....or u can choose to be met at phrakhanong bts....4 stops or 10 min fm asoke.

The standard of treatment and hygiene is quite high....place is literally swarming with farangs fm australia uk etc.

• Like 1

I have emailed her about 6 different clinic websites that look okay, some focus only on international dental tourism.

Told her to email all of them stating the work needed, and requesting the prices.

Any recommendation will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I recently did exactly what she had done....breakdown was

Root canal on molar 14k baht

Crown 8 k baht

Pin to secure crown 4k baht

Xrays and meds 3-4 k (tip: buy your own meds as they charge absurd prices for them....you need clindamycin and metronidazole...3 tabs a day for a week) just xray is 1 k baht.

No drinking or smoking 48 hrs before and after procedure if possible.

Good luck i was pretty happy with my results....

Ps. Ohhh and u get a 10% discount but you have to get approval fm them in writing and dont forget to claim it while paying or you will forfeit it.

Edited by JHolmesJr
  • Like 1

I recently did exactly what she had done....breakdown was

Root canal on molar 14k baht

Crown 8 k baht

Pin to secure crown 4k baht

Xrays and meds 3-4 k (tip: buy your own meds as they charge absurd prices for them....you need clindamycin and metronidazole...3 tabs a day for a week) just xray is 1 k baht.

No drinking or smoking 48 hrs before and after procedure if possible.

Good luck i was pretty happy with my results....

Ps. Ohhh and u get a 10% discount but you have to get approval fm them in writing and dont forget to claim it while paying or you will forfeit it.

Great info, thanks.

Can you tell me the name of the clinic?

Thanks.

Dr Sunil Dental in Bkk....located in Phrakhanong....they have a website with all prices published.

They pick u up and drop u back to ur hotel....or u can choose to be met at phrakhanong bts....4 stops or 10 min fm asoke.

The standard of treatment and hygiene is quite high....place is literally swarming with farangs fm australia uk etc.

The one above….

http://www.drsunildental.com

• Like 1

Check out Thantakit International. It is one of the best, first-rate dental clinics in BKK and is quite a well-known destination for dental holidays. I had a root canal treatment with them and was very satisfied. The dentists and staff were all good in English. Your sister can also avail of their free hotel pickup service.

I've been using http://www.asavanant.com for over a decade now, including one root canal. Excellent dentists and very modern equipment. However, relatively pricey.

When I went for a checkup last week I was seen by a new dentist there, Dr.Ray Sone Hovijitra. He was extremely thorough and spoke excellent English. He was the first medical professional I've encountered in Thailand where I feel I can have a proper conversation about my treatment. Turns out he was born and raised in the United States. He's relatively young (with a slightly outrageous hairstyle). I see the youth as a plus since his training is more up-to-date than, say a longer-in-the-tooth dentist. Highly recommended.

Edited by AyG
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I always use the Bangkok Dental Hospital on Thoinglor http://www.dentalhospitalbangkok.com/

They are not the cheapest but very good quality. I think you can email them for a price quote. When you do specify type of crown material e.g. porcelin or whatever as this makes a difference.

Me and the other half visited them today. First time. I broke a filling on some unpopped popcorn at the movies and she needs a broken tooth fixed (not related). It is a quality run organisation but for efficiency they break the services down so you could end up sitting in the chair with several different people. The initial evaluation including an inspection and 3 xrays was 1500 baht. Based on that I was supposed to go for two fillings (1800 baht each) and two cleanings at another 1800 each. At the end of the evaluation they got us to sign a firm confirming medical history with a list of blank lines where the services would be filled in by the various consultants. They said I could do the fillings immediately. However once I got in the chair with the tools and the bright light it all got a bit Marathon man. The filling consultant decided I should have Ceramic fillings. Is it safe? I said. I had to push to find out they were 12,000 baht each before she lifted the drill. It all felt a bit bait and switch so I left the chair rapidly for research which she seemed a bit miffed about.

I was impressed with the facilities and my GF was very happy with the way her broken tooth was treated and will be going back for some more fillings to be fixed. I've checked with a couple of other reputable dentists and it seems I should be paying about 20,000 baht for two ceramic fillings so their pricing is high but not outrageously so.

There is a strategy in Consulting for IT, Hospitals, and now Dentistry it seems to completely separate the service delivery from the pricing. Its good in that it allows everyone to focus on identifying needs first, but slick processing can bite you if you aren't willing to explicitly discuss price before the service is delivered especially if you've signed a blank service delivery form. And it bypasses price negotiation completely.

The same strategy is used in some dodgy bars so it tends to come down to the ethics of the consultants and how far off their quarterly target they are.

I always use the Bangkok Dental Hospital on Thoinglor http://www.dentalhospitalbangkok.com/

They are not the cheapest but very good quality. I think you can email them for a price quote. When you do specify type of crown material e.g. porcelin or whatever as this makes a difference.

Do you know anything about the Dental Hospital on Sukhumvit 49? I have heard it is quite good and moderately priced.

I've been using http://www.asavanant.com for over a decade now, including one root canal. Excellent dentists and very modern equipment. However, relatively pricey.

When I went for a checkup last week I was seen by a new dentist there, Dr.Ray Sone Hovijitra. He was extremely thorough and spoke excellent English. He was the first medical professional I've encountered in Thailand where I feel I can have a proper conversation about my treatment. Turns out he was born and raised in the United States. He's relatively young (with a slightly outrageous hairstyle). I see the youth as a plus since his training is more up-to-date than, say a longer-in-the-tooth dentist. Highly recommended.

+1

they are expensive, but they tried to rescue an implantat (spelling) which was for sure gone and were successful with it.

I doubt any other would have tried that (and it was cheap as there wasn't much work)

I highly recommend them.

I had once conversation with the owner....can't recall it, but I was satisfied and always choose the same dentist, one lady who also speaks excellent English and studied in USA.

When I lived in Sukhumvit, I used to go to the Dental Hospital on Sukhumvit 49 twice a year for over 15 years to have my teeth cleaned. They did a great job and I was satisfied with the price when it was 1,200 baht, which it was for many years. Then they raised the price to 1,500 baht, which I think is too much for teeth cleaning in Bangkok. A short time after they rasied their price, I happened to move out to the suburbs near Seacon Square. On the recommendation of colleagues, I went to a dental clinic nearby - and started getting my teeth cleaned for 850 baht. The quality of the work was as good as what I had been used to at the Soi 49 Dental Clinic - and for around half the price. I would put the price difference down to the price of real estate in Sukumvit vs. in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, I can highly recommend both the quality of work and the prices of this place, the BFC Dental Clinic. Here is their website: http://www.bfcdental.com/

Do you know anything about the Dental Hospital on Sukhumvit 49? I have heard it is quite good and moderately priced.

Sorry that is what I meant in the first place, it is Soi 49 not Thonglor.

I would not describe it as moderately priced by Thai standards though. It is towards the top end. Not at the very top, but above average.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using Bangkok Smile Dental in Asoke for all kinds of stuff. All the staff speak very good english so much easier to communicate. Their prices are not as outrageous as Bangkok Dental Hospital. Well i kinda like dental hospital too but i think the prices are not very reasonable.

Been using Bangkok Smile Dental in Asoke for all kinds of stuff. All the staff speak very good english so much easier to communicate. Their prices are not as outrageous as Bangkok Dental Hospital. Well i kinda like dental hospital too but i think the prices are not very reasonable.

I too went here for my only Thailand dental treatment so far. I had a molar root canal and crown, and two fillings. And happy gas. All up it was a bit under B40,000.

The happy gas was expensive - B3000 I think it was - and they really didn't want to use it, had to be coaxed. Then their obvious lack of experience with it made it difficult to trust them, and hence difficult for me to "let go" and let the gas take me someplace else.

But all in all I'll go back to Bangkok Smile on Asoke.

• 6 months later...

I have not needed a root canal, but this seems to be the topic where I can recommend my dentist.

Over the past 3 years I have regularly visited Dental Design clinic. I have usually had just check up, cleaning and polishing, but also a few small fillings. I have felt very comfortable and satisfied. I have seen 3 different lady dentists there, and, though it may just be my imagination, it seems to me that their treatment is gentler and less painful than it has been in previous years with male dentists. The "promotion" price for my last visit - check up, cleaning and polishing, and 2 small X-rays - was TB 1,200. The package promotion prices are given on their website: http://www.dentaldesignclinic-lab.com/

The clinic is easily accessible from Asok BTS and Sukhumvit MRT, just a 2-minute walk. It is a group practice, apparently headed by a man, but in 5 visits I have only seen lady dentists. Usually there is a Thai and a Filipina receptionist. The latter speaks perfect English, as do the dentists. The clinic is large, clean and well-equipped, with a connecting building for the dental laboratory. I actually look forward to going there when I get a call for my next appointment.

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2016 at 11:40 AM, ngern said:

Over the past 3 years I have regularly visited Dental Design clinic. I have usually had just check up, cleaning and polishing, but also a few small fillings. I have felt very comfortable and satisfied. I have seen 3 different lady dentists there, and, though it may just be my imagination, it seems to me that their treatment is gentler and less painful than it has been in previous years with male dentists. website: http://www.dentaldesignclinic-lab.com/

FYI, they have apparently moved and have new website:
http://www.dentaldesign.dental

• 3 months later...

Here is my story about Dental hospital which is advised  by moderator Sheryl almost in every dental topic..

First of all-that is one of the most expensive places if not the most expensive place in Bkk.Second-they are ready to destroy your healthy teeth only to make profit of you!!!

I had a problem with a tooth next to wisdom tooth and was told that it necessary to remove wisdom tooth fist to get access to the tooth which need to be fixed(6000 baht)+root canal treatment(15000 baht)+ crown(25000 baht).I was told that removing a wisdom tooth is absolutly necessary and it is the only way to do.

I didnt expect to pay 45000 for that,so i searched a bit more and decided to try Chula hospital.After checking me there i was told that wisdom tooth doenst need to be removed and i needed only filling as nerve wasnt damaged ! Everything was made in the  same day for 1480 baht!

45k baht  and multiple visits for destroying healthy teeth vs 1.5k and job is  done in 40 minutes.How sick is that?

At Chula hospital u will have long registration process and will have to spend some time there ,i came there at 2pm and was everything was made at around 6.30 but its absolutely worth it.The doctor was a teacher at the dental faculty at daytime there and in the evening was taking patients,he spoke good english ,was very gentle and overall seemed like  a professional.One of the best dental experiences i ever had,not a single moment of any pain.

Lesson learned-i will try to avoid all private hospitals at all cost now.They will not help you,they will rip you off at any given possibility.

• Like 1

All I can say is, my experience with the Dental hospital -- which I have used for more than 20 years -- has been entirely different.

But every hospital has at least 1 or 2 subpar staff and perhaps you had the misfortune to get one.

Or - and only time will tell -- perhaps they were correct and the dentist at Chula wrong.   Time will show.

I can tell you that I have in the past ignored recommendations from the Dental Hospital in favor of simpler procedures and in every instance had cause to later regret it.

But one would expect a Chula prof. to be reliable.

Dental Hospital certainly costs more than government hospitals do but is not by any means the most expensive in Thailand.  It generally costs a little less than dental depts in private hospitals.

It is not a valid price comparison to compare what you paid at Chula for  simple filling to what you were quoted at DH for wisdom tooth extraction, root canal and crown, that is apples and oranges. Had the Chula dentist done those  3 procedures the bill would have been, from my experience with govt hospitals, around 15-20k. Still much less than private, of course, but would also have taken a lot longer (6 months last time I took someone through that process, consisting of 7 different all-day long waits),

The 1.5k vs 45 k is because there was a difference of opinion as to what was needed. A simple filling at DH runs 2-3 k. I have had many such done there as have many family members and can assure you they do not usually advise more extensive procedures.   There must have been something on the Xray which led the dentist to believe a root canal was needed. It is good you got another opinion and let us hope the Chula doc, who being a Prof. may have been more experienced, was correct.

I had been seen by 2 staff members:first one who made general examination,and then the doctor which was gonna do everthing(she was not older then 25-27 years old btw).And they both stated that i need to do all those unnecessary things.

Lol,and what time will show?The nerve wasnt damaged so there was no need for anything more then a filling.There can not be 2 opinions about that.When the doctor at Chula heard what they wanted to do with me there he just laughed ..

Why is it not a valid comparison how you say?If i have chosen Dental hospital i would lost 45k and a lot of time and nerves.By choosing other place i have lost 1.5k and my problem is solved in one day.Fair enough!

The thought that they are fooling people like that makes me sick and this is abosutely disgusting.

Not an unknown problem...

I have to get a yearly medical for offshore work - which is a good thing - but part of it is a dental checkup. All this is at Samitivej Hospital.

The dentist told me although i 'passed' he recommended a couple of fillings...

But since I'd just had a clean and checkup 2 weeks previously at my regular dentist at another hospital without any issues ... I declined the offer.

I had been seen by 2 staff members:first one who made general examination,and then the doctor which was gonna do everthing(she was not older then 25-27 years old btw).And they both stated that i need to do all those unnecessary things.      Lol,and what time will show?The nerve wasnt damaged so there was no need for anything more then a filling.There can not be 2 opinions about that.When the doctor at Chula heard what they wanted to do with me there he just laughed ..

Why is it not a valid comparison how you say?If i have chosen Dental hospital i would lost 45k and a lot of time and nerves.By choosing other place i have lost 1.5k and my problem is solved in one day.Fair enough!

The thought that they are fooling people like that makes me sick and this is abosutely disgusting.

There can be 2 opinions about it, and there were. You are assuming the Chula Prof was right and there was no infection in the pulp of the root (this being the indication for root canal) and all infected material could be removed without root canal. If he was wrong you will develop further pain or sensitivity to heat or cold in this tooth. If he was right you will not.

Given a choice between recommendations from a 25 year old and a professor of dentistry I too would go with the latter. There are BTW more senior dentists at DH and it is not only possible but encouraged to get second opinions there. I have done so. And the 2nd doctor will not hesitate to openly disagree with the first.

It is certaintly not at all the case that all dentists at that hospital routinely and intentionally recommend more extendive treatment than is needed. I am speaking from more than 20 years experience for 3 separate people, total of more than 80 separate treatments, most of them simple uncomplicated fillings. In those few cases where more extensive treatment was suggested sevond opimions were sougjt and usually confirmed it. Not at all the hospital-wide pattern of intentional over treatment that you assert.

I don't doubt your version of what occurred in your case (though I do doubt your assumption of deliberate lying for profit, more likely it was a challenging filling and a young dentist who did not think she could get it all without root canal). But to go from one case where treatment was advised that another doctor decided was not necessary to claiming (1) that this was an intentional lie aimed to get more money at the cost of knowingly removing a healthy tooth and performing an unnecessary root canal and (2) that this is a hospital wide practive is a sweeping and defamatory generalization.

If you do not develop further problems with this tooth after say a month it would be worth sending a letter to the hospital director describing what ocurred. Call first to get the doctor's name, receptionist can readilt get it from your records. Only the second doctor's name matters, the first just does general screening to identify issues that warrant further assessment by a dentist. They do not make definitive recommendations and they always err on the side of caution. Not at all unusual for them to flag a possible problem that turns out not to need anything. It is the diagnosis and recommendation of the second dentist you saw that is the issue, and if it indeed proves to have been wrong it warrants review by hospital management.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app