Refused Entry at Bangkok Immigration

Looking for advice,

I was refused entry to Thailand in Bangkok.

Reason put in passport was for i was looking for work in Thailand.

From reading posts most say there is an interview process when anything arises,

now i went through no interview with senior IO.

Over last 2 years i have been entering Thailand a lot, on 2 occasions i have stayed

up to 4 months doing the Visa run every 30 days, (i work in Oil & Gas but work in last year or so is slow due to oil price,

in last 5 months back working) so i have a lot of stamps in the passport

which i think was the reasoning behind their thinking i was working or looking for work in Thailand.

I am now back in my home Country but my partner is devastated & angry at IO's.

I will get new passport but is there any advice on what i should do, stay out of thailand for a few months?

apply for multiple entry tourist 6 month visa with new passport.

wat i am afraid of is they took picture of me and is on their system, if i go back in with new passport will it flag up

about being previously refused

They will know about the prior refusal. The new passport does nothing to avoid that. I am astonished if it is true that you were denied entry by a low level immigration official. I do not think any except senior officials have the power to do that. My understanding is that there is an appeal process. Perhaps, you should look into that.

EDIT: Looking for work on a visa exempt entry is allowed, although starting work without changing to a Non O visa is not.

Edited by BritTim

I am surprised that looking for work was given as a reason.

What country are you from and when you were refused entry what happened ? Were you given a choice of destination ?

Also, did they ask for and could you produce the 20,000 Baht in cash that you're supposed to carry when arriving ? From what I've heard this is an often used 'excuse' to deny entrance.

thanks for reply

the IO at desk brought my passport to an office at Immigration area,

what i was saying is that i did not have an interview, they came out with print outs

of my entry/exits from thailand saying i stay in country to long, that i am looking for work,

that was my gist of it, there was no one on one interview, very little information was given to me, waited in Immigration area for over 90 minutes

then brought to lower level of airport where again no information came my way, just info logged in numerous books, then EK airlines rep arrived

to go through arranging flights home

What country are you from and when you were refused entry what happened ? Were you given a choice of destination ?

Also, did they ask for and could you produce the 20,000 Baht in cash that you're supposed to carry when arriving ? From what I've heard this is an often used 'excuse' to deny entrance.

I am Irish,

flew from Basra Iraq through Dubai as that is where i am currently working,

my return ticket was returning to Bangkok, although i had another booking departing Thailand on 13th this month but was never asked about that,

I was asked about cash, i had close to $400, 70 euro, 200 AED, 7000 baht on me

choice of destination was for me to fly to ireland but as i had already ticket to amsterdam for 13th just changed dates.

What did the IO stamp in your passport

i sent photo of stamp to girlfriend

and she said i was refused over that i came to thailand to work and be employee

Sounds like they think you were actually working in Thailand without a permit. They are pretty uptight about that recently.

I am Irish,

my return ticket was returning to Bangkok, although i had another booking departing Thailand on 13th this month but was never asked about that,

choice of destination was for me to fly to ireland but as i had already ticket to amsterdam for 13th just changed dates.

You were treated very harshly and had more than enough cash on you.

Personally I would have pointed out my separately booked ticket on the 13th so they didn't think I was arriving on a one way ticket and potentially staying long term. I would also most definitely have requested to speak to a supervisor / senior officer.

Is there any reason they might think you're going to work in Thailand ?

This is all very strange. Sounds like the beginning of another crackdown to me.

• Like 1

I am Irish,

Personally I would have pointed out my separately booked ticket on the 13th so they didn't think I was arriving on a one way ticket and potentially staying long term. I would also most definitely have requested to speak to a supervisor / senior officer.

The reason....Thailand has an offshore oil and gas industry, and there are expats who work in said industry in Thailand

many in your industry are a month on, month off - that is a no-brainer for immigration.

Your immigration history does not reflect such a pattern and with 2 stays of over 4 months (using visa not required permissions to stay) it is not surprising that they have raised questions.

Marry the girl and get a nom-imm O visa.

• Like 1

They barred the OP because he might be looking for work? I reckon he needs to get a picture of that stamp and post here so that the 'professionals' here can see what it says as that is a totally lame excuse and something may be getting lost in the translation. They may as well start knocking back tattoo'd guys because they look like they may get in a rumble and cause grief or latter day Lotharios because they look like they might indulge with a prostitute.

Unless the cost isn't an issue and the OP is near one of the UKPO's that do same-day processing, go ahead and get a new one AND a dual-entry TR visa and come back. However, I would be tempted to get a visa in the old passport and come back. Their own immigration rules don't specifically say that you need any sort of visa if you are looking for work do they? Most people picking up work in Thailand are doing it on the 'incorrect' visa anyway since that is allowed and then do the fly out/in or border hop to get the correct visa that the WP requires.

Bad luck indeed.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

I am Irish,

Yes and the more they do, the better Cambodia looks. Plenty of people use to make Thailand their second home, but contractors and others are piling into Cambodia because you pay a small amount and you are left alone. No hassles and you can work if you want to. I am curious how many are still left in Thailand. Has anyone ditched their retirement visa and moved across the boarder ?

Sorry for your troubles,but many now are enjoying Thailand more by living in Cambodia.

• Like 1

Looking for advice,

I was refused entry to Thailand in Bangkok.

Reason put in passport was for i was looking for work in Thailand.

From reading posts most say there is an interview process when anything arises,

now i went through no interview with senior IO.

Over last 2 years i have been entering Thailand a lot, on 2 occasions i have stayed

up to 4 months doing the Visa run every 30 days, (i work in Oil & Gas but work in last year or so is slow due to oil price,

in last 5 months back working) so i have a lot of stamps in the passport

which i think was the reasoning behind their thinking i was working or looking for work in Thailand.

I am now back in my home Country but my partner is devastated & angry at IO's.

I will get new passport but is there any advice on what i should do, stay out of thailand for a few months?

apply for multiple entry tourist 6 month visa with new passport.

wat i am afraid of is they took picture of me and is on their system, if i go back in with new passport will it flag up

about being previously refused

Get in touch with Interactive. Get a work permit. Problem solved.

This is worrying! People entering perfectly legally for 30 days or less are being stopped solely on grounds of visiting LOS too often, even if they are well into retirement age, so the 'looking for work' reason does not even apply. Phuket Immigration seem to be one of the worst, but I will report on Suvarnabhumi next week when I return for another 30 days !

They really dislike people who dont pay into the immigration system , next time pay the 45 dollars and get a tourist visa

Rubbish,did somebody at Immi tell you that.Millions come in without visa,do they dislike them all.

Did you actually read the OP at all ?? Multiple Entries the operative words

This is worrying! People entering perfectly legally for 30 days or less are being stopped solely on grounds of visiting LOS too often, even if they are well into retirement age, so the 'looking for work' reason does not even apply. Phuket Immigration seem to be one of the worst, but I will report on Suvarnabhumi next week when I return for another 30 days !

With respect, is it really worth taking the chance if you think you might be on the radar? Is it not worth applying for a tourist visa?

• Like 1

OP: The new passport will make no difference - You are in the Immigration system under your Name, DOB and Photo. A new passport will be registered into the system on your arrival.

Do you have a Contract with your current employment?

Can you show a Work Permit from your current employment?

I always assumed this would be enough to show that you are working outside of Thailand but returning to Thailand for R&R.